LB Jon Beason if Willis is gone

NY Nole

I am of the opinion that Patrick Willis should be our pick (if available), but should he not be there, I still think there is another GREAT linebacker worthy of a 1st round pick and it's Jon Beason from Miami.

I just watched my old game tapes of the Miami-FSU games and this kid was a pretty special player out there. He is ALWAYS around the ball and shows great instincts. He has average speed (4.6-4.7) but plays faster than that and hasn't had his pro day yet (4/5/07). When he locks on to someone, watch out, as he packs a heckuva wallop! (one that stands out, was a stop he made during a goaline stand -- he came through the line and sent the RB backwards). I did notice that he tends to play a bit high at times and doesn't always use good leverage -- which is why he got overpowered on occasion by bigger offensive lineman -- but these plays didn't overshadow his overall performance. He seems like he is a pretty smart player and made great adjustments thoughout the games I watched.

The scouts assessment of him are that he is a prototypical Tampa 2 OLB, but he could easily play inside if needed. (I think he makes the most sense for Buffalo as an OLB and move Crowell to MLB). Pending his pro day workouts, I see this kid as being the second LB off the board.

I disagree with everyone saying we take a RB in the first. DEFENSE is what we need and, to me, linebacker is the most critical of all. I think Beason would have less of a learning curve than Willis (as the MLB has to make all the calls, etc.) and with the potential to move Crowell to MLB -- this pick would make alot of sense to me.

You're a Seminoles fan recommending a Miami player?

He just went up my board behind POZ and maybe Timmons.

The knock on Beason has been durability. Any info?

The other thing I just uncovered is that Beason was compared to Lance Briggs, and POZ to A.J. Hawk.

Levy coveted AJ Hawk last year, so I'm beginning to think he's the man, even at #12.

Ugh. Another offseason hearing about how Levy "reached" for a player at #12 that he could have traded down for and picked up some more draft picks. I can't wait.

Jon Beason is a football player. He has a knack for the ball. I think that he will have a successful NFL career and would be a very good pick up for the Bills.

I do think, however, that 12 would be too early to pick him. If we are targeting him, I would prefer that we trade down or pick up another first round pick later in the round to get him.

What I like is that there appears to be 4 LB's with 1st round talent (though I think only Willis should be drafted to play in the middle), which makes trading down much safer. I always hate to hear "if we want _____ we can trade down and get him later". Maybe, maybe not. You always take a chance with trade downs. Who knows what players teams are looking at. I think if there's one guy you want, you take him.

But Willis, Poz, Timmons, and Beason all available and going throughout the first, they can trade down and still have a great chance of getting a good LB if that's what they decide they want.

You're a Seminoles fan recommending a Miami player?

He just went up my board behind POZ and maybe Timmons.

The knock on Beason has been durability. Any info?

The other thing I just uncovered is that Beason was compared to Lance Briggs, and POZ to A.J. Hawk.

Levy coveted AJ Hawk last year, so I'm beginning to think he's the man, even at #12.

maybe before he blew out his knee.

Poz is a shell of what he used to be - justt like Shane Conlan and Spikes were only average after injury. He has great instincts and knows where to go- but he can't get there anymore.

Hopefully this administration does not waste a 1st round pick on an injured player based on pre-injury hype.

maybe before he blew out his knee.

Poz is a shell of what he used to be - justt like Shane Conlan and Spikes were only average after injury. He has great instincts and knows where to go- but he can't get there anymore.

Hopefully this administration does not waste a 1st round pick on an injured player based on pre-injury hype.

What's your opinion on Willis and whether the Bills might draft him.

I am of the opinion that Patrick Willis should be our pick (if available), but should he not be there, I still think there is another GREAT linebacker worthy of a 1st round pick and it's Jon Beason from Miami.

I just watched my old game tapes of the Miami-FSU games and this kid was a pretty special player out there. He is ALWAYS around the ball and shows great instincts. He has average speed (4.6-4.7) but plays faster than that and hasn't had his pro day yet (4/5/07). When he locks on to someone, watch out, as he packs a heckuva wallop! (one that stands out, was a stop he made during a goaline stand -- he came through the line and sent the RB backwards). I did notice that he tends to play a bit high at times and doesn't always use good leverage -- which is why he got overpowered on occasion by bigger offensive lineman -- but these plays didn't overshadow his overall performance. He seems like he is a pretty smart player and made great adjustments thoughout the games I watched.

The scouts assessment of him are that he is a prototypical Tampa 2 OLB, but he could easily play inside if needed. (I think he makes the most sense for Buffalo as an OLB and move Crowell to MLB). Pending his pro day workouts, I see this kid as being the second LB off the board.

I disagree with everyone saying we take a RB in the first. DEFENSE is what we need and, to me, linebacker is the most critical of all. I think Beason would have less of a learning curve than Willis (as the MLB has to make all the calls, etc.) and with the potential to move Crowell to MLB -- this pick would make alot of sense to me.

LBs in the draft:

#1- Patrick Willis

#2- Paul Posluszny "Poz"

#3- Jon Beason

i think i said pretty much the exact same thing a while ago.

Sorry to steal your thunder bizell, I must have missed that thread. In any rate, I'm anxious to see his pro day results on thursday - if he runs well, I think he could really move up alot of people's boards.

Sorry to steal your thunder bizell, I must have missed that thread. In any rate, I'm anxious to see his pro day results on thursday - if he runs well, I think he could really move up alot of people's boards.

no stealing of thunder, just noting how great minds think alike