And Yet another M. Turner Thread

COLLEGE: Left campus ranked 13th on NCAA all-time rushing list with 4,941 yards…second-most rushing yards in Mid-American Conference annals…set school rushing records for yards (4,941), carries (940), touchdowns (43) and 100-yard games (21)…shattered school mark for all-purpose yards (6,038)…second in school history for total points scored (288)…second-team All-America by NFL Draft Report as junior and senior…second-team All-America by Sporting News as senior and third-team as junior…second-team by Sports Illustrated and College Sports Report and third-team by Associated Press…first-team All-MAC as junior and senior…second-leading rusher in nation with 1,648 yards as senior…MAC Player of Year by College Football News, second-team All-America by Football News, third-team by Pro Football Weekly and honorable mention by Sports Illustrated as junior…nation’s second-leading rusher as junior with 1,915 yards, including career-high 282 against Western Illinois…rushed for 230 yards in first college game against Eastern Michigan…played at Northern Illinois from 2000-03…liberal arts and science major.

COLLEGE: Left campus ranked 13th on NCAA all-time rushing list with 4,941 yards…second-most rushing yards in Mid-American Conference annals…set school rushing records for yards (4,941), carries (940), touchdowns (43) and 100-yard games (21)…shattered school mark for all-purpose yards (6,038)…second in school history for total points scored (288)…second-team All-America by NFL Draft Report as junior and senior…second-team All-America by Sporting News as senior and third-team as junior…second-team by Sports Illustrated and College Sports Report and third-team by Associated Press…first-team All-MAC as junior and senior…second-leading rusher in nation with 1,648 yards as senior…MAC Player of Year by College Football News, second-team All-America by Football News, third-team by Pro Football Weekly and honorable mention by Sports Illustrated as junior…nation’s second-leading rusher as junior with 1,915 yards, including career-high 282 against Western Illinois…rushed for 230 yards in first college game against Eastern Michigan…played at Northern Illinois from 2000-03…liberal arts and science major.

You'd have good stats too if you got to play UB every year! :blink: Kidding aside, I'd love to see Turner here. He knows what it takes to play in the NFL and has great skills vs. a draft pick which is always a crap shoot i.e. Tub of Goo Williams.

I remember that Sports Illustrated did a big write-up on him while he was in college. I think they might have coined the phrase Burner Turner. They talked about how he was originally a back-up to a guy that was supposed to be a super star but the guy got injured and Turner stepped in and never looked back. He seemed like a good kid at the time. I wish I could find that issue, I'd like to re-read it.

Here is a draft profile I found on him. Hopefully it provides some insights...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/michael_turner

Thanks! This is really helpful. He's pretty impressive. It appears that one of the criticisms - lack of burst - is without merit based upon the visual evidence we have. I honestly don't know how good of a receiver or blocker he is currently. Anyone else know?

Has he had any hamstring problems at SD?

I remember that Sports Illustrated did a big write-up on him while he was in college. I think they might have coined the phrase Burner Turner. They talked about how he was originally a back-up to a guy that was supposed to be a super star but the guy got injured and Turner stepped in and never looked back. He seemed like a good kid at the time. I wish I could find that issue, I'd like to re-read it.

here are some articles on Turner from college.

http://www.turnertheburner.com/html/notes.html

the one you are talking about might be the second one down (feb.19.2004). if that isn't it, it will have to do. :blink:

It's clear he can run.

But is he smart enough and skilled enough to pick up blitzes and run pass routes taht would justify the meg-contract he wants.

Kenny Davis alos looked great in spot duty because he only had to run straight ahead.

Kenny, however, was dumb as a post, and could not run patterns or pass protect or block.

He was one dimensional and filled a role. However, he could not perform as a full time feature back.

The Bills need to determine if Turner is the real deal.

Look at what the man did when he was on the field for SD. Trust me that team wouldnt miss a beat if LT went down at RB. No, im NOT saying Turner is good as LT, cause hes not, but I am saying that the Chargers offense would still move the ball very well with Turner in there.

here are some articles on Turner from college.

http://www.turnertheburner.com/html/notes.html

the one you are talking about might be the second one down (feb.19.2004). if that isn't it, it will have to do. :blink:

Actually, I was wrong, this USA Today article is the one I was thinking of. It was in the list you provided, thanks. This one is a pretty good read, it explains how Turner moved into the starting role.

http://www.turnertheburner.com/html/news/meet_turner.html

He also fumbles about once a year. Two in the last 500+ carries in college and one in three back-up years in the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/michael_turner

The negatives also basically say that coming into the league, he ran poor routes, had questionable hands despite 43 collegiate receptions, and didn't seem too keen on blocking.

Those are definitely aspects of his game three years later that the Bills will have to evaluate as well if they want him. With only 7 catches in his NFL career, it does make one wonder whether the Chargers viewed him as anything more than a one-dimensional player.

Look at what the man did when he was on the field for SD. Trust me that team wouldnt miss a beat if LT went down at RB. No, im NOT saying Turner is good as LT, cause hes not, but I am saying that the Chargers offense would still move the ball very well with Turner in there.

:blink:;):lol::lol: Trust you? What do you know?

All Hail Michael Turner! The guy who wasn't good enough to play in a premium NCAA conference, the guy who was the 5th round pick, the guy who has proven thus far to be nothing more than an adequate backup on a team that hasn't really needed him yet.

The Chargers wouldn't miss a beat??? Without the best player in the league??? Turner has 7 career catches!!!

Even for this board, this post is retarded.

All Hail Michael Turner! The guy who wasn't good enough to play in a premium NCAA conference, the guy who was the 5th round pick, the guy who has proven thus far to be nothing more than an adequate backup on a team that hasn't really needed him yet.

The Chargers wouldn't miss a beat??? Without the best player in the league??? Turner has 7 career catches!!!

I wouldn't read too much into playing for a small time program. Players are different at 18 and 21, and moreover, Northern Illinois has pumped a few pretty good players into the NFL in recent years (Ryan Diem, Justin McCareins). Finally, Turner grew up in the area (North Chicago).

who has proven thus far to be nothing more than an adequate backup

I would hardly call him 'nothing more than an adequate backup'... he may not be worth mega-bucks based on his lack of starting time, but he is clearly among the elite back-ups and surely better than at least a handful of starters.

Terrell Davis was a 6th round pick and started his college career at Long Beach State. Yes, he transferred to Georgia. What I getting at monjambo is to go easy on the name calling when a lot of p[ayers are successful in the NFL even when they don't come from a premium program or are high draft picks. Oh by the way, what college did Tomlinson attend??

Terrell Davis was a 6th round pick and started his college career at Long Beach State. Yes, he transferred to Georgia. What I getting at monjambo is to go easy on the name calling when a lot of p[ayers are successful in the NFL even when they don't come from a premium program or are high draft picks. Oh by the way, what college did Tomlinson attend??

LT went to TCU and they are consistently a top-20 program. And he was a no-brainer top-5 pick.

Did you read the guy's post??? I quote, "Trust me that team wouldn't miss a beat if LT went down at RB." And you're criticizing me?

Of course players fall through the cracks and are missed by the major schools, and yet end up being successful professionals. But how many? It just doesn't happen that often. It's hilarious the way this board has granted "God's gift" status to a backup player on one of the best teams in the league. Maybe he could come to Buffalo, rush for 1150 yards and 7 TDs for three years, and then we can all decide he sucks and run him out of town.

I'm sure RB's across the NFL and NCAA are clammoring to be the guy following Travis and Willis into this gauntlet...