Is America too Politically Correct in the Sports World?

justnzane

Ok, today is the 60th anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier to become the first black man to play in Major League Baseball. I'm getting a great chuckle out of the pundits that are complaining that about the fact that there are less black players in baseball now.

Well, these egg-heads with single digit IQ's and double-digit weekly salaries must realize that there is a large influx of foreign born players. These foreign players have benefitted from Jackie Robinson as much as Bonds, Sosa, or Griffey have. With such a large number of foreign born players, of course there are going to less black players in the big leagues, but then again there are less white american players too... you don't see Whitey Ford, Bud Selig, or any pundit complaining about that. In addition, these pundits are mentioning that a lot of elite black athletes are playing basketball and football instead of baseball. So, that explains a bit of it too. I really don't see the problem here...

This leads me into my next point, how come Don imus gets chastised to hell for being a racist? Seriously, calling a women's basketball a bunch of "nappy headed hoes" is hardly racist in relation to sexist beliefs that are there."Nappy headed" is a very reasonable term that describes black persons hair, particularly if the hair is in short very tight curls. Now, a "hoe" is definitely sexist, no arguing that. But I am playing devil's advocate here. Now you have a shock jock that most of america doesn't pay attention to, and he is calling a bunch of women basketball players hoes. Now I can guarantee with 95% certainty that none of the players heard the comments from Imus live. Also, I can guarantee that a good chunk of the players said "who the hell is Imus?" And you get to see the coach saying "we are deeply offended and hurt by these statements." I call bull sh-- to this. Seriously, you are a coach that receives criticism by your players, fans, and media; so take your criticism, let the guy sound like the retard he is.

Now, I do not think that Imus should have been fired from his jobs. Honestly, he had a slip of the tongue that was blown out of proportion. Shock Jocks are supposed to do stuff like that. Anyway, just look at the crazy sh-- that Howard Stern has pulled over the years. Now, i think that is the biggest double standard then. I get a laugh out of how Sharpton and Jesse Jackson putting up a stink about this.

Actually, I am getting a bigger laugh out of how wrong Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and the media chewed apart those three kids from Duke. It turns out that they were wronged by the media, the rogue prosecutor (Mike Nifong), and the PC police (Sharpton, et al...). Everyone and their brother believed that these 3 lacrosse players raped the exotic dancer (aka stripper for the non PC crowd). But it turns out that the girl lied about everything. So where are Sharpton and Jackson to apologize to these three men whose lives are ruined after this cluster!@#$?

Another one that bothers the hell out of me is Steven A. Smith. The guy can never make a point without screaming and accusing other people of being ignorant. I was happy that ESPN took off his show, but wished they would have fired him outright. He is the uber-annoying guy that makes me turn off SportsCenter and he seems to turn everything into a race issue too. Some of the stuff that he gets away with saying, a white man can not. I really believe that he is a black supremecist on air that goes way over the top to make his point. I have heard from my black friends that he makes black people look bad.

Now to show that I am not a racist, I will mention how I do beleive that Genarlow Wilson should not be rotting away in jail. A boy who was 17 with no criminal record is at a party with his buddies and someone is taping the party. Well two girls, one 17 the other 15, commit sexual acts on 6 different guys. So the next the 17 year old girl accuses six boys of rape including Wilson. The other 5 who have criminal records plead guilty to avoid long sentences. Wilson, on the other hand, had no criminal record and didn't want to be forced to move out of home because he has a little sister. So, he pleads not guilty, while the police are looking at the videotape, they notice that the 15 year old girl starts initiating oral sex on Wilson. Everyone admits that she initiated the sexual conduct. So, he gets convicted for 10 years for "Aggravated Child Molestation" for the blow job, but would have only gotten a misdemeanor if he just had intercourse with the girl. What makes this even worse is that the law has been changed so he would have served at most 12 months for the blow job, but the prosecutor will not let him out. So this poor kid has served over 2 years for something that is only punishable for up to 12 months now. The District Attorney has no intention of letting the poor kid out, and even worse he is label as a sexual offender now. The funny thing is that Wilson is a black kid in Georgia that didn't know that a blow job could get him 10 years in jail, and no 17 year old white kid had ever been convicted under the "Aggravated Child Molestation" law.

What I am trying to get at is that society has a long way to go before racial equality, but we need to lighten up a bit and not turn everything into a racial issue. Some people are retarded bigots, while others say sh-- for the sake of saying them. This goes both ways, there are black bigots too. In order to get past all of this, we as a society must move on and get through the messed up world we live in.

So, I plead for all of us to shut up Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton on these superficial subjects, and to take everything for face value.

Feel Free to Flame away at any part of this long post

And you get to see the coach saying "we are deeply offended and hurt by these statements." I call bull sh-- to this.

She said they were offended. I see no reason not to take her at her word.

Imus admitted as much, so why would you try to draw a different conclusion?

She says their offended, but in reality i think she wouldn't have gave a crap if this situation wasn't blown out of proportion. She probably would just thought "Ok Imus is an idiot" and left it at that.

She says their offended, but in reality i think she wouldn't have gave a crap if this situation wasn't blown out of proportion. She probably would just thought "Ok Imus is an idiot" and left it at that.

Meaning she would still had been offended, but you wouldn't hear about it.

Meaning she would still had been offended, but you wouldn't hear about it.

I'm sure she will never recover. traumatized for life. What a country of pussies. This generation really sucks a$$. Don't have a clue what real adversity is. No Great Depression to live through. No major world war. Bunch of spoiled schmucks that have been told they are victims and how hard done by they are.

The only name Al Sharpton should be worried about is Steven Pagones. For those of you not familiar with the name, that is the officer who's career and reputation were destroyed by Sharpton via the Tawana Brawley farce. The fact that Sharpton has any credibility among the African-American community after that fiasco is hypocritical. Sharpton is an evil, racist, race-baiting liar who has never seen a racial incident he wasn't willing to exploit for his own personal gain.

RTB

I'm sure she will never recover. traumatized for life. What a country of pussies. This generation really sucks a$$. Don't have a clue what real adversity is. No Great Depression to live through. No major world war. Bunch of spoiled schmucks that have been told they are victims and how hard done by they are.

I think that if we're going to get up in arms over the whole Imus fiasco, the basketball team is probably among the last who should be criticized.

I wasn't offended, but if someone with a national forum called someone I coached something similar, I think her response was much more dignified than mine would be. I would have said fire the !@#$ing senile !@#$ing douchebag (which she didn't).

And then Imus could have said "OK, X. Benedict Aeurback is an idiot" and he could have left it at that.

The only name Al Sharpton should be worried about is Steven Pagones. For those of you not familiar with the name, that is the officer who's career and reputation were destroyed by Sharpton via the Tawana Brawley farce. The fact that Sharpton has any credibility among the African-American community after that fiasco is hypocritical. Sharpton is an evil, racist, race-baiting liar who has never seen a racial incident he wasn't willing to exploit for his own personal gain.

RTB

I was 12 at the time and I remember it well. Poughkeepsie is only a 15 drive from here and its all you heard about. The SOB has never appologised.

I was 12 at the time and I remember it well. Poughkeepsie is only a 15 drive from here and its all you heard about. The SOB has never appologised.

Hasn't the Thurmond-Sharpton family endured enough?

We should all be thanking Al for abandoning the velure track suits, he righted a terrible wrong and

has never received full credit.

Well when half the national media decends a group of 19 year olds asking them "how did this make you feel?" and "are you offended?", I can't say I'm shocked when the kids play along with the script. I'd bet a month's pay that no one on the Rutgers' ladies basketball team could have picked Imus out of a line up two weeks ago. That's not to say that his comment was appropriate, but I highly doubt that any of these kids cared about anything Imus said before Mr. Sharpton told them how upset they should be.

The biggest problem I had was the 1st press conference where one member of the team said she was scarred for life. She is either mentally fragile if she believes this, or, more likely, someone told her to say that. I'd like to know who fed them their talking points before that press conference was held.

please do not equate or cloud the accomplishments of Jackie Robinson 60 years ago with today's society...60 years ago, a man did what no one else had to that point, save for Jesse Owen or Joe Louis or other pioneers. These Men did what they did and never once blamed anyone for the fact that there were so few others to do so before them. They acted as if it were no big deal. they did their jobs with honor and dignity and in the face of horrific conditions, succeded despite enormous obstacles. What we have today is a society of entitlement where people feel they are owed respect without doing anything to earn respect. Today's athletes couldnt hold a candle to Owens, Louis, Robinson, Doby etal...mind you I am only in my mid 40's so I am no expert on these people, but from what I have read about these individuals, they did everything with class, dignity and honor...3 traits that are sorely lacking today, black, white, red or purple.

Ok, today is the 60th anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier to become the first black man to play in Major League Baseball. I'm getting a great chuckle out of the pundits that are complaining that about the fact that there are less black players in baseball now.

Well, these egg-heads with single digit IQ's and double-digit weekly salaries must realize that there is a large influx of foreign born players. These foreign players have benefitted from Jackie Robinson as much as Bonds, Sosa, or Griffey have. With such a large number of foreign born players, of course there are going to less black players in the big leagues, but then again there are less white american players too... you don't see Whitey Ford, Bud Selig, or any pundit complaining about that. In addition, these pundits are mentioning that a lot of elite black athletes are playing basketball and football instead of baseball. So, that explains a bit of it too. I really don't see the problem here...

This leads me into my next point, how come Don imus gets chastised to hell for being a racist? Seriously, calling a women's basketball a bunch of "nappy headed hoes" is hardly racist in relation to sexist beliefs that are there."Nappy headed" is a very reasonable term that describes black persons hair, particularly if the hair is in short very tight curls. Now, a "hoe" is definitely sexist, no arguing that. But I am playing devil's advocate here. Now you have a shock jock that most of america doesn't pay attention to, and he is calling a bunch of women basketball players hoes. Now I can guarantee with 95% certainty that none of the players heard the comments from Imus live. Also, I can guarantee that a good chunk of the players said "who the hell is Imus?" And you get to see the coach saying "we are deeply offended and hurt by these statements." I call bull sh-- to this. Seriously, you are a coach that receives criticism by your players, fans, and media; so take your criticism, let the guy sound like the retard he is.

Now, I do not think that Imus should have been fired from his jobs. Honestly, he had a slip of the tongue that was blown out of proportion. Shock Jocks are supposed to do stuff like that. Anyway, just look at the crazy sh-- that Howard Stern has pulled over the years. Now, i think that is the biggest double standard then. I get a laugh out of how Sharpton and Jesse Jackson putting up a stink about this.

Actually, I am getting a bigger laugh out of how wrong Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and the media chewed apart those three kids from Duke. It turns out that they were wronged by the media, the rogue prosecutor (Mike Nifong), and the PC police (Sharpton, et al...). Everyone and their brother believed that these 3 lacrosse players raped the exotic dancer (aka stripper for the non PC crowd). But it turns out that the girl lied about everything. So where are Sharpton and Jackson to apologize to these three men whose lives are ruined after this cluster!@#$?

Another one that bothers the hell out of me is Steven A. Smith. The guy can never make a point without screaming and accusing other people of being ignorant. I was happy that ESPN took off his show, but wished they would have fired him outright. He is the uber-annoying guy that makes me turn off SportsCenter and he seems to turn everything into a race issue too. Some of the stuff that he gets away with saying, a white man can not. I really believe that he is a black supremecist on air that goes way over the top to make his point. I have heard from my black friends that he makes black people look bad.

Now to show that I am not a racist, I will mention how I do beleive that Genarlow Wilson should not be rotting away in jail. A boy who was 17 with no criminal record is at a party with his buddies and someone is taping the party. Well two girls, one 17 the other 15, commit sexual acts on 6 different guys. So the next the 17 year old girl accuses six boys of rape including Wilson. The other 5 who have criminal records plead guilty to avoid long sentences. Wilson, on the other hand, had no criminal record and didn't want to be forced to move out of home because he has a little sister. So, he pleads not guilty, while the police are looking at the videotape, they notice that the 15 year old girl starts initiating oral sex on Wilson. Everyone admits that she initiated the sexual conduct. So, he gets convicted for 10 years for "Aggravated Child Molestation" for the blow job, but would have only gotten a misdemeanor if he just had intercourse with the girl. What makes this even worse is that the law has been changed so he would have served at most 12 months for the blow job, but the prosecutor will not let him out. So this poor kid has served over 2 years for something that is only punishable for up to 12 months now. The District Attorney has no intention of letting the poor kid out, and even worse he is label as a sexual offender now. The funny thing is that Wilson is a black kid in Georgia that didn't know that a blow job could get him 10 years in jail, and no 17 year old white kid had ever been convicted under the "Aggravated Child Molestation" law.

What I am trying to get at is that society has a long way to go before racial equality, but we need to lighten up a bit and not turn everything into a racial issue. Some people are retarded bigots, while others say sh-- for the sake of saying them. This goes both ways, there are black bigots too. In order to get past all of this, we as a society must move on and get through the messed up world we live in.

So, I plead for all of us to shut up Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton on these superficial subjects, and to take everything for face value.

Feel Free to Flame away at any part of this long post

and another thing...i am for free speach, but what Imus said was awful...."Ho" may have been "acceptable" on its own, but to add "Nappy Headed..."...I am sorry, I am not black, but that phrase alone may be as degrading as the "N" word....there is nothing in the white vernacular that I can relate to as being such a degrading insult, at least personally, but we know the sensitivity of such phrases and no one should ever utter them towards another person..I'm sorry if my stance isnt a popular one, but i feel what imus said was terrible, never, never, never say something like that...ok...off my soapbox

Well when half the national media decends a group of 19 year olds asking them "how did this make you feel?" and "are you offended?", I can't say I'm shocked when the kids play along with the script. I'd bet a month's pay that no one on the Rutgers' ladies basketball team could have picked Imus out of a line up two weeks ago. That's not to say that his comment was appropriate, but I highly doubt that any of these kids cared about anything Imus said before Mr. Sharpton told them how upset they should be.

that is my point exactly. Imus is about as important in today's culture as Scott Baio. So, my generation might know a little about Imus but could give two squats what he has to say.

and another thing...i am for free speach, but what Imus said was awful...."Ho" may have been "acceptable" on its own, but to add "Nappy Headed..."...I am sorry, I am not black, but that phrase alone may be as degrading as the "N" word....there is nothing in the white vernacular that I can relate to as being such a degrading insult, at least personally, but we know the sensitivity of such phrases and no one should ever utter them towards another person..I'm sorry if my stance isnt a popular one, but i feel what imus said was terrible, never, never, never say something like that...ok...off my soapbox

sticks and stones.....I love when black comedians make fun of how white people dance, talk, act....I even find it funny when we are called "crackers". OUCH! I am not scared of free speech, nor can anything anyone says hurt me. To be honest I could give a !@#$ what anyone says about me, even Don Imus. Why give Imus the power? Why give Sharpton the power? I am above