Will next year's WR class

A lot of people are saying that taking a WR at 11 is not the right choice because the talent doesn't warrant the pick. If we don't draft one in the first round, are there any stud receivers who will be in the draft next year that any of you know of who would be the big receiver type we are looking for?

A lot of people are saying that taking a WR at 11 is not the right choice because the talent doesn't warrant the pick. If we don't draft one in the first round, are there any stud receivers who will be in the draft next year that any of you know of who would be the big receiver type we are looking for?

There will be no stud WR's there for us at pick 32 next year

If he comes out next year, Michael Crabtree is projected as a "top 5 stud" which no WR in this year's class is.

In fact, Walter Football's 2009 Mock Draft has Crabtree pegged as the #1 overall pick.

It's all premature now, and he's only going to be a red-shirt sophomore, but he did catch 17 TDs in 7 games last year.

Hopefully if he does go #1, we won't be in a position to pick him!

Actually, there are a bunch of great WR's in this years draft, and not just high picks. If we can trade down in the first and up in the 2nd and somehow come away with WR James Hardy and DT Kentwan Balmer, I would be absolutely ecstatic.

WR's that could be available later include Adarius Bowman, who could be a good slot guy with size in the red zone and Jerome Simpson who is a strong small school prospect, I also like Adrian Arringotn from Michigan as a second day prospect. I see no tight ends that really interest me much, but I say every WR we have except Lee Evans is subject to replacement with a draft pick

if they don't take wr this year, we'll have a top 5 pick. so good question :lol: i don't know the answer

there is more then one round in the draft

Actually, there are a bunch of great WR's in this years draft, and not just high picks. If we can trade down in the first and up in the 2nd and somehow come away with WR James Hardy and DT Kentwan Balmer, I would be absolutely ecstatic.

WR's that could be available later include Adarius Bowman, who could be a good slot guy with size in the red zone and Jerome Simpson who is a strong small school prospect, I also like Adrian Arringotn from Michigan as a second day prospect. I see no tight ends that really interest me much, but I say every WR we have except Lee Evans is subject to replacement with a draft pick

I think your assessment of the WR position in this year's draft is spot on. You could add Jordy Nelson to that later round prospects list. As to the TE situation, there are three who I see that would be immediate upgrades over who we have now coming straight out of the draft. Fred Davis from USC would be the best, followed by Kellen Davis from Michigan State, and Dustin Kellar. All of them would be good TE prospects and had very good numbers in college.

Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech - Dudes a sick individual....uses his hands(never his body) to catch the ball Better then any WR in this draft by far

Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland -Also a guy that heads above any prospect in this years draft....but not on Crabtree's level

and next years draft is just as deep....

Harvin, Maclin, Turner, Robiskie

and my sleeper pick....

Jaison Williams, Oregon - Dudes 6'4'' 250lb runs a 4.55 40....going to be a sick redzone target for some team

I think your assessment of the WR position in this year's draft is spot on. You could add Jordy Nelson to that later round prospects list. As to the TE situation, there are three who I see that would be immediate upgrades over who we have now coming straight out of the draft. Fred Davis from USC would be the best, followed by Kellen Davis from Michigan State, and Dustin Kellar. All of them would be good TE prospects and had very good numbers in college.

Yes, they would be upgrades, but I am much higher on the WR's. A big WR to put in the slot can be just as effective as a TE- at least in the passing game. I think Maningham from MIchigan is almost as overrated as Ginn was last year- as an OSU fan, I recognize that Ginn was a great college player, but he had no idea what route running is. I have a feeling that Gholston will be the OSU bust in this year's draft- I am not high on him at all.

Unless George Selvie has a Tommy Blake meltdown, he is destined to be a top 5 pick, IMO!!

Side Note: I hope and pray the Bills leave Kentwan Balmer alone, Rubin and Bryant are my personal favorites at DT!

I agree, but thats only if he adds weight. At 240 using a top 5 pick is a risk for DE. Towards to lower part of the draft though a 240 DE is worth it(see Dwight Freeney).

Just watched a Crabtree highlight video, he's a man among boys out there and he's a freshman! Only two games last year with under 100 yards receiving, 7 games over 150, 2 games over 200. Only 3 games he didn't have a TD and had 5 games with 3!!! Wow. Never knew about him. Was I on another planet or something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPz7caPqoJE

Yes, they would be upgrades, but I am much higher on the WR's. A big WR to put in the slot can be just as effective as a TE- at least in the passing game.

There is no comparison between a big WR and a TE. TE's often find themselves wide open or matched up against LB's because they are initially lined up as a blocker. A WR in the slot is pretty much going to be covered and covered by a corner. The operative word being "covered". Like "USC" Mike Williams, Reggie Williams or that guy from USC in last years draft who said he wasn't another Mike Williams, but was.

That's why a guy like Carlson from ND could come in next season and outperform a WR of the same height who has greater speed, quickness and receiving skill. You can't regularly put a coverage defender on a TE because it creates an instant mismatch in the run game. The Bills need a good TE so bad it's not funny.

I agree about Gholston though. Not one of my favorite players in this draft.