Ashton Youbouty

If by disappointment you mean he hasn't really had a lot of playing time to see what he can do, then yes, he has been a disappointment. However, he did get to play some significant time at the end of last season and he started to show signs of being the top flight corner we had hoped he could be in this defense. I think he gets this year to see what he can do and if he flops then he's gone. I would note, however, that Youboty has been a frequent visitor to OBD during the offseason and has reportedly been working really hard to try and compete with Greer for the starting second corner spot. He has size, speed and good hands, so if it works out, all the better for us.

If by disappointment you mean he hasn't really had a lot of playing time to see what he can do, then yes, he has been a disappointment. However, he did get to play some significant time at the end of last season and he started to show signs of being the top flight corner we had hoped he could be in this defense. I think he gets this year to see what he can do and if he flops then he's gone. I would note, however, that Youboty has been a frequent visitor to OBD during the offseason and has reportedly been working really hard to try and compete with Greer for the starting second corner spot. He has size, speed and good hands, so if it works out, all the better for us.

Huh? When was this?

It is my understanding that Ashton Youbouty has disappointed us. Any chance this guy sees the door sometime soon?

There likely is no way we show Youbouty the door this year unless the Bills braintrust gets their panties all in a wad and panics.

Specifically the calculus is:

1. Though we are not DDOOMMEEDD at CB as folks who wanted to declare life was over when Clements left (as it really turned out while the Bills D struggled statistically. it was actually the brainstrust slowing the game down with our significant talent and injury issues which saw the D actually play the most significant role indelivering us most of the 7 victories last season (Edwards was very impressive for a rookie but the offense never really showed consistent ability to produce points for the most part last year) we actually are not deep at all at CB. Greer was really our plan D for finding a starter at the spot across from McGee (Webster went on IR, Thomas also went on IR and Youbouty fought injuries as well and never played well enough to claim the spot).

With Webster and Thomas now gone and James being a likelihood at nickel at best, this team cannot afford to not give Youbouty every chance to stand-up and take at least a nickel role if he can.

2. Even under normal circumstances one does not really draw reasonable conclusions about a player until after he has played three years. Certainly one reasonably cuts UDFAs all the time if you do not see anything there that makes you feel like they can make it as a pro. However, Youbouty has gotten the bonus of a first day draft choice slot and demonstrated the play in college to merit this slot. It would simply be stupid to cut him during his third year.

3. There actually is a lot about this particular situation that is not normal that actually probably will earn Youbouty not only this year but next as well

A. The death of him Mom really derailed a lot of his rookie year and learning.

B. Even despite this stilted start, he did show some ability in practice and on the field as he earned a start against NYJ and played well in this winning effort.

C. Even when he came out, the general feeling was Youbouty needed a year of work. He did not get a smooth year of learning as a rookie and there is a reasonable case to see that last year was the troubled first year many thought he would have.

D. He did not show the consistency folks hoped for last year, but in his work as a gunner on ST and with an INT late last year he showed somethings only a fool would simply ignore even though he has disappointed.

All in all has Youbouty shown enough to indicate he probably will be a starter one day? Nope not yet.

However, has he disappointed so much that he clearly should not let the door hit him on the way out?

No to this uninformed view as well. The Bills are too shallow in depth at CB to throw anyone off the bus. Further, what the hard-hearted or vacuous among us might dismiss simply as excuses, rather than excuses there are legit reasons for his play which while they do not forgive him, one would be silly to ignore them.

Further, though he has not won a position at all with his play, he has shown some good things in episodes that also make it premature for us to panic and dismiss him.

All in all has Youbouty shown enough to indicate he probably will be a starter one day? Nope not yet.

However, has he disappointed so much that he clearly should not let the door hit him on the way out?

No to this uninformed view as well. The Bills are too shallow in depth at CB to throw anyone off the bus. Further, what the hard-hearted or vacuous among us might dismiss simply as excuses, rather than excuses there are legit reasons for his play which while they do not forgive him, one would be silly to ignore them.

Further, though he has not won a position at all with his play, he has shown some good things in episodes that also make it premature for us to panic and dismiss him.

I believe I am rather informed.

Huh? When was this?

Check out the last three games of the season when he played significant time and IIRC he actually started in the final game and had a pretty amazing interception. Just to answer your question. And he did look pretty good during the time he played in those games.

I wish we had seen more from him, but we haven't. Even at the end of last year, all he made was that interception. I still remember teams throwing on him, no problem. Unforunately, the potential he showed in college just hasn't translated. I don't think he's a lock to make the team this year.

I think he would have been given more opportunities by the team to play if they believed in him. When we lost Webster, Greer quickly leapfrogged Youboty on the depth chart.

I believe I am rather informed.

I am glad we seem to agree about an assessment of the situation. What I believe is thinking which goes off the deep end is to draw a conclusion form the obvious assessment that we need more from him is that it would likely make any sense at all for the Bills to jump ship on Youbouty at any point this season and likely next as well.

Perhaps he did not show some signs of potential which he has as a gunner, a starter in a winning D effort last year and even an INT late this season. Again it is obvious that these episodes do not a starter make but are the Bills in a position to turn their back on these real world episodes of production.

The answer is no given our depth.

The answer is no given our salary commitment to him even if we cut him.

The answer is no given that there were some real world issues while not acceptable excuses are real world reasons to explain any problems he has had.

Do we show him the door? Incredibly little chance of this happening anytime this season and likely he is a Bill next year as well.

Why is everyone in such a rush with this guy?

I recall him having the "project" label when we drafted him. His career is a whole 2 years deep. Why is everyone rushing to cut him? What is the problem with having him linger at the bottom of the depth chart for another year (or dare I say another two years <_<) to see if he pans out?

I am glad we seem to agree about an assessment of the situation. What I believe is thinking which goes off the deep end is to draw a conclusion form the obvious assessment that we need more from him is that it would likely make any sense at all for the Bills to jump ship on Youbouty at any point this season and likely next as well.

Perhaps he did not show some signs of potential which he has as a gunner, a starter in a winning D effort last year and even an INT late this season. Again it is obvious that these episodes do not a starter make but are the Bills in a position to turn their back on these real world episodes of production.

The answer is no given our depth.

The answer is no given our salary commitment to him even if we cut him.

The answer is no given that there were some real world issues while not acceptable excuses are real world reasons to explain any problems he has had.

Do we show him the door? Incredibly little chance of this happening anytime this season and likely he is a Bill next year as well.

I think your analysis is pretty much spot-on, here. I agree it is almost a certainty that Ashton will be a Bill this season. The only way he gets released, IMO, is if the coaches really believe he is a kitty and that it is apparent to the other players. I doubt that is the case, though.

As for next season, it is too hard to know, right now, IMO. If goes through the season healthy and turns out to be really useless in any role, then he may get the boot. Or, if he is, again, nagged by problems (personal or physical) that keep him from fully participating on a weekly basis, they might consider cutting their loses, next season.

I expect Youboty to be a real contributer, this year.

Why is everyone in such a rush with this guy?

I recall him having the "project" label when we drafted him. His career is a whole 2 years deep. Why is everyone rushing to cut him? What is the problem with having him linger at the bottom of the depth chart for another year (or dare I say another two years <_<) to see if he pans out?

I think there is still some residual upset for some folks who had decided we were DDOOOMMED when Nate walked as an FA with no compensation (a false big concern since FAs leaving without any compensation is the norm when one thinks about what compensation besides cash we gave up to get a Pro Bowl type like TKO or a non-Pro Bowl contributor like Fletch- compensation can happen when the situation breaks right and you play it right like trading PP for a 1st but this is not the norm at all). As it turned out, though our defense proved to be substandard (both without and with NC) the problem was not CB as it turned out we actually were able to get surprisingly good play from Plan D Greer at the #2 CB slot.

Folks for whatever reason seem to have their panties all up in a wad and want to send Youbouty packing even though to do so anytime this year makes little football sense.

The future holds what the future holds and we will see but it easily may not even make football sense to show Youbouty the door next year even if his play is as disappointing and episodic in 08 as it was in 07. It really depends an we will see (how James and a likely 3rd round or second day CB we draft develop). However, it seems really premature to me to show Youbouty the door and I hope we do not waste our 1st round pick in 08 by taking a CB as this rookie will do little to improve our downfield pass coverage this year and will do little but harm if we rely on a rookie CB to cover vets like Moss or Welker.

We may pick a CB with the #1 as the Bills clearly have an interest in simply taking the best player available even though a first round CB picks offers little in the short-term to improve this team, but if we do it will be a sad draft IMHO as this means we will have missed out on a chance to really improve our team and pass pro in 08 by trading down and getting players at the right spots in the draft to immediately improve this team.

It is my understanding that Ashton Youbouty has disappointed us. Any chance this guy sees the door sometime soon?

this is one of the dumbest things ive read recently.. his first yr he gets apass because of family issues,, last yr he got some playing time ,hes likely to step into nickel package this yr ,as a second round pick he will get some time, but writing him off at this point is just rediculous, to what? replace his roster spot with another second or 3rd or whatever ...............the top 3 cbs played at TROY STATE!! TENNESSEE STATE!! AND UNIVERSITy OF SOUTH FLORIDA ,, WHAT you think they ll matchup with moss , edwards or really any decent veteran wr , as rookies ?/ wake up

Dude... I know where you got this... and Connor Byrne is an idiot. He's a 13 year old that blogs... a Vic Carrucci wann-a-be. He's not as swift as 97% of the posters on this board and has zero iinside info.

It's one thing to read his bullschitt, but, to admit that you read his bullschitt is even worse.

There likely is no way we show Youbouty the door this year unless the Bills braintrust gets their panties all in a wad and panics.

Specifically the calculus is:

1. Though we are not DDOOMMEEDD at CB as folks who wanted to declare life was over when Clements left (as it really turned out while the Bills D struggled statistically. it was actually the brainstrust slowing the game down with our significant talent and injury issues which saw the D actually play the most significant role indelivering us most of the 7 victories last season (Edwards was very impressive for a rookie but the offense never really showed consistent ability to produce points for the most part last year) we actually are not deep at all at CB. Greer was really our plan D for finding a starter at the spot across from McGee (Webster went on IR, Thomas also went on IR and Youbouty fought injuries as well and never played well enough to claim the spot).

With Webster and Thomas now gone and James being a likelihood at nickel at best, this team cannot afford to not give Youbouty every chance to stand-up and take at least a nickel role if he can.

2. Even under normal circumstances one does not really draw reasonable conclusions about a player until after he has played three years. Certainly one reasonably cuts UDFAs all the time if you do not see anything there that makes you feel like they can make it as a pro. However, Youbouty has gotten the bonus of a first day draft choice slot and demonstrated the play in college to merit this slot. It would simply be stupid to cut him during his third year.

3. There actually is a lot about this particular situation that is not normal that actually probably will earn Youbouty not only this year but next as well

A. The death of him Mom really derailed a lot of his rookie year and learning.

B. Even despite this stilted start, he did show some ability in practice and on the field as he earned a start against NYJ and played well in this winning effort.

C. Even when he came out, the general feeling was Youbouty needed a year of work. He did not get a smooth year of learning as a rookie and there is a reasonable case to see that last year was the troubled first year many thought he would have.

D. He did not show the consistency folks hoped for last year, but in his work as a gunner on ST and with an INT late last year he showed somethings only a fool would simply ignore even though he has disappointed.

I think our inability to stop the run was rivaled only by how truly awful our secondary was, though clearly injuries played a major role in that outcome. The New England game at home illustrated just how weak we were in the backfield (5 TD passes). I think we ended up 29th against the pass by the end of the year. Webster and Thomas were so good that despite our lack of depth, we didn't sign either of them. Based on my recollection of Webster's play in the preseason, Greer was a likely upgrade.

Getting Ko back will help and so will a better pass rush, if that in fact happens. We need a CB, plain and simple. I know Youboty is young and hasn't had much playing time but I am not willing to ignore his lack of performance so far. If ever a young corner had an opprotunity to become a starter earlier in his career than expected, the Bills were it last year. We lose the top guy to free agency and the journey man replacement lays an egg in preseason. I am not at all encouraged by his inability to take advantage of that opportunity last year.

There have been plenty of CB's that didn't work out until their 3rd year but plenty more made an impact in their frist year (Clements) or their second (Winfield). I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him let go if he doesn't show some sign of improvment though I agree, he probably isn't on a short leash just yet. If the only thing keeping him on the roster is a lack of depth, his days are numbered. I think we are taking a corner at some point in the first three rounds. This is a make or break year for him and if he leaves the door open for another Greer in training camp, he might not even make it to the regular season. Unlikely but then, I would have thought he would have been able to keep Greer on the bench last year.