The Front Office Must Know Something We Don't

Virgil

I know it's easy for fans to look at size and speed, and then assume that people will bolster our team's effectiveness. I admit, I was really hoping that we would have gotten Bryant Johnson just cause of when he was drafted, his size, and the fact that he pry never got a chance to shine in Arizona behind the big 2. However, as Johnson signed, and now Hacket, I really think that these guys would have been huge disappointments.

Johnson signed only a one year deal for 2 million and Hackett signed a two year deal for only 3.5 million. This is total chump change. We know that the front office has pegged WR as a need, they have told us as much. No matter who we take in the draft, we will pay them more that those two got. So, I think we have to assume that there was just something wrong with these guys. And hey, if you don't have faith in that, then why didn't any of the other 30 teams jump all over these guys? I mean, from a outside standpoint, you would look at these guys and they would scream solid number 2 at you. How many teams really have that?

Maybe this will all blow up in our face, but I truly believe that there are reasons behind this and it will all work out in the end

I know it's easy for fans to look at size and speed, and then assume that people will bolster our team's effectiveness. I admit, I was really hoping that we would have gotten Bryant Johnson just cause of when he was drafted, his size, and the fact that he pry never got a chance to shine in Arizona behind the big 2. However, as Johnson signed, and now Hacket, I really think that these guys would have been huge disappointments.

Johnson signed only a one year deal for 2 million and Hackett signed a two year deal for only 3.5 million. This is total chump change. We know that the front office has pegged WR as a need, they have told us as much. No matter who we take in the draft, we will pay them more that those two got. So, I think we have to assume that there was just something wrong with these guys. And hey, if you don't have faith in that, then why didn't any of the other 30 teams jump all over these guys? I mean, from a outside standpoint, you would look at these guys and they would scream solid number 2 at you. How many teams really have that?

Maybe this will all blow up in our face, but I truly believe that there are reasons behind this and it will all work out in the end

Johnson was offered a multi-year deal by the Bills and turned it down.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

Johnson was offered a multi-year deal by the Bills and turned it down.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

I hadn't read that yet. That's a good read and makes sense. But almost makes me feel better cause I don't want another McGahee proclaiming himself worthy of things he's never proven. I think he made a big mistake though choosing San Fran as the place to show what he's made of for one year. I'd be curious to know what money Buffalo offered. If it was 4-5 million a year and he still balked, then he's a fricked idiot.

I hadn't read that yet. That's a good read and makes sense. But almost makes me feel better cause I don't want another McGahee proclaiming himself worthy of things he's never proven. I think he made a big mistake though choosing San Fran as the place to show what he's made of for one year. I'd be curious to know what money Buffalo offered. If it was 4-5 million a year and he still balked, then he's a fricked idiot.

These guys always think they are worth more than they actually are. He is taking a big risk.

The Johnson deal came down to money, and the Bills didn't want to pay. I think he would have been perfect as a number 2 wr for the Bills. A rookie will take 2 to 3 years to develop.

what the hell is perfect about johnson.... He's never had a 50 catch year... His TD numbers are low, plus he started 50% of Ariz games over 2 years and still couldn't come close to #2 numbers.

I would have liked to have BJ here as insurance, but I wouldn't over pay him for the privilledge especialy since there is no reason why a 1st rd WR couldn't match Johnsons numbers from day 1.

what the hell is perfect about johnson.... He's never had a 50 catch year... His TD numbers are low, plus he started 50% of Ariz games over 2 years and still couldn't come close to #2 numbers.

I would have liked to have BJ here as insurance, but I wouldn't over pay him for the privilledge especialy since there is no reason why a 1st rd WR couldn't match Johnsons numbers from day 1.

There was way too much love of Johnson around here. Not that there was anything wrong with that, I just never understood it.

$2 mil for 1 year of insurance for Johnson while your rookie matures makes too much sense.

The title of this thread, makes me think of that jets draft video where the jets pass up on marino and the guy goes "The jets front office must know something we fans don't. They said if Marino was there they'd talk them. They must know something we don't" :censored: As far as Bryant Johnson goes. I could've done with/without him. I would've prefered having him here, strictly to avoid the very real possibility, of having to draft a wr at 11.

$2 mil for 1 year of insurance for Johnson while your rookie matures makes too much sense.

It actually makes very little sense. If you take a wide reciever in rounds 1 or 2, he's going to start. Then we have Roscoe and Reed in the slot...that's already a very deep group of recievers. There just wouldn't be anything left for Johnson. I'm really baffled by people who thought (and some who still seem to think) we were (or are) going to acquire two new recievers. Its just completely unnecessary.

We have two deep threats in Roscoe and Evans, a good 3rd down guy who can work the middle of the field in Reed...there's just one role that needs to be filled, a possession reciever with SIZE who can help in the red zone. You don't need two guys to fill that roll.

The title of this thread, makes me think of that jets draft video where the jets pass up on marino and the guy goes "The jets front office must know something we fans don't. They said if Marino was there they'd talk them. They must know something we don't" :doh: As far as Bryant Johnson goes. I could've done with/without him. I would've prefered having him here, strictly to avoid the very real possibility, of having to draft a wr at 11.

Here is that video

Yea being in Arizona really helps....

Yea being in Arizona, behind one of the better 1/2 combos in the league(Fitz/Boldin) really helps....

Yea being in Arizona, behind one of the better 1/2 combos in the league(Fitz/Boldin), while being part of on the more patheticlly run offenses really helps....

Yea being in Arizona, behind one of the better 1/2 combos in the league(Fitz/Boldin), while being part of on the more patheticlly run offenses, with one of the worst list of QB's really helps....

bottom line is he couldnt put up #2 type numbers over the years because of the above reasons....he did put up some solid numbers for a #3 though....

but was he worth the money he wanted....right now probably not....but the potential is definately there...

and barring injury i bet he puts up a 70 850 6 type year at the minium this season in Martz's pass happy offense