Kelly vs Sweed

Many here on TBD seem to want us to pick Malcolm Kelly. OK cool.

But I was searching through some of the numerous mock drafts out there and some have us drafting Limas Sweed. Can someone give me a run down of why we would want one over the other?

Thanks in advance!

Many here on TBD seem to want us to pick Malcolm Kelly. OK cool.

But I was searching through some of the numerous mock drafts out there and some have us drafting Limas Sweed. Can someone give me a run down of why we would want one over the other?

Thanks in advance!

Kelly runs soon and then we will see what the difference is. Sweed is taller and ran a 4.46 at the combine. He was hurt this past year and most likely has much higher upside. Kelly is big and sure handed. If he runs fast at his workout he is number one WR in this draft. If he runs slow Sweed will be the top rated IMO

Kelly runs soon and then we will see what the difference is. Sweed is taller and ran a 4.6 at the combine. He was hurt this past year and most likely has much higher upside. Kelly is big and sure handed. If he runs fast at his workout he is number one WR in this draft. If he runs slow Sweed will be the top rated IMO

If Sweed is healthy, it sounds like either one would be OK.

Thanks!

Kelly runs soon and then we will see what the difference is. Sweed is taller and ran a 4.6 at the combine. He was hurt this past year and most likely has much higher upside. Kelly is big and sure handed. If he runs fast at his workout he is number one WR in this draft. If he runs slow Sweed will be the top rated IMO

If you watch some video on the guys they are both exactly what we need. Both are big play wide outs who have superior size. I personally think more of Kelly but that's only because I've seen alot of him. The video I've seen of Sweed makes him very interesting. I think if you get either of the top two you are going to get a pretty good player.

If you watch some video on the guys they are both exactly what we need. Both are big play wide outs who have superior size. I personally think more of Kelly but that's only because I've seen alot of him. The video I've seen of Sweed makes him very interesting. I think if you get either of the top two you are going to get a pretty good player.

Thank you for giving the CORRECT answer. I am so sick and tired of hearing about meaningless 40 times. Yes, they are meaningless if they are not covered and wearing pads. I don't care what they can run not in pads uncovered and not in the context of a football game. If you like the combine, trade the 11th overall for Matt Jones.

Easy answer.

Kelly is a well rounded, big, WR who gets open due to his size and height rather than speed.

Sweed is a WR who has size and height but relys on finesse, and route running to get open. Sweed also is lanky in the lower body and has a penchant for getting inured.

I would be happy with either but Kelly is the better player IMO.

Guest dog14787

I like Kelly and Sweed both, but Malcom Kelly looks better to me because of his ability to adjust to a poorly thrown ball and make the harder catch. Something I'm sure a QB appreciates. I think Malcom Kelly will adjust to the NFL quicker also.

Sweed is a WR who has size and height but relys on finesse, and route running to get open. Sweed also is lanky in the lower body and has a penchant for getting inured.

Uh, what? Thats not at all correct.

Sweed couldn't run routes at all before he got to Texas, and what he does know is from what he learned here. He's improved largely, but he's still not a great route runner. To get open, he relies on his strength, and while he doesn't have great top end speed, he does seem to have a quick acceleration ability at times (though he is inconsistent with it). He's very good at finding the hole in a zone over the middle of the field.

Also, a penchant for getting injured? He became the starter a few games into 2004, and played every single game in 2004, 2005, and 2006, before he got injured in 2007. He started 39 consecutive games.

There's a guy on Sirius NFL Radio and writes for ESPN that was a coach & scout (Dean Dalton) who says he doesn't think Sweed has the speed to be a #1 receiver in the NFL. He actually sees him as an "H-Back" like Chris Cooley of the Redskins and could be great that way.

:lol:

Malcom Kelly, in previous events, had been clocked at around a 4.45-4.50. Sweed has averaged a 4.50 as well (he ran a 4.46 at the combine).

I like Kelly and Sweed both, but Malcom Kelly looks better to me because of his ability to adjust to a poorly thrown ball and make the harder catch. Something I'm sure a QB appreciates. I think Malcom Kelly will adjust to the NFL quicker also.

I agree that Kelly will adjust to the NFL quicker, as he is a better route runner, but one of Sweeds strengths also is his ability to adjust to a poorly thrown ball.

:lol:

Malcom Kelly, in previous events, had been clocked at around a 4.45-4.50. Sweed has averaged a 4.50 as well (he ran a 4.46 at the combine).

Thanks to BlueFire for setting the Limas Sweed information straight.

As much as I love the 'Horns and Sweed, I just don't see either one of these receivers deserving of #11 overall.

A trade down needs to happen!

Late

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/...articleid=30054

"1. Limas Sweed, Texas

Height/Weight: 6'4/212

College Experience: Fifth-year senior

Combine Results: 4.46 forty, 35" vertical

Comparison: Herman Moore

Draft Projection: Late first to early second round

2007 Statistics: 19-306-16.1-3 Tds

Positives: Sweed does not drop passes he should catch, especially over his shoulder. He is a remarkably fluid athlete with near ideal top-end speed for his size. Sweed has an outstanding work ethic, on-field demeanor, and the confident swagger often found in "No. 1" receivers. He is not dominant over the middle, but understands how to avoid big hits. Sweed's arms measured the second longest at the Senior Bowl, behind only Adarius Bowman.

Negatives: Sweed's senior year ended after seven games due to wrist surgery. He also battled an ankle sprain during the season. Sweed aggravated the wrist injury at the Senior Bowl. He is considered a strong route runner, but could be more sudden out of his breaks. Sweed needs to improve his upper-body strength.

Verdict: Sweed's injury will likely keep him out of the top-15 picks in April, but he has the potential to be a Pro Bowl-caliber split end by year three. If Sweed can get his wrist straightened out, he should have no trouble being an above average to good rookie starter.

2. Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma

Height/Weight: 6'4/218

College Experience: Third-year junior

Combine Results: Did not participate (quadriceps/leg contusion)

Comparison: Taller T.J. Houshmandzadeh

2007 Statistics: 49-821-16.8-9 Tds

Positives: Like Sweed, Kelly is a smooth athlete with sure hands and vertical ability. He is just as good as Sweed in the red zone, if not better. Kelly has big, strong hands and will win most jump balls. He's flashed being a power player and is difficult to bring down after the catch. Kelly was highly productive all three seasons at OU.

Negatives: Having played almost strictly split end in coach Bob Stoops' run-heavy attack, Kelly is somewhat inexperienced as a route runner. He was injured in both of the Sooners' last two Bowl games, raising questions about his big-game drive. Kelly needed surgery to repair a torn meniscus following OU's 2006 Fiesta Bowl loss to Boise State. His numbers dropped from his sophomore to junior year, though that was mostly due to his increased focus on downfield routes.

Verdict: Kelly's game will change as he makes the NFL leap. He will not be able to run away or separate from pro defensive backs as easily as he did in the Big 12. Kelly's combination of size and athleticism is similar to Sweed's, but he is less likely to make an immediate impact. In the long run, however, he could become a more complete player. Kelly is better suited for a West Coast offense."

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/...articleid=30054

"1. Limas Sweed, Texas

Height/Weight: 6'4/212

College Experience: Fifth-year senior

Combine Results: 4.46 forty, 35" vertical

Comparison: Herman Moore

2007 Statistics: 19-306-16.1-3 Tds

Positives: Sweed does not drop passes he should catch, especially over his shoulder. He is a remarkably fluid athlete with near ideal top-end speed for his size. Sweed has an outstanding work ethic, on-field demeanor, and the confident swagger often found in "No. 1" receivers. He is not dominant over the middle, but understands how to avoid big hits. Sweed's arms measured the second longest at the Senior Bowl, behind only Adarius Bowman.

Negatives: Sweed's senior year ended after seven games due to wrist surgery. He also battled an ankle sprain during the season. Sweed aggravated the wrist injury at the Senior Bowl. He is considered a strong route runner, but could be more sudden out of his breaks. Sweed needs to improve his upper-body strength.

Verdict: Sweed's injury will likely keep him out of the top-15 picks in April, but he has the potential to be a Pro Bowl-caliber split end by year three. If Sweed can get his wrist straightened out, he should have no trouble being an above average to good rookie starter.

I think nfl.com's analysis of Sweed is much more accurate, from watching him play at UT...

From http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/limas-sweed?id=322

Analysis

Positives: Has a tall, well-built and rare-sized frame, with proportioned muscles, good chest and upper body development, nice arm length, large hands and developed legs and calves...Has the straight-line speed and acceleration needed to be effective in the vertical passing game...Not a precise route runner, but his long stride helps him compensate and eat up the defender's cushion...Possesses good quickness and change-of-direction agility, along with excellent leaping ability, but he must improve his timing competing for jump balls...Fluid in his stride, showing the body control and the ability to adjust to the ball in flight...Has the arm extension and flexibility to elevate and make the acrobatic catches...Has good field awareness and is alert to coverages and locating the soft areas underneath...Displays good toughness and leadership, working hard in practices and studying tapes to gain advantage over his opponents...Has that extra gear needed to gain advantage coming off the snap (when he doesn't try to get into battles with the press defender)...Smooth into his routes and will get physical with the defender in route progression (feels every thrown ball is his)...Strong runner who might not run crisp routes, but has the natural burst and quickness to separate...Uses his long stride well to quickly close a defender's cushion, and while he still needs refinement here, when he drops his weight while making cuts he generates much better foot quickness...Needs to figure out how to beat the jam with other moves, but can overpower a smaller defender...Does a nice job of settling in the short area and has the awareness with good body control to work himself free from a crowd...Talented receiver on the boundary, as he is good at finding throwing lanes for his quarterback when attacking the zone...Does gather some in his routes, but flashes good ability to adjust to the coverage, doing a nice job of uncovering...Natural adjuster to off-line throws and can make a great catch while keeping his feet along the sidelines...Displays good ball skills and hands when hauling in the ball with defenders draped on him (will lose concentration at times, but it is not from a lack of courage)...Not the type who will double or body catch, as he is very effective at using his reach to extend for the ball and does a good job of looking the pass in over his outside shoulder...The thing you see on film is his ability to execute the comeback and stay square going for the ball...Has good reaction quickness to look the ball in and will not hesitate to assert himself in order to run unimpeded down the sidelines...Can pluck the ball outside of his frame and make the tough catches...Has the speed and acceleration to stretch the field vertically and the balls skills necessary to haul in the deep pass...Must do a better job of timing his leaps, but he has the flexibility to adjust for the high, low and behind tosses...Likes to overpower defenders after the catch, but does have nifty moves to elude (just doesn't use them often)...Strong runner, especially when he catches the ball in front of the defender.

Negatives: Has excellent size and good strength, but he is not a face-up blocker and tends to shy away from contact when asked to lead block on sweeps and outside runs...Has had several problems with his left wrist that forced him to undergo mid-season surgery in 2007 and further medical evaluation is advised...Has a very fluid running stride, but is raw in his route running technique and needs to refine his plant-and-drive agility coming out of breaks (takes soft angle cuts, at times)...Also needs to show better stop-and-go action, as he will take a few false steps when trying to redirect back to the quarterback...Breaks off his routes too early when trying to get separation, and while he has a good reach he spends too much time trying to overpower press coverage defenders rather than trying to slip past and avoid...Also likes to combat with the defenders down field in attempts to get them out of their backpedal early, but it also ends up slowing down his route progression...Has had a history of concentration problems which prevents him from getting proper position to make the catch...Must do a better job of looking the ball in and securing it before trying to run with it (leads to dropped balls)...Has good leaping ability, but shows poor timing and arm extension trying to battle for jump balls (left 20 of 39 passes thrown to him behind in 2007)...More of a straight-line runner who can get under the pass nicely running straight-line routes, but lacks the loose hips to get a clean break and is more apt to break arm tackles rather than elude the defender in the open...For some reason, he failed to drop his weight and keep his feet working through pattern progression in 2007.

Great stuff guys! Thanks.

It sounds like Sweed may be the better selection then? If he is the more NFL ready player.

I think Sweed has the potential to be better than Kelly, but that Kelly is likely the more "NFL ready player", simply because he's a better route runner.

Thank you for giving the CORRECT answer. I am so sick and tired of hearing about meaningless 40 times. Yes, they are meaningless if they are not covered and wearing pads. I don't care what they can run not in pads uncovered and not in the context of a football game. If you like the combine, trade the 11th overall for Matt Jones.

I think people thought I was making a joke when I asked this very question the other day. I don't understand why backs and receivers are not timed in full pads and wearing a helmet.

Some guys translate 40 speed well to the football field, and some don't. I think it's a bullschit "measurable."

I think everyone else did a great job comparing Kelly to Sweed...So I won't do that...

But if My gut is correct (and I'm not saying it is...God knows I've been wrong before), as far as The Bills are concerned, neither one of them is Devin Thomas... So I'm not sure it really matters much... :lol: