Carlson improves stock

he was considered arguably the top TE in the draft because he was considered the best complete TE. Ran terribly at the combine - a 4.89. But reportedly ran a 4.72 and a 4.67 at the on-campus workout according to Chris Brown.

In my mind, he now becomes a major consideration in the 2nd or 3rd.

here's a real link - newspaper says his combine stunk because he was recovering from the flu where he lost 17 lbs.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs....496/1001/Sports

Uhh, he is a monster receiver. Don't sleep on him just cause he was on our team that sucked last year with a QB who can't pass gas. He will be an excellent TE as a pro, he catches EVERYTHING. I would be ecstatic if we took him- I think he's better than Keller as far as being polished player and we can get him a rd later; that leaves us free to go CB/WR in rds 1-2 and we get our 3 major needs filled immediately.

Looks like Zbikowski wowed some people too.

He is a freak. I would like to see the Bills draft him and even created a thread about Zbikowski. Problem is he plays strong safety and we are all set there. This kid is gonna be a solid player and special teams demon!

Of course, although I do like a couple other WR's that still may be available ahead of Nelson like Doucet or Hardy, I'm 100% with you on that approach Horus. :P Best WR available in the 2nd (peferably with size).

Just based upon the last 10 drafts, the 41st overall pick will, on average, net the 7th WR on the board. So if that holds true, you can write off James Hardy and probably even guys like Early Doucet and Mario Manningham. You're looking more at the clear 2nd tier guys like Andre Caldwell and Jordy Nelson.

I'm very lukewarm on Carlson. I just don't see him being a difference maker in the NFL. I view him ultimately as a solid option in two-TE sets.

He seems like he could be in the Jason Witten mold to me. I wouldn't mind that at all.

Carlson looked like crap at the combine, so I am glad there was an excuse.

The #1 reason you draft this kid is for his head. Trent Edwards has a great mind, and a good feel out on the field. A guy like Carlson should know where to put himself in the passing game, and could very easily turn into a go-to guy. NE exploded because of Welker. Welker has the freedom to motion and choose his own routes. Brady is smart enough to feel it too. When you keep hitting soft spots for 4,7,12 yards...you are going to see things tighten up and allow Moss a little more breathing room. Josh Reed is already a smart route runner. If we go WR in the 1st and Carlson is still there in the 2nd, with his 17lbs back on that he lost at the combine....all of a sudden the Bills have all the makings of another K-gun attack.

Carlson looked like crap at the combine, so I am glad there was an excuse.

The #1 reason you draft this kid is for his head. Trent Edwards has a great mind, and a good feel out on the field. A guy like Carlson should know where to put himself in the passing game, and could very easily turn into a go-to guy. NE exploded because of Welker. Welker has the freedom to motion and choose his own routes. Brady is smart enough to feel it too. When you keep hitting soft spots for 4,7,12 yards...you are going to see things tighten up and allow Moss a little more breathing room. Josh Reed is already a smart route runner. If we go WR in the 1st and Carlson is still there in the 2nd, with his 17lbs back on that he lost at the combine....all of a sudden the Bills have all the makings of another K-gun attack.

I like Trent as much as the next guy, but i mean come on, i mean cooooooooome on.

Kelly >>>>>>>>>>>> Trent

Andre >>>>> Evans

Lofton >>>> Reed

Thurman >> Lynch

Kent Hull >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fowler

Hopefully Trent continues to progress, but that's a bit of a stretch at this point.

If he isn't much of a receiving threat then how is he the most complete? Unfortunately, we need a big receiving threat, either at WR or TE. Touchdowns must be scored or there is little chance to move up (obvious, i know) I say no to the DOMER this time. How about a guy that can make some plays... Fred Davis, Limus Sweed...either one would vastly improve the situation because EITHER one of them should be immediate starters.

Carlson in 2007 40 catches 9.3 ypc 3tds.... (1 td against Duke,1 against Air Force) I doubt he had the flu all last fall.

I like Trent as much as the next guy, but i mean come on, i mean cooooooooome on.

Kelly >>>>>>>>>>>> Trent

Andre >>>>> Evans

Lofton >>>> Reed

Thurman >> Lynch

Kent Hull >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fowler

Hopefully Trent continues to progress, but that's a bit of a stretch at this point.

LOL!!! I think the Josh Reed to James Lofton comparison is the biggest stretch of all. I guess Parrish is our "new age" Beebe. I could see Carlson being our new Metzellars. Seriously though, I'm a huge ND fan and watch every game. I've watched Carlson over his ND career and truly believe that he can be a top 10 TE in the NFL. The guy is very smart at what he does as far as runnung routes and he's a solid blocker. During Quinn's senior season, he put up great #'s. Why? Because he had a QB that was on the same mental level with the offense as he was. He would definitely be an upgrade and would be our starter from day one. It also wouldn't surprise me at all if he was making the Pro-Bowl within the first couple of years being in the league. He IS that good of a player.

If he isn't much of a receiving threat then how is he the most complete? Unfortunately, we need a big receiving threat, either at WR or TE. Touchdowns must be scored or there is little chance to move up (obvious, i know) I say no to the DOMER this time. How about a guy that can make some plays... Fred Davis, Limus Sweed...either one would vastly improve the situation because EITHER one of them should be immediate starters.

Carlson in 2007 40 catches 9.3 ypc 3tds.... (1 td against Duke,1 against Air Force) I doubt he had the flu all last fall.

You should think before you randomly spew out stats. Jimmy Claussen was the worst QB in the history of life last year, not to mention that Weis was piss poor at everything. You want a better indication of his talent look at 07 where he gained 634 yards, averaging 13.5/catch, 4 TDs and a LONG of 62yds. On top of that you have to consider that in '07- Brady was lobbing long TD passes to Samardzija and McKnight. Sammy was a beast at catching jump balls and he got most of those calls. When you play in an offense that was as high gear as that one you make the plays when your number is called. Since I actually went to every home game that season and watched every minute of the away games, I think I probably have a better idea about the guy's talent level than you do. And if you would take a minute to look at how I post you would see that I don't just randomly praise all ND players. Limus Sweed is a WR, so how exactly are you grouping him with TE's? :)

It appears that Carlson's draft status may suffer like Trent's last year in that both: (1) played for lousy teams their senior year and (2) were affected by the flu at the time of the combine. Similarly, Carlson, like Trent, would be an absolute steal in the third round.