BEES In Danger - what to do?

We're going to starve in a few short years. And it will be Bush's fault, no doubt because he doesn't care about bees.

You're building the weakest of straw men here and still I'd like to punch a hole through it. This has little to do with George Bush (who at least, in Crawford, lives an ecologically-minded life) and if anything it has to do with a general attitude that the little things in an ecosystem are actually big things and that every little link in the chain matters. But this kind of disrespect for and disconnection from nature is pervasive, to the point that I don't think you could ask many 16 year-olds what role bees fulfill in the lifecycle of plant vegetation and expect a correct answer.

If you think that's a good or funny thing be my guest. I think it's a sad statement on our culture.

I have read that it is a virus carried by the mites mentioned in the article. Of course some idiots have already said it is because of global warming.

Whom? Post it.

And then, tell me why it couldn't be about chemicals that yield resistant strains of a virus or pesticides that the mites are now immune to, or something else that is supposedly good for business?

Whom? Post it.

And then, tell me why it couldn't be about chemicals that yield resistant strains of a virus or pesticides that the mites are now immune to, or something else that is supposedly good for business?

The vicious circle of man attempting to control something so beyond our grasp.

Whom? Post it.

Oh...okay, I will. Global warming can alter the climate in such a way as to expand the ecological niches in which parasites and infectious diseases can survive and thrive. Hence, global warming can contribute to the spread of an infectious disease through the greater population of Apis mellifera.

I don't remember where I heard about the virus, but it wasn't Rush limbaugh, etc. I did hear the idiot Darryl Hannah say that it was because of global warming. She obviously got that notion from the global warming cult.

Remember a few years ago how the global warmers were saying that the decline in frogs and the increase in mutations in them (extra legs, etc) was because of global warming or pesticides.

Well after research, it turned out it was because of a very small parasite worm..

I don't remember where I heard about the virus, but it wasn't Rush limbaugh, etc. I did hear the idiot Darryl Hannah say that it was because of global warming. She obviously got that notion from the global warming cult.

Remember a few years ago how the global warmers were saying that the decline in frogs and the increase in mutations in them (extra legs, etc) was because of global warming or pesticides.

Well after research, it turned out it was because of a very small parasite worm..

And the prolification of small parasitic worms couldn't be as a result of changes of the environment?

BTW I'm not the one citing Daryl Hannah for scientific data.

As a beekeeper myself I can tell you that CCD is no laughing matter. 3/4 of the word's fruits and vegetables require some sort of pollinator and bees are the workhorses of these efforts. Every 3rd bite you take is there because of pollination.

Sadly, we don't understand why this happens. In theory it should be an environmental factor (climate, pesticides, parasites like mites), but there is no definitive proof. I put in the same category as why kids today seem to have more (and much more severe) allergies to things like peanuts and why children seem to reach puberty earlier - there are lots of theories but no real smoking guns.

This weekend the state Commissioner of Agriculture is coming to speak at our bee club and CCD is one of the main topics of discussion. You may not think about bees very much, but their value to agriculture is in the billions and money is starting to be spent to understand CCD better - we really can't afford to wait.

Any word on my lotto ticket, or the meaning of life? First more important than latter.

God owns that monopoly, its part of his divine plan. I ask him when the Bills are going to win the Super Bowl, he's very tight lipped about that too.

Don't bother praying, its useless. God will never budge.

God owns that monopoly, its part of his divine plan. I ask him when the Bills are going to win the Super Bowl, he's very tight lipped about that too.

Don't bother praying, its useless. God will never budge.

Prick.

But would you wear a diaper and bring along a pellet gun, a knife, and some rubber tubing <_<

Guys have it easier!... Skip the diaper and press the rubber tubing into "double duty": Pee-tube right out the side of the doorless Jeep...

Ain't no Prisus though... I'd be stopping every 200 miles to fill-up, so I guess I could wait?...

:D