Bryant Johnson replaces Darrell Jackson

Report: 49er WR additions lead to D-Jax exit

NFL Network's Adam Schefter is reporting that the 49ers will part ways with WR Darrell Jackson.

After adding Isaac Bruce and Bryant Johnson, the team no longer needed the disappointing Jackson. It's doubtful that Jackson will ever repeat his pre-2005 numbers, but he will draw interest from teams with a West Coast offense. Likely destinations include the Eagles, Redskins, Bucs, and Vikings. Mar. 15 - 8:49 am et

Have you heard of him?

:thumbsup:

My contribution to the "I heard of him, let's sign him!" posts:

PFT Rumormill - Jackson released

Seriously, this guy knows how to get open. The trouble is, he can't catch. But it might be nice to see a receiver with a little separation and hope that the catch is made, rather than throwing to guys with defenders draped all over them, where we pretty much know the connection won't be made.

Report: 49er WR additions lead to D-Jax exit

NFL Network's Adam Schefter is reporting that the 49ers will part ways with WR Darrell Jackson.

After adding Isaac Bruce and Bryant Johnson, the team no longer needed the disappointing Jackson. It's doubtful that Jackson will ever repeat his pre-2005 numbers, but he will draw interest from teams with a West Coast offense. Likely destinations include the Eagles, Redskins, Bucs, and Vikings. Mar. 15 - 8:49 am et

Have you heard of him?

D Jax is a gritty veteran WR and could be a useful addition to the Bills if we are drafting a WR #1.... This season he could easily compete for the #2 job and help groom our youngster... then if he signed more than a 1-yr contract, he could provide depth and leadership 'ala Chris Carter in his final two years with Randy Moss up in Minnesota.

I will excuse his lackluster season with the 49ers simply since their QB position was so bad... I think D Jax has some gas left in the tank... he could fill a role for us...

He is not a "gritty veteran" - stop it. He is a DOG. He is considered possibly the biggest DOG in the league, always complaining about various ailments. He hates practicing and doesn't stay in shape. Forget it. The Bills are NEVER going to sign him, so please no more threads about this crap.

He was coming on as a pretty good receiver, but never really became one of the elite studs of the NFL. And, then in 2005 he suffered a pretty serious knee injury and hasn't been the same since. The Seahawks let him walk because, although he was nominally their "#1 guy", he was being outperformed by others.

The fact that Bryant Johnson went to the '9ers is a good indication, going by past evidence of '9er signings, that the Bills didn't throw a ton of money at a WR that just isn't going to ever turn the corner.

He was coming on as a pretty good receiver, but never really became one of the elite studs of the NFL. And, then in 2005 he suffered a pretty serious knee injury and hasn't been the same since. The Seahawks let him walk because, although he was nominally their "#1 guy", he was being outperformed by others.

The fact that Bryant Johnson went to the '9ers is a good indication, going by past evidence of '9er signings, that the Bills didn't throw a ton of money at a WR that just isn't going to ever turn the corner.

D-Jax has dynamite hands. The ball explodes right off of them.

Now this is a guy who was a number 1, got cut cause of money, and played one year in an offense that no one could have looked good in. Personally, I think this would be a great acquisition.

I'm talking about the WR Darrell Jackson, formerly of Seattle..

JoeF, come one where you at buddy? Lagging behind :thumbsup:

lets get him. we need to add a WR w/ experience. and he's still only 29. he was excellent in seattle and even w/ 9ers put up decent #'s on a terrible team. if we go into this season w/ evans and a bunch of rooks at WR and TE, we are doomed to yet another terrible season on offense. whats the point of investing so much in the Oline if we stink at receiving positions?

lets get him. we need to add a WR w/ experience. and he's still only 29. he was excellent in seattle and even w/ 9ers put up decent #'s on a terrible team. if we go into this season w/ evans and a bunch of rooks at WR and TE, we are doomed to yet another terrible season on offense. whats the point of investing so much in the Oline if we stink at receiving positions?

Back when he was in Seattle, he was seen as having huge potential, but he always had a bad case of the dropsies that I don't believe he ever over came. His speed may also be waning so his value is considerably less than it may once have been. Seems to me we really need to look a lot harder than to make a move for Jackson at this point. What we need is to find someone else who is buried behind someone else and who actually has talent (a la Frank Lewis).

if you can sign him for the same or less than you offer guys like Bryant Johnson or DJ Hackett, and he has a clean bill of health, i would sign him and then draft a tall WR early. Jackson, when he was right a couple years ago performed as a Top 10 WR. dropsies can be cured -- just ask Josh Reed. if the Bills can get that type of WR and believe his injury problems are a thing of the past, they should go grab him. then they could truly go after the best available player regardless of position in the draft.

Not that the Bills will or even should pick him up, but I wonder why the Bills were not even mentioned as a team even possibly interested in him. The report mentioned the "Eagles, Redskins, Bucs, and Vikings" but not the Bills?!?!

They were specifically saying that he would most likely draw interest from teams that run the West Coast Offense. All of the teams listed run some variance of the WCO (or will, now that Zorn is head coach at Washington) and the Bills don't. I don't know what you call our offense, but it's not a WCO.