DE Derrick Harvey's Pro Day at UF.

What's your point?

Ever seen footage of Bruce Smith vs. Tony Boselli?

My point is that you can click on the link to see Harvey go about 10 selected plays against the top OT prospect. People can make their own judgements on the guy. As far as our defense goes, improving our pass rush has got the be the #1 priority.

Yes, Boselli was always solid against Bruce, but those were some good years back then.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I truly appreciate the debate about Derrick Harvey, but the film of his play against Michigan could easily be offset by his play against Ohio State with a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP on the line..... three sacks if I'm not mistaken!! Every argument has its flip side!

I don't think that is true. They always listed Bruce at like 275lbs, but he later admitted he really played at like 230lbs often. So did Charles Haley.

hummmm.....I recall it just a bit heavier.....He played in the high 250's, low 260's....

Lori?

Honestly regardless of whether or not we draft harvey, we should be drafting defensive ends either this year or next. I really think Kelsay and Denney are gone after this season. Regardless of contracts. They will be moved. They're not natural fits for this defense. Neither are really starters. Our defensive line is far from a finished project. It needed a complete overhaul, the way the oline got last year. It's nowhere near finished.

AFreakinMEN!! That being said none of these wr's should be rated close to derrick harvey, or in the improbably scenairo he slips Vernon Gholston. The Bills can just as easily get a mediocre complimentary wr in rds 2-4, rather then overdrafting one in the 1st.

Nothing says we cant trade back up in the draft to get a wr if they feel the need..No doubt if he is that dominating and he is there you have to draft him...

Its more likly that the bills will trade down with a team who is interested in this guy.

WR, TE, and CB are much much more important at this point. Though, if he looks to be a pro bowl type guy... then ok. But we would then HAVE to take a WR in the 2nd, or trade back up into the 1st.

Its more likly that the bills will trade down with a team who is interested in this guy.

WR, TE, and CB are much much more important at this point. Though, if he looks to be a pro bowl type guy... then ok. But we would then HAVE to take a WR in the 2nd, or trade back up into the 1st.

I'm sorry but with all due respect I don't see it. These three positions, WR, TE, and CB, appear as positions that are important but not crucial. The WR we need is for the #2 receiver position, the TE isn't a position that we ever relied heavily on, so why now and CB in the Cover 2 defense isn't someone that needs to be a high profiled CB. It's the safeties and DL that is critical to this type of defense.

While they do need a pass rusher and I think they will draft a DE, I just don't see it happening in R1. The Bills already have three 2nd round picks and about $85 million tied up in Kelsay, Schobel and Denney over the course of the next several seasons. I can't see them burning a high 1st rounder on another DE and adding yet another $20-25M to the outlay at the position over the next 5 or 6 years.

All our DE's are in the latter stages of their career. Keep in mind we roatate or D-lineman in waves. Adding a 4th DE in RD #1 is by no means out of the question. He would be the 2nd-3rd guy out on the field and would most likely supplant one our DE's (most likely Denney in the future). Something everyone is overlooking is that we need another Tackle/Guard. Brad Butler is by no means cemented in the starting line

I'm sorry but with all due respect I don't see it. These three positions, WR, TE, and CB, appear as positions that are important but not crucial. The WR we need is for the #2 receiver position, the TE isn't a position that we ever relied heavily on, so why now and CB in the Cover 2 defense isn't someone that needs to be a high profiled CB. It's the safeties and DL that is critical to this type of defense.

I do see your point about our need for a #2 WR as opposed to a #1, but do you really want to see Reed lined up outside opposite Evans? I sure as hell dont. He is just not that type of WR. And yes, we dont need a #1 WR, but we do need 2 WRs that can actually start in the basic 2 WR formation.

The bills have not used the TE much at all. He was usually kept in to block and really only used as a last resort. But The TE position has been developing in the NFL. Now teams are starting to use that position more and realize that they can create more mismatches agenst LBs. The bills NEED a TE. Most of the good ones (capable of starting) will be available in the 2nd round.

CB is not a big priority IMO. I would like to see a true #1 CB, but not for the huge contract amounts that i have seen recently. Greer has developed into a good CB. McGee is... good enough. but we still need depth, and maybe one of those depth guys will turn out to be a solid starter. The bills have recently signed old average players to 1-2 year deals basically puting a bandaid on our CB problems (just like last year...) So i can definatly see them taking a CB in the 3rd, using him as depth and hoping he developed into a true (cheap) starter.

As for DE. We do need much more pressure on the QB. But I think that if we actually stop the run, the offense will throw more and actually give us a chance to get sacks. Every game last year, it seemed like every run agenst our D went for either negative yards or 8 yards (a lot more went for 8 yards). Yes the Bills need a DE opposite Shobel, but the DEs we have are "good enough" to, at least in my opinion, push the need for a DE below the need for a WR in the 1st.

ANd I also dont think the bills will take a DE in the 2nd round. The drop off in tallent at the DE position from the #11 spot to the #42 spot is HUGE. I dout the bills will find a DE capable of starting at the #42 spot. While I do think they can find a TE capable of starting at that same spot.

ANd I also dont think the bills will take a DE in the 2nd round. The drop off in tallent at the DE position from the #11 spot to the #42 spot is HUGE. I dout the bills will find a DE capable of starting at the #42 spot. While I do think they can find a TE capable of starting at that same spot.

I think that you answered this yourself about our need for a DE and the available talent to fill it. Why would we forsake this position if we don't address it with our 1st rd pick but address our #2 receiver position with our 1st rd pick when there is ample talent for this position in the 2nd and 3rd rds?