Forget Turner

vegas55

RB Turner is at the point in his career where he is now or very soon will need to sign a big contract. Bills cannot accomodate that. They will soon have to pay big bucks to JP and Lee Evans - there is no big money left for Turner

RB Turner is at the point in his career where he is now or very soon will need to sign a big contract. Bills cannot accomodate that. They will soon have to pay big bucks to JP and Lee Evans - there is no big money left for Turner

Well, if you say so. Thanks for that very informative "heads-up".

He wouldn't get huge money because he has never been a number one and he has only been in the league three years.

He will get huge money. Any player that is acquired through the giving up of high draft picks can command a big salary based upon his relative value. This is the nature of the NFL, these days. If Schaub can get 96 quintillion zillion dollars, then Turner will get his money, if only based upon his potential and relative value as a tradeable commodity. It would also be foolish of the team that acquires him not to lock him up long term to a new contract, especially considering the price for RB's is only going to go up and whatever contract he signs now will be chump change in a couple years.

There are a few things about Turner that could/dissuade a team from going after him...

1) he's always been a backup to LT. So, can he be an every down back? Is his 6.3 yards per touch more a result of subbing in for LT and opposing defenses letting down just enough to get burned by a very good change-of pace back?

2) SD has guaranteed him 2.5M this season... therefore that's the minumum starting point for any team that wants him... that, plus a player, draft pick, or both.

So, a team trading for him either rents him for a year and in the process gives up something of value... and unless they sign him to a long term deal, they end up with nothing. Do you really want to hitch your wagon to this guy knowing that next year's draaft is rich in the RB category? Will he really be a top 6 or 7 back in this league?

Turner would have to be a clear cut difference maker for any team to give up draft picks and the salary that he now commands. I'm not saying he is or he isn't because there is no clear cut answer. But, it is something to consider.

There are always good backs that a team can grab in Rd. 2 or Rd. 3. Thurman was a 2nd Rounder, Travis was a 2nd rounder, and last year M. Jones-Drew was a 2nd rounder... and I'd love for the Bills to pick up a back like that.

My take on the Bills is that they are clearly continuing their re-shaping and makeover of this team. Playoffs aren't out of the questiuon this year, but, in reality, it's no slam dunk either. Darby, Irons, and a few others can be had for much less than it would cost them for Turner. If it were up to me, I'd stay the course and say no to Turner... no offense to the guy or his accomplishments, I just think the Bills have to invest in guys like JP, Evans, ect. while continuing to add value to the team through the draft this year, and perhaps next season too.

There are a few things about Turner that could/dissuade a team from going after him...

1) he's always been a backup to LT. So, can he be an every down back? Is his 6.3 yards per touch more a result of subbing in for LT and opposing defenses letting down just enough to get burned by a very good change-of pace back?

2) SD has guaranteed him 2.5M this season... therefore that's the minumum starting point for any team that wants him... that, plus a player, draft pick, or both.

So, a team trading for him either rents him for a year and in the process gives up something of value... and unless they sign him to a long term deal, they end up with nothing. Do you really want to hitch your wagon to this guy knowing that next year's draaft is rich in the RB category? Will he really be a top 6 or 7 back in this league?

Turner would have to be a clear cut difference maker for any team to give up draft picks and the salary that he now commands. I'm not saying he is or he isn't because there is no clear cut answer. But, it is something to consider.

There are always good backs that a team can grab in Rd. 2 or Rd. 3. Thurman was a 2nd Rounder, Travis was a 2nd rounder, and last year M. Jones-Drew was a 2nd rounder... and I'd love for the Bills to pick up a back like that.

My take on the Bills is that they are clearly continuing their re-shaping and makeover of this team. Playoffs aren't out of the questiuon this year, but, in reality, it's no slam dunk either. Darby, Irons, and a few others can be had for much less than it would cost them for Turner. If it were up to me, I'd stay the course and say no to Turner... no offense to the guy or his accomplishments, I just think the Bills have to invest in guys like JP, Evans, ect. while continuing to add value to the team through the draft this year, and perhaps next season too.

I do not think that the type of contract that Turner will want will be the sticking point in whether we get him or not. If the Bills really want Turner, money is not going to be the deciding factor. Compensation to the Chargers will be the primary issue. Lets stop thinking cheap. Number one running backs in the NFL get fairly large contracts. It is a fact of life. I think the Bills understand that.

For all the talk about "cash to cap" the Bills want to win. If Turner is there best option, given the other needs that they have, the money will not be a problem. And there will still be money to sign Lee and JP to long term extensions in the future.

He will get huge money. Any player that is acquired through the giving up of high draft picks can command a big salary based upon his relative value. This is the nature of the NFL, these days. If Schaub can get 96 quintillion zillion dollars, then Turner will get his money, if only based upon his potential and relative value as a tradeable commodity. It would also be foolish of the team that acquires him not to lock him up long term to a new contract, especially considering the price for RB's is only going to go up and whatever contract he signs now will be chump change in a couple years.

Shaub got the money because they were going to make him the starting quarterback and basically hand the team over to him because of their offensive minded coach, which is a little different than any other position. Turner will command some coin but not nearly as much as Shaub, IMO. I would think in the 5 year 20 mil range, like Thomas Jones got (not sure of Jones' figures but he got 12 mil guaranteed).

Shaub got the money because they were going to make him the starting quarterback and basically hand the team over to him because of their offensive minded coach, which is a little different than any other position. Turner will command some coin but not nearly as much as Shaub, IMO. I would think in the 5 year 20 mil range, like Thomas Jones got (not sure of Jones' figures but he got 12 mil guaranteed).

Yes, I agree. I never said that Turner would get the same amount of money as Schaub, only that tradeable commodities in the NFL get over inflated contracts based almost solely on potential.

edit: i see where you could have misunderstood. When I said "Turner will get his money", the "his" wasn't referring to Schaub but Turner himself.

Is JP going to get that much money? Don't get me wrong. Im not a JP hater but he hasn't done anything to justify a huge contract has he? Maybe potentially but I would be a bit nervous throwing big money at him.

Is JP going to get that much money? Don't get me wrong. Im not a JP hater but he hasn't done anything to justify a huge contract has he? Maybe potentially but I would be a bit nervous throwing big money at him.

He means, of course, when JP and Evans rip shiit up this coming season, we will then move to extend them in the coming offseason so they don't play '08 as FA years.

I agree with this. I think about Lamont Jordan who was a backup to Curtis Martin and was not as effective going to new team with different scheme and different players around him yet cost Oakland a lot of coin. I believe Turner will want big money. I would rather pay Lynch or Petersen.

Great analysis Doc, I couldn't agree with you more.

I hope Marv & Co stay the course and build via the draft..

Besides, I just cant take the smugness that AJ Smith comes with..hate to let him

take us to the cleaners on too many unknowns (as you mentioned) surrounding Turner.

That said, any chance you can refill my ritalin prescription early this month..Doc ?

Yeah, I don't see this making any sense if it is more than a second round pick to get him, and if we can't sign him to a 4/15 kind of contract. So if that sits well with AJ and with Turner this is a good fit. If that isn't real close for each of them keep our picks and our money, and get it done in the draft.

Lets stop thinking cheap.

There's a fine line between "thinking cheap" and "thinking stupid"... and giving up big money, a couple of draft picks (essentially, 2 way less expensive players that may be solid fixtures) for an unknown commodity, well, ...... is "stupid".

The Bills are going nowhere this year... with or without Turner... that's a given... unless you live in denial or a fantasy world. Yes, they will be improved... maybe they make the playoffs... and if they do, it's one game and out. I'd sooner see them use less expensive scabs at RB this year and then get a damn good RB ala Mike Hart in next year's draft... the RB crop next year is both quality and abundant. If the Bills can get a better back next year with out giving up sh--, then why give up $$$ and potential players? That's moving in reverse.

WOW the studity on this board is amazing. Chargers want a ton for LT's caddy, who is gonna want big money or be a malcontent; and every jack ass in Buffalo is hot for the "deal" Everybody but Marv - hopefully

WOW the studity on this board is amazing. Chargers want a ton for LT's caddy, who is gonna want big money or be a malcontent; and every jack ass in Buffalo is hot for the "deal" Everybody but Marv - hopefully

Crazy "studity".

First of all: JP Losman getting a big contract extension soon? :thumbsup:

There's a fine line between "thinking cheap" and "thinking stupid"... and giving up big money, a couple of draft picks (essentially, 2 way less expensive players that may be solid fixtures) for an unknown commodity, well, ...... is "stupid".

The Bills are going nowhere this year... with or without Turner... that's a given... unless you live in denial or a fantasy world. Yes, they will be improved... maybe they make the playoffs... and if they do, it's one game and out. I'd sooner see them use less expensive scabs at RB this year and then get a damn good RB ala Mike Hart in next year's draft... the RB crop next year is both quality and abundant. If the Bills can get a better back next year with out giving up sh--, then why give up $$$ and potential players? That's moving in reverse.

Secondly: Those two "solid" fixtures (if they turn out to be just that), will want big money once their rookie contracts are completed and knowing Buffalo, we will not pay them.