Amobi Okoye was in town yesterday--working out today

I haven't seen any reports about how things went--if something happens, he's an exciting option at 12.

RBs ARE available later.

Thanks Quaker

At least Okoye didn't have flight issues...

I haven't seen any reports about how things went--if something happens, he's an exciting option at 12.

RBs ARE available later.

I don't really see us taking DT anymore, but hey anything is possible.

I would love for Buffalo to add Okoye...he's the type of player who could define playing the DT spot in the Cover-2 and is probably the best DT available in the draft. Having said that, I think Buffalo goes LB with Willis in Round 1, but I wouldn't be disappointed with Okoye. He'd immediately be better than Tripplett and Williams.

Frankly Okoye is one of the most exciting defensive line prospects I have seen. If he is there at 12, I say take him. Mark my words...he will be an impact player along the lines of Warren Sapp, Bruce Smith and Julius Peppers. I wanted Haloti Ngata last year (and believe that and to this day believe we would have gone to the playoffs with him (although Donte Whitner and this draft class have been damn good). Unfortunately, since the Senior Bowl, it looks like he has moved from a late first, early second pick to a top ten pick. I'll go so far as to say that EVEN if Willis and Lynch are available ...go Okoye. If, however, Peterson slips down and we don't have a running back...I see need over talent balancing that equation and I'd go with Peterson.

Frankly Okoye is one of the most exciting defensive line prospects I have seen. If he is there at 12, I say take him. Mark my words...he will be an impact player along the lines of Warren Sapp, Bruce Smith and Julius Peppers. I wanted Haloti Ngata last year (and believe that and to this day believe we would have gone to the playoffs with him (although Donte Whitner and this draft class have been damn good). Unfortunately, since the Senior Bowl, it looks like he has moved from a late first, early second pick to a top ten pick. I'll go so far as to say that EVEN if Willis and Lynch are available ...go Okoye. If, however, Peterson slips down and we don't have a running back...I see need over talent balancing that equation and I'd go with Peterson.

We didn't take Ngata because he isn't a Cover-2 DT. Plain and Simple. Why would we want somebody who doesn't fit the system we run? Such logic does not make sense, imo.

We didn't take Ngata because he isn't a Cover-2 DT. Plain and Simple. Why would we want somebody who doesn't fit the system we run? Such logic does not make sense, imo.

Do you really think Okoye can't rush the passer well enough to play Cover-2? Just because a guy is over 300 does not mean he can't play DT in a cover 2 scheme. I think we'd better get over the concept that the definition of a cover-2 DT is a guy who can rush the passer but not stop the run.

Do you really think Okoye can't rush the passer well enough to play Cover-2? Just because a guy is over 300 does not mean he can't play DT in a cover 2 scheme. I think we'd better get over the concept that the definition of a cover-2 DT is a guy who can rush the passer but not stop the run.

I wasn't talking about Okoye. Where did I mention Okoye? I was talking about Ngata. Okoye is a different style player than Ngata and Okoye is much more suited for a Cover-2 style DT. Do you think it is just coincidence that Marv and co. haven't signed any 340 lb. hold down the middle guys like Ted Washington to play DT? That they've gone after 295-310ish guys that are penetrator types? All I'm saying is that we look for a certain type of player. Okoye is that type of player. Ngata isn't.

And I also didn't say that a cover-2 DT is a guy who can rush the passer but not stop the run. That I didn't claim at all. You assumed that. I'm just saying that we look for a certain type of player at DT that is different from other schemes.

It would be a luxury pick, but I don't think many would complain if he was picked

I understand what you're saying--that the Bills have bigger needs at LB, CB, and RB. Still, it's not like they have a stud interior D-lineman either.

I understand what you're saying--that the Bills have bigger needs at LB, CB, and RB. Still, it's not like they have a stud interior D-lineman either.

I know I will probably get blasted for writing this...but big guys with Okoye's or even Branch's ability are hard to find...we have to at least give this strong consideration if either or both are there. Build the lines -- it has so much positive consequence for the O and D overall if we are strong upfront on each side fo the ball. Strength on the lines with protection and push on O and rush and run-stopping on D can mask a lot of other flaws....

If this story is accurate, and he was brought in for more than just a meeting it is very interesting. Most top 15 picks don't work out when they visit clubs, it's just not worth the risk. So it makes me wonder a bit about the reasons why the Bills are doing this.

Sounds like it could just be a smoke screen from OBD to throw teams off their scent.

I know I will probably get blasted for writing this...but big guys with Okoye's or even Branch's ability are hard to find...we have to at least give this strong consideration if either or both are there. Build the lines -- it has so much positive consequence for the O and D overall if we are strong upfront on each side fo the ball. Strength on the lines with protection and push on O and rush and run-stopping on D can mask a lot of other flaws....

I won't blast ya, I agree entirely, except I might pass on Branch. But if Okoye was there, I might have to take 14 minutes and 59 seconds to decide.

DT

Darwin Walker

Larry Tripplett

John Mccargo

Kyle Williams

Tim Anderson

LB

Ellison

Crowell

Wire

RB

Thomas

Williams

Look at these players the DT's are fine you can not draft another one, Its going to be LB or RB.

Please forget about Okoye allready

While I agree that there are greater needs, I would not complain at all about the pick. It could fortify the DL -- and make it one of the team's greatest strengths. A strong DL will only serve to make the LBs and CBs that much better. Still, if it comes down to Willis versus Okoye (if they are both miraculously somehow still there at #12) it would be interesting to see which way the Bills go.

DT

Darwin Walker

Larry Tripplett

John Mccargo

Kyle Williams

Tim Anderson

LB

Ellison

Crowell

Wire

RB

Thomas

Williams

Look at these players the DT's are fine you can not draft another one, Its going to be LB or RB.

Please forget about Okoye allready

I agree completely with your list and your appraisal, but not necessarily that that means no Okoye at #12. While getting a starting LB and a starting RB are absolutes, that doesn't mean we have to pencil in Willis or Lynch at #12. If we think Willis and Okoye are about the same level of players then I would definitely take Willis based on our need. But if we decide that Okoye is a much better player then we definitely would take him.

My hope is that we have a LB or RB (Lynch or Peterson) available that also is viewed as the top talent available, because letting a clearly better player go because he plays the wrong position and taking an inferior player because he plays the right position is a way to trade a little gain in year 1 for a big loss in years 2,3,4 and build a mediocre football team.

Letting a clearly better player go because he plays the wrong position and taking an inferior player because he plays the right position is a way to trade a little gain in year 1 for a big loss in years 2,3,4 and build a mediocre football team.

Absolutely. Well put.