Bills visit with LB

Jerod Mayo...Tennessee Volunteers LB Jerod Mayo told Sirius NFL Radio that he had a good visit with the Buffalo Bills this past week, in which he met the entire staff of coaches...Mayo also has visits scheduled in the near future with the Detroit Lions and Pittsburgh Steelers.

Late <_<

I just don't see where he'd fit. I see Mayo as a guy who will be starting in the NFL shortly. We already have Crowell and Posluzsny as young, starting LBs. We just signed Kawika Mitchell.

I have to believe if we take a LB in the first or second round, it means we won't re-sign Crowell to a long-term deal after this season.

Could you give us a bit more detail?...

Anytime Buffalo links themselves publicly to a draft pick they never take him because it's just a red herring for other teams to think about. I can't remember a single player that anybody knew Buffalo had interest in that they took in the draft early.

Anytime Buffalo links themselves publicly to a draft pick they never take him because it's just a red herring for other teams to think about. I can't remember a single player that anybody knew Buffalo had interest in that they took in the draft early.

like Poz?

I don't know about that. The Bills are suprisingly predictable if you can read the pre-draft tea leaves without your own personal biases towards a player or position getting in the way. They're one of the more open and honest teams out there regarding their interest in particular prospects.

Their interest in Lynch and Posluszny was widely known a year ago prior to the draft. Modrak spoke extensively and in glowing terms about Lynch in a pre-draft media session.

I was gonna say that all the press we got last year was about Lynch for the most part.

I'm sure that Modrak was asked about Lynch and responded, what else could he do? IIRC, they never brought Poz or Lynch to Buffalo before the draft. I also don't recall them making noise about Poz or Lynch prior to the draft. Nobody saw the Bills taking Whitner two years ago. Draft mags and common sense can predict who the Bills may or may not like in a draft but often times that is wrong because Buffalo plays their cards close to the vest.

I'm saying that bringing in a player is the kiss of death for that player to be in Buffalo IMO.

Perhaps someone can help me out. But, I don't really get all the secrecy with the draft. I know teams do it; I get that. But, why? Does any team select a player just because some other team wants him? Is it because teams don't want someone trading above them to take the same guy? Either way, I'd say it would be stupid for a team to do that. It seems to me, you should do your research and draft the best player for your team and not worry about what other teams are doing.

Happy Easter.

I like Mayo. The Bills are probably thinking about the possibility of Crowell leaving after the year and Mayo taking his place. Mayo would probably be an ideal WLB in our scheme with Kawika moving to SLB. He would be solid value if he lasted till our 2nd round pick, but we have other needs (WR, CB, TE) that I would much rather have us fill first.

I guess a WR in the first, Mayo in the 2nd, CB third, TE/C in the 4th, TE/C/S in the fifth could fill a lot of needs.

Perhaps someone can help me out. But, I don't really get all the secrecy with the draft. I know teams do it; I get that. But, why? Does any team select a player just because some other team wants him? Is it because teams don't want someone trading above them to take the same guy? Either way, I'd say it would be stupid for a team to do that. It seems to me, you should do your research and draft the best player for your team and not worry about what other teams are doing.

Happy Easter.

I think that's it and I don't think it's stupid. Why give your hand away?

I just don't see where he'd fit. I see Mayo as a guy who will be starting in the NFL shortly. We already have Crowell and Posluzsny as young, starting LBs. We just signed Kawika Mitchell.

I have to believe if we take a LB in the first or second round, it means we won't re-sign Crowell to a long-term deal after this season.

Crowell would be a good backup at all 3 positions.

He makes a lot of tackles but is not a playmaker.

The Bills need to add more play makers.

Adding Mithcell as insurance is what the Bills should have done at WR.

Patch the hole and then be free to draft a young stud if the opportunity presents itself - not force yourself to reach for a player

In any event, the Bills need LBs since both Stamer, Coy wire and Hagan are all gone from last year.

Yeah but we should draft an OT in the first, right <_< So we shouldn't draft a LB in round 1 b/c we have are starters in place in just like we have Jason Peters and Langston Walker in place as starters at OT. That was kind of my point the other day.

Yeah but we should draft an OT in the first, right <_< So we shouldn't draft a LB in round 1 b/c we have are starters in place in just like we have Jason Peters and Langston Walker in place as starters at OT. That was kind of my point the other day.

I didn't say we should take an offensive tackle. I said that he was listed as an option because he wouldn't been the best player available. I don't know what's so hard to understand about that.

Dude, he's a one of two defensive captains. They're not going to bench him for a rookie.

They can make him ST captain to keep you happy <_<

he was appointed defensive captain by default.

How many defensive starters had less experience and were not injured?

Happy Easter.

Donahoe moved up to draft Denney because he heard that the Steelers were very interested in him. Look at how well that turned out.

They can make him ST captain to keep you happy <_<

he was appointed defensive captain by default.

How many defensive starters had less experience and were not injured?

Are you crazy? They picked the captains before anyone was hurt. They could've selected multiple guys with experience over Crowell (Triplett, McGee and, most of all, Schobel) but elected to go with Crowell.

Are you crazy? They picked the captains before anyone was hurt. They could've selected multiple guys with experience over Crowell (Triplett, McGee and, most of all, Schobel) but elected to go with Crowell.

my bad

the players voted for Kelsey (non-starter) and Crowell as defensive captains.

The guys evaluating the talent had nothing to do with the selections.

So if the opportunity to draft an impact playmaker at LB I don;t think the front office will be too concerned over who the players picked as captain last year.

my bad

the players voted for Kelsey (non-starter) and Crowell as defensive captains.

The guys evaluating the talent had nothing to do with the selections.

So if the opportunity to draft an impact playmaker at LB I don;t think the front office will be too concerned over who the players picked as captain last year.

Fair enough. I think they like Crowell and likely wouldn't select someone to replace him. But that's just my opinion.

We run a lot of unorthodox Defensive packages in certain situations, like 3 safeties on the field, maybe 3 D-lineman and 4 LB'ers. I'm sure we can make him fit.

Don't know if this fits your definition of early, but we all knew the Bills loved Dwayne Wright last year.