Car Insurance

Chilly

Alright... I'm about to buy my first car this summer and am working out the pricing and what not. I'm looking at a Civic or Corolla - something small that gets good gas mileage.

What types of things should I be looking at for car insurance? How much should I expect to pay? Any other advice?

One thing that I realize makes a difference - I'm a driver under 25 who has held a driver's license since 16 but no driving record.

If you're financing, you'll clearly have to carry more coverage on the vehicle than you would if you buy it outright. Then again, if its a late model car, you're probably going to want better coverage anyways, as the cost of repairs (let alone injuries, etc.) will be more expensive.

The whole turning 25 situation will definitely help out when the time comes - as a 25 year old, I pay ~$75/mo to insure 2 vehicles...much better than the ~$130-150/mo that I paid a couple of years ago on my primary vehicle (then financed) with full coverage

By the way, credit history will definitely help/hurt you as well

Alright... I'm about to buy my first car this summer and am working out the pricing and what not. I'm looking at a Civic or Corolla - something small that gets good gas mileage.

What types of things should I be looking at for car insurance? How much should I expect to pay? Any other advice?

One thing that I realize makes a difference - I'm a driver under 25 who has held a driver's license since 16 but no driving record.

If you are insuring the car in the state of NY Geico is probably your best bet. Most times they blow other ins. companies prices out of the water. Dont neccesarily go for the minimums for the Bodily Injury and Prop Damage coverage. You might need them and if you take the minimums you might be S.O.L. if you get into a serious accident or damage something like a guardrail or something like that. I work for Geico. Drop me a PM if you have questions.

If you are insuring the car in the state of NY Geico is probably your best bet. Most times they blow other ins. companies prices out of the water.

:D;):blink:

I just shopped my car ins last year and Geico was one of the highest, beat by Amica, Progressive and Hartford. Same for my bike, Progressive was half of Geico, and I got that a month ago

• 1 year later...

I am late to the Geico party but chiming in. For better coverage across the board, I'm paying 900$ less per year for 2 cars. Insurance is such a scam. My previous insurance agent, who I'd been with for 11+ years said, "If you switch out of the auto policy, you'll lose the x% discount we give you on your home policy." I asked him if he wanted me to shop that policy too and he STFU.

Do wat I do, mang, I no have isurance, Mang. I'ng an Illegal. Screw you, mang! :D:rolleyes:

This is why everyone should carry some level of un/under-insured coverage, there are way too many idiot drivers out there that aren't adequately insured or worse yet have no insurance at all.

This is why everyone should carry some level of un/under-insured coverage, there are way too many idiot drivers out there that aren't adequately insured or worse yet have no insurance at all.

I don't think you should call the father of the red headed child an idiot. I mean, it's true and all, but you shouldn't publically say it.

15 months between posts could be a record.

... and it's really funny if you picture the original poster still waiting to buy a car/get insurance because nobody was telling him what to do on here for the last year and a half.

... and it's really funny if you picture the original poster still waiting to buy a car/get insurance because nobody was telling him what to do on here for the last year and a half.

So, you've met Bluefire? Those UT grads are like sheep needing to be led around by the nose. :rolleyes:

:blink::blink::blink:

I just shopped my car ins last year and Geico was one of the highest, beat by Amica, Progressive and Hartford. Same for my bike, Progressive was half of Geico, and I got that a month ago

I sell Progressive as well but have a company called A Central. They have been kicking Progressives ass for younger or inexp drivers.