AJ Smith will take Marv to the cleaners

No. Marv will not take AJ to the cleaners because AJ is very sharp, but Marv will not pay more than what he thinks Turner is worth no matter how good AJ is. That doesn't mean he won't overpay (Walker) or make a less than great decision, but I'm pretty confident he will do fine, and nearly certain how good AJ is will not play a part.

And I'm fine giving up more than we got for MaGoofee. Turner is a better back right now (I saw all of SDs games last year). I just don't want to give up more in cash and picks than makes sense, when Willis would really help a lot and we could get a quality RB later in the draft.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

All this buzz about Turner. If I'm SD, I know I have a loaded team, a stellar starting RB in Tomlison, a heck of a back-up in Turner.

So he leaves in '08. So what? I'm a legit SB candidate on '07. Shame on me if the seldom-injured LT does get nicked and I've dealt away Turner.

If I'm SD, I'm not giving away a player that can help my SB chances this coming season unless some dope wants to pay an outrageous price...

I favor trading our 2nd rounder to swapping 1st round picks and don't think the price is too high. I understand the desire to add new blood to the team by keeping the same number of day one picks, but I think we really do need new playmakers. We should keep the 12th pick to get a playmaker like Willis (who is my prediction for our first pick). Of course it's possible we'll get stranded with all of the impact players taken by our pick, or "only" having Peterson drop to us....

We do have the 43rd pick in the draft... why just not trade that? I can't think of any RB likely to be available then who has more promise than Turner. While I understand the desire to "buy" a player for the lowest possible price, we really DO need to add someone who can consistently gain yards his first year with the team. There is value in not gambling a RB will be there on draft day.

I'd even be comfortable throwing in a second day pick next year, since we likely won't have as many holes on the team. Of course I also can't figure out why WR's like Wes Welker can get a 2nd and 7th in a trade but RB's never seem to...

Allowing Nate to avoid the franchise tag was a pretty dumb move and shows how inexperienced Marv is as a GM...

I too am worried that AJ Smith will take advantage of Marv's lack of experience as a front office executive.

Yawn.... I'm going to save this one on my comp just so that I can pull the trigger on calling you out when we are just as good if not better this year as the last. Since you "know" so well that this shows "lack of experience". Why don't you tell us all something else miraculous that you "know" that the sane world does not?

All this buzz about Turner. If I'm SD, I know I have a loaded team, a stellar starting RB in Tomlison, a heck of a back-up in Turner.

So he leaves in '08. So what? I'm a legit SB candidate on '07. Shame on me if the seldom-injured LT does get nicked and I've dealt away Turner.

If I'm SD, I'm not giving away a player that can help my SB chances this coming season unless some dope wants to pay an outrageous price...

You forgot they have Norv Turner has their head coach. They are not winning anything.

:thumbsup:

Getting rid of Schottenheimer after a 14 and 2 regular season didn't strike me as especially swift...

And doing it AFTER all the coveted coaches had lined up other jobs....

I'm hoping Marv's learning curve is over. He most likely had input is pre- GM trades but Polian and Butler made the final decisions.

As GM, his handling of Clements was terrible. He tried to be a nice guy with character and lost out. He did show the world though that he was a man of his word and that is worth a lot. He learned that he must get something when a guy may be leaving. Buffalo will get no home town discount. Result: not so good

On the LFB and TKO FA/ trades, he got what he could. On TKO, could go either way as to value but at least got something. TKO is a question mark we couldn't afford with all our needs so Marv got cap relief, a player, and rid of a QB that would have been released anyway. Result: still a question but leaning fair.

On Willis, Marv got fair compensation considering WM didn't want to be there, had questionable characater issues, performance suffered because of his attitude and he was not a team guy. Result: Fair to good

On the overpaying for FA's, I have posted before that as much as I love my home town, it will have to overpay to get/keep players there. He will hit on some ( Royal, Hargrove, Fowler) and miss some (Reyes, Gandy and Bowen) but thats the chance you take. Result: necessary to pay and take some chances.

Now is Marv's most visable and difficult situation. Consensus is that Turner has a lot of upside and could be an able or exceptional player. The GM he is dealing with is a very good judge of talent, is a wise trader and is on the hot seat for losing much of the ccoaching staff last year. Knowing AJ's skills for getting talent ( I wanted him when Butler left) but his negotiating skills scare me. He picked the Giants pockets (Eli) and has built a talented team. He doesn't have to trade MT and will not give Marv anything, friend or not. He would still like to stick it to Ralph. Marv must consult with his staff on MT's talent, cost and impact on the draft and team. Establish a maximum worth for Turner and not go beyond it. If Marv can convince AJ it's a fair deal for both, it's a win win. If Marv gets fleeced, Marv will learn again what a real friend is and that fans and critics can be cruel.

Marv, do your do diligence, consult your team staff to establish worth and don't do beyond it. I'm trusting Marv.

Have you ever thought, for one second, that perhaps it's because of their mutual respect, friendship, and Marv's suits are done?

:thumbsup::unsure: :unsure:

Can we just get this freakin trade over with so we can obsess on other things. I just spent 25 minutes (well, maybe 10) typing a stupid explanation of the Arbitron ratings for no real reason other than I'm just sitting here waiting for this trade to happen. I need to go for a bike ride, or something.

If Marv does more than a SWAP of 2nd and a 3rd next year, walk away.

If Marv does this, WE should walk away? Not be Bills fans anymore? Is that what you are saying?

Okay, since we're not getting anywhere here, let me know (and this applies to anyone) what would constitute Marv getting "taken to the cleaners." Is it giving-up the 12th overall pick? Sorry, no way that happens.

:thumbsup:WHO are you talking to..? Don't put words in my mouth. Go back and read my post before you step into something. I don't know where in hell you got those comments about "being taken to the cleaners." It's from someone else post. GO BACK AND READ THEM ALL BEFORE YOU JUMP ON SOMETHING...!