Sabres will face either Leafs, Montreal or Islanders

millbank

Yes the Leafs prognosticators seem to think the Leafs actually would have a good shot against the Sabres because they would be able to hit them. My point is the referee's likely will be calling the first series very tight and if the Leafs try play a crash and bang series , they will spend much of the game in the box and the series will be done in four. A hitting team and a grinding team are two different dynamics. The Leafs would try be a hitting team, which puts them in the box if series called tight, the Islanders a grinding team that makes every shift a battle and tired teams at end of each game. imo :thumbsup:

The thing about playing the Leafs is that they seem to think that the way to beat the Sabres is to outhit them. While this probably won't work, especially in a 7 game series, It would take a physical toll that I'd rather not pay in the first round. If your point is that it would probably would be a shorter series against the Leafs - that I won't argue. But having said that I doubt a series with any of them would go past a game 6.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sabres figure to beat any one of the three teams. The issue for Sabres if they could pick, which team would take the least physical toll on them. The Islanders are the best of the three remaining teams and every game a grind. Montreal has a excellent power play and if officials call the opening series tight it could be a battle of power play units , meaning there is potential for a longer than wanted series with Canadians. In the end I think the Sabres easiest opponent is the Leafs as the Leafs just do not have it in goal. Putting the hype of playing Leafs aside, the Leafs would be the Sabre's easiest opponent. imo

If the Habs had Huet I would be very nervous playing them (they worry me the most of any of the Eastern Conference teams). The Sabres have more talent, but Moe-ray-all has speed and that great powerplay. Having played so many close games with the Sabres and coming out with 4 wins, they will have confidence against the Sabres. Minus Huet, the Sabres should take them, but the games will be closer than we'd like.

I'm not terribly worried about losing to TO (I like the idea of playing against Raycraft 5 or 6 times), but am not looking forward to losing a couple of skaters due to injury. I know some people have expressed concerns with people selling off tickets to TML fans, but with almost no STH's getting extras and no tix on sale to the general public, I don't expect more than a couple 1,000 Loaf fans in the Mmarena (2-4,000 is all they had in the building in '99; and it was a LOT easier to get tix that year even in the semifinals).

The team I'd worry about the least is the Isles. Neither DiPietro (if healthy) nor Dubielewicz strike me as money goalies. Yashin perpetually disappears in the playoffs and the defense is fairly slow. Blake scares me, but not much else on that team. The Sabres have pretty much dominated play when they've played the Isles this year, I like the matchups. The only game the Isles were in at all was the 3rd game, and that was primarily because Miller was still in his "Post-All-Star Game Depression". Plus, if the Sabres were to finally get their names etched on Lord Stanley's Chalice it would be pretty cool to have beaten the Isles along the way as the Isles killed Sabre playoff runs a generation ago. Whether the Isles would pick up their play for Nolan is debatable, but for the most part they didn't against the Sabres this year; I don't know why that would change simply because the calendar had.

So, as of today, I'd not like to see Montreal, TO, then the Isles in that order.

Entire other game as you know in playoff Dave. Montreal a goalie and power play team with players position by position , amongst the worst in plus minus in league. Plus they a team in open war with management. Islanders have been better than either Leafs or Montreal all season.

Anyway, dont you all want to be chanting Dubie, Dubie, Dubie as you smoke the Islanders...... :thumbsup:

If the Habs had Huet I would be very nervous playing them (they worry me the most of any of the Eastern Conference teams). The Sabres have more talent, but Moe-ray-all has speed and that great powerplay. Having played so many close games with the Sabres and coming out with 4 wins, they will have confidence against the Sabres. Minus Huet, the Sabres should take them, but the games will be closer than we'd like.

I'm not terribly worried about losing to TO (I like the idea of playing against Raycraft 5 or 6 times), but am not looking forward to losing a couple of skaters due to injury. I know some people have expressed concerns with people selling off tickets to TML fans, but with almost no STH's getting extras and no tix on sale to the general public, I don't expect more than a couple 1,000 Loaf fans in the Mmarena (2-4,000 is all they had in the building in '99; and it was a LOT easier to get tix that year even in the semifinals).

The team I'd worry about the least is the Isles. Neither DiPietro (if healthy) nor Dubielewicz strike me as money goalies. Yashin perpetually disappears in the playoffs and the defense is fairly slow. Blake scares me, but not much else on that team. The Sabres have pretty much dominated play when they've played the Isles this year, I like the matchups. The only game the Isles were in at all was the 3rd game, and that was primarily because Miller was still in his "Post-All-Star Game Depression". Plus, if the Sabres were to finally get their names etched on Lord Stanley's Chalice it would be pretty cool to have beaten the Isles along the way as the Isles killed Sabre playoff runs a generation ago. Whether the Isles would pick up their play for Nolan is debatable, but for the most part they didn't against the Sabres this year; I don't know why that would change simply because the calendar had.

So, as of today, I'd not like to see Montreal, TO, then the Isles in that order.

Montreal is dangerous because, among the teams in the East, only the Canadiens and Atlanta truly appear comfortable skating with the Sabres.

If Huet is back, they shouldn't be overlooked...Buffalo went to the '98 ECF and the '99 SCF with not much more than a great goalie and a hot power play....

Loafs. I wanna have them sent to the golf course early.

GOLF LOAFS GOLF!

Some people may understand and some wont. I agree with JSP!!!

Bring on the Loafs, (If they even make it) and it will be very pleasing to dispatch them quickly to the golf course. And in honor of AD I'm removing a tag line from my sig.

Let's Go Buffalo

Let's Go Buffalo

Let's Go Buffalo

The time is near, the time is now!! One team, one goal. Lets Go Buffalo!!!

So which one of these three would Sabres fans prefer to play. Leafs, Ted Nolans Islanders , or the mystique of the Montreal Canadians?

By the way, am I the first one to notice your intentional faux paux with the Canadiens? Or is it really Canadians. I thought that was only in commercials :unsure:

Yes the Leafs prognosticators seem to think the Leafs actually would have a good shot against the Sabres because they would be able to hit them.

A hitting team and a grinding team are two different dynamics. The Leafs would try be a hitting team, which puts them in the box if series called tight,

What are you basing the Leafs being a hitting team on? Certainly not their last three do or die desperation games when they came out totally flat huh?

If you base it on Belak, there in lies my whole problem with the Leafs organization.

Note , this is what the prognosticators are saying. I am not really into debating what the Leafs will or won't do against the Sabre's as though it would be of any real consequence. Its my opinion the Leafs would be the easiest of three teams for Sabres to play.

My hope is the Leafs do not make playoffs, that they will fire their current General Manager , find a man who will make better decisions and I will not have to listen to the crap I currently have to hear from haters of my team.

What are you basing the Leafs being a hitting team on? Certainly not their last three do or die desperation games when they came out totally flat huh?

If you base it on Belak, there in lies my whole problem with the Leafs organization.

Montreal is dangerous because, among the teams in the East, only the Canadiens and Atlanta truly appear comfortable skating with the Sabres.

If Huet is back, they shouldn't be overlooked...Buffalo went to the '98 ECF and the '99 SCF with not much more than a great goalie and a hot power play....

Well Huet is playing tonight. If only Carey Price was able to play.

I'm seriously worried about tonight. This is just too much stress for me.

My hope is the Leafs do not make playoffs, that they will fire their current General Manager , find a man who will make better decisions and I will not have to listen to the crap I currently have to hear from haters of my team.

I completely understand your feelings. Although while waiting for this scenario to play out, I myself have become a huge Sabres fan and just cant take the way TML goes about doing their business and have moved on from them.

Which considering how much of an avid fan I was all my life, having been born and raised there, speaks rather loudly to my feelings of the organization. I'm sure they wont miss me though.

I completely understand your feelings. Although while waiting for this scenario to play out, I myself have become a huge Sabres fan and just cant take the way TML goes about doing their business and have moved on from them.

Which considering how much of an avid fan I was all my life, having been born and raised there, speaks rather loudly to my feelings of the organization. I'm sure they wont miss me though.

Welcome aboard.

There's plenty of room for all on the bandwagon. :thumbdown:

Well Huet is playing tonight. If only Carey Price was able to play.

I'm seriously worried about tonight. This is just too much stress for me.

Do or die... This game could be a classic. Toronto has been playing desperate hockey for the last couple of weeks. Huet is the ace in the hole. If Huet is hot the Habs have it.

I would prefer that the Sabres play the Islanders. Montreal and Toronto have both improved a lot this year. The Habs and Leafs play the Sabres physically to slow down the Sabres speed.

True. Wasn't the East back then kind of like this year's NFC though?

I would add Ottawa. The Sens are the one team I don't want the Sabres to play. I hope someone else takes them out.

Leafs, but only if there was a way we could face them, but they weren't in the playoffs

I want the Leafs only because every game will be on the CBC around here so I can see each playoff game in the first round. But I don't want them to win cause I know Leafs fans, and I hate when they get cocky and gloat. Leafs fans just get on my nerves sometimes.

By the way, the refs gave the leafs that game with those penalties at the end of the 2nd and start of the 3rd

It doesn't really matter who the Sabres play in the 1st round.

When they end up playing the Devils, the Sabres will be sent home (like usual).

:thumbdown::wallbash::blink:

The Devils can not beat the Sabres, However, it's possible the Sabres can beat the Sabres when they are playing the Devils.

Right now, with all cylinders cranking, the Sabres are the Devils worst nightmare, IMO. They just can't skate with all four Sabre lines...no team can. The problem for the Devils is, any mistake, against any line will KILL them...and they will, and do, make mistakes. Against most teams you can concentrate on the top two lines and.or the top three players. That's s#it just won't flush against the Sabres.

I'm not woofing and I know the Sabres are no lock to win it all. But, seriously, I hope the Sabres meet the Devils as I think that matchup is clearly in favor of the Sabres. The Devils do ONE thing. They do it well, but it's all they can do. When that thing doesn't work they are Royally Screwed. You saw that in the last game between the two teems.

Now Max and Connelly are back. It's just too good...SCARY GOOD! If things don't go the Sabres way (as might happen) the Sabres can adjust. If things aren't going well for the Devils, what are they going to do? Play SLOWER?

You can't stop what you can't see and you can't hit what you can't catch. The Devils are a GREAT team...three years ago. This is the new NHL and The Sabres are built for speed. Wake up and smell the chicken wings, Ed.