Who will be McCain's running mate

I have a hard time seeing the GOP rallying around Crist since there is a 99% chance that he is gay. I'm sure that the Dems would like it as it might keep the "Born Again" voters home on election day.

Really?!? Another closeted Republican?

Honestly, I hadn't heard that.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a hard time seeing the GOP rallying around Crist since there is a 99% chance that he is gay. I'm sure that the Dems would like it as it might keep the "Born Again" voters home on election day.

Just like there's a 99% chance your an idiot?

I don't think there is any chance for Lieberman. McCain's only chance to win the election is to get the Republican base, staunch conservatives and evangelicals out in huge numbers like Bush did. If they stay home, he's not going to win with the independents. And Lieberman, even though he is for the war, is still liberal in many of his views. That choice would be McCain's death knell. I hope he makes it!

McCain's only chance to win the election is to get the Republican base, staunch conservatives and evangelicals out in huge numbers like Bush did.

I think you're underestimating the incompetence of the Democratic Party.

I mean, I wish I believed you're right. But the Democrats are already demonstrating their capacity for self-destruction.

I think you're underestimating the incompetence of the Democratic Party.

I mean, I wish I believed you're right. But the Democrats are already demonstrating their capacity for self-destruction.

True. But I really think they lucked upon a candidate that actually has the one thing they need to win an election: A pulse.

If Obama is the nominee, I would not be surprised to see Condi Rice or Colin Powell as the VP choice. I really like Powell myself (but I have doubts about whether his wife would want him to run). I do not suspect that either would deliver much of the African-American vote away from Obama. Yet, they would insulate (at least somewhat) McCain from any ridiculous charges of racism when McCain is forced to go after Obama regarding his liberal positions and questionable associations.

I could also see Crist (notwithstanding the rumors). He was instrumental in delivering Florida in the primary and would be instrumental in delivering Florida in the general.

True. But I really think they lucked upon a candidate that actually has the one thing they need to win an election: A pulse.

You must be referring to the white black guy. Because I'm not sure that applies to the black white woman.

I'm going to think outside the box and say Kristin the Prostitute.

She'll attract the youth vote, she's a woman, people are apparently into her signing, and she can help make up the difference in the U.S. budget.

McCain's only chance to win the election is to get the Republican base, staunch conservatives and evangelicals out in huge numbers like Bush did. If they stay home, he's not going to win with the independents.

But if Hillary gets the nomination, I think a lot of those people come out regardless of the GOP candidate.

But if Hillary gets the nomination, I think a lot of those people come out regardless of the GOP candidate.

Agreed. That's why she has virtually zero chance of winning the nomination.

I know some if not most here will say, yes, the Democrats ARE that stupid, but no one is that stupid, outside of, perhaps, Wacka Molson.

No matter what anyone says, ultimately they know that if the black dude has more votes, states and delegates, and got them from the black and young votes, they will ultimately not risk a civil war just to put Hillary in.

To me, this entire Presidential race is already over, and yes, I know there is no such thing as a lock. But unless something unforeseen comes out about Obama (which is possible), Hillary has zero chance. And McCain barely has one. It's not that Obama is the messiah, or even all that great a politician, he just has far, far too many good things going for him to lose, most of which aren't even of his own doing (meaning the way the war has gone, the economy, people sick of Bush, the way the world thinks of us, the lack of a strong conservative (or Hillary) to draw out the base and religious folk on the other side, etc).

Agreed. That's why she has virtually zero chance of winning the nomination.

I know some if not most here will say, yes, the Democrats ARE that stupid, but no one is that stupid, outside of, perhaps, Wacka Molson.

No matter what anyone says, ultimately they know that if the black dude has more votes, states and delegates, and got them from the black and young votes, they will ultimately not risk a civil war just to put Hillary in.

To me, this entire Presidential race is already over, and yes, I know there is no such thing as a lock. But unless something unforeseen comes out about Obama (which is possible), Hillary has zero chance. And McCain barely has one. It's not that Obama is the messiah, or even all that great a politician, he just has far, far too many good things going for him to lose, most of which aren't even of his own doing (meaning the way the war has gone, the economy, people sick of Bush, the way the world thinks of us, the lack of a strong conservative (or Hillary) to draw out the base and religious folk on the other side, etc).

It will be Obama vs. McCain with a McCain win!!! ;)

How do I know? I just send my step mother, a stanch Democrat from Massachusetts, the link to the Rev. Wright going off like the racist he is and his anti-American tirade and she wrote me back saying there is no way she could support him after seeing his pastor say those things.

Game-Set-Match!!!

It will be Obama vs. McCain with a McCain win!!! ;)

How do I know? I just send my step mother, a stanch Democrat from Massachusetts, the link to the Rev. Wright going off like the racist he is and his anti-American tirade and she wrote me back saying there is no way she could support him after seeing his pastor say those things.

Game-Set-Match!!!

Wanna put $100 on it right now?

Wanna put $100 on it right now?

I'm amazed you're that confident. Right now all the head to head polls are close, and I think all the fawning praise of Obama will continue to get old over the next few months (Saturday Night Live got the ball rolling on that couple weeks back).

I wouldn't want to put any money on any candidate right now. It feels like the roulette table.

I'm amazed you're that confident. Right now all the head to head polls are close, and I think all the fawning praise of Obama will continue to get old over the next few months (Saturday Night Live got the ball rolling on that couple weeks back).

I wouldn't want to put any money on any candidate right now. It feels like the roulette table.

The last two times... with the country and dollar and economy in decent shape... the war not in existence yet or still favored by the majority... Bush not completely hated yet... with Rove around with his incredible ability to get the base out and scare the evangelicals that gay marriage will ruin their lives... and with absolutely abysmal candidates with less than zero personality... the Democrats still should have won. This time they have a charismatic candidate, whom most people like, and the Republicans have everything reversed and going against them. It's not even going to be close.

Again, unless something about Obama comes out that throw the whole thing out of whack, or he makes a criminally stupid gaffe, both of which are possible but I sincerely doubt.

This time they have a charismatic candidate, whom most people like,

There is that. If Gore or Kerry have even a trace of Obama's personality, they win running away. I said it four years ago: the most beatable president in US history, and the Democratic party manages to pick the only guy who can't beat him.

Again, unless something about Obama comes out that throw the whole thing out of whack, or he makes a criminally stupid gaffe, both of which are possible but I sincerely doubt.

Or if the unnecessarily vicious and stupid Obama-Clinton race keeps the party divided after the primaries. There have been rumblings that some Democrats would sooner vote Republican than "the other Democrat".

But then, there's plenty of far-right Republicans who wouldn't vote for McCain, either...though I'm not sure they'd go as far as voting for Clinton or Obama. But still, given that in '04 quite a few people voted "the other party" because "their guy" was a complete schmuck, it's not unprecedented. I still think the Republicans squeak out yet another close win in November, simply because over the past 20 or so years they've done a far better job mobilizing their base than the Democrats have, and I see no signs of that changing. But I wouldn't even dream of betting on it.

But really...as long as we never, ever, ever again in my lifetime have another Bush or Clinton in the White House, I'm good. ;)