Best Free Agents left???

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well now he is Domanick Williams. Name change.

He is just as injury prone as Brown is.

Again I think Marv is done with the RB spot unless a trade for Turner happens before the draft. Which as a fan I'm still wrestling with as if I want him. I mean I want him. But for what price? I don't want to give up that #12 spot for him.

So sorry. Didn't know some people were so touchy about dude's name. LOL!!! Anyway, you can't tell me he wouldn't be a decent addition if he comes in for less than a mill a year for a couple of seasons. I'd sign him whether he was Dominick Davis, Dominick Williams, or Saint Dominick if the price was right given the numbers he has put up before in the recent past.

I think many people complain because this team is thin at several positions. If you take an objective look, there are multiple positions that have absolutely no depth and an injury would mean catastrophy. As important as the draft is, you cannot fill your team with drafting. It's common knowledge that RB, LB, DT, CB, S depth, a #2 WR, and TE could use upgrades. That's more than most teams have. Reasonable free agent acquisitions at LB or CB would have gone a long way to providing more security. The front office for their own reasons decided against this.

The perceived impatience with a lack of free agent/trade acquisitions should not be confused by fans who understand just how short we are on talent at certain positions. Knowing the draft will provide 2-3 players maximum per year is a big part of that as well.

Buffalo did acquire 4 players in free agency, which is more than some teams did, but we certainly have more needs.

I disagree. LB, RB and CB are our areas of need and those positions are the easist to fill immediately through the draft. The o-line signings were wise in that o-line is the most difficult UNIT to fill via draft

Uhhhh..... I believe the reason most fans are upset with the offseason is because it's been a joke. The 'glass half full' crew believes that a revitalized offensive line will be the cure all for this team. Personally, I do think that J.P will have more protection but that's only one aspect of the game.

2 of our three starting linebackers are gone. Those two have been very important members of the organization. Clements who was our best cover CB is gone. Our starting backfield (HB and FB) is gone. Those are huge departures from our team no matter how any of us want to paint the picture.

Some will argue that we've still got the draft and under the radar free agents still available. Yet I believe what we are looking for is impact players. Even if our draft year was AMAZING, I still believe we've created more holes than can be filled in just ONE draft class.

God knows no one is a sure thing and we have enough blunders to prove that. I'm disappointed with the offseason but level headed enough to wait until September. Marv is building a team the way he thinks he's supposed to. If it fails he'll be responsible. If he exceeds all expectations it will be a ringing endorsement of him as a GM.

There are alot of holes in the bottom of this ship right now folks. Fans like me just want to see them plugged. Not with stop gaps but with real players who make a difference. I guess we'll all have to wait and see what happens.

The Real

I think the word you're looking for is awful.

I can't stress this enough: I have honestly felt for years that Lavaar Arrington is and has been THE most overrated player in NFL. I watched teams throw money at him after essentially having only one career year.

I've talked about this with friends and it has always been one of the more baffling things about the NFL. It was even more annoying during nationally televised games when announcers would repeatedly comment about how great he is; only to watch him play poorly during that particular game.

I ask you honestly, did this guy make a deal with the devil?

So sorry. Didn't know some people were so touchy about dude's name. LOL!!! Anyway, you can't tell me he wouldn't be a decent addition if he comes in for less than a mill a year for a couple of seasons. I'd sign him whether he was Dominick Davis, Dominick Williams, or Saint Dominick if the price was right given the numbers he has put up before in the recent past.

Touchy? I don't care lol I was just putting that out there because I wasn't sure if anyone knew that yet. I wasn't trying to act like a know it all or touchy.

I agree with you. He will probably be cheap (sorry everyone) and lets not forget..

The TEXANS passed on Reggie Bush partly cuz they had Dominic DaLLiams...

Dont get me wrong I know the TEXANS dumped genius Charley Casserly afterwards..

I'm not sayin' but I'm sayin'...he could do something for us this year and let us focus more

on LB and CB in the draft.

I agree with you. He will probably be cheap (sorry everyone) and lets not forget..

The TEXANS passed on Reggie Bush partly cuz they had Dominic DaLLiams...

Dont get me wrong I know the TEXANS dumped genius Charley Casserly afterwards..

I'm not sayin' but I'm sayin'...he could do something for us this year and let us focus more

on LB and CB in the draft.

If he could be signed for the veteran minimum and an insentive laden contract, I don't think there is any downside. It's much less of a chance that drafting a guy with the 1st round pick who just put his leg on backwards and doesn't see the field for more than a year. I agree it's worth a shot. It it doesn't work out, you're not out much...if it does, it's a great investment!

Bryant=Headcase means the Bills would never sign him.

Rattay, Carr, ect.- Bills will draft a 3rd QB on the 2nd day of the draft and develop him. They are not wasting a nickle more than they have to on a 3rd QB.

Think "What Would Marv Do?"

I should have T-Shirts made.

I disagree. LB, RB and CB are our areas of need and those positions are the easist to fill immediately through the draft. The o-line signings were wise in that o-line is the most difficult UNIT to fill via draft

OK, well, when we can't stop the run like last season because our DT's have no ability to penetrate please do not complain.

And do you know who Marcus McNeill is? He was a rookie of the year candidate playing LT for SD last season. The #50 overall pick. Of course, he's been in the league one season, but he got raves from across the NFL. It's not impossible to find people who can start right away in the league who are better or equal to a veteran.

The O-Line is the most important part of a football team. An OL that can run and pass block keeps the D off the field and puts up points. But your defense needs to be strong up the middle in the cover-2. And ours isn't strong right now.

OK, well, when we can't stop the run like last season because our DT's have no ability to penetrate please do not complain.

And do you know who Marcus McNeill is? He was a rookie of the year candidate playing LT for SD last season. The #50 overall pick. Of course, he's been in the league one season, but he got raves from across the NFL. It's not impossible to find people who can start right away in the league who are better or equal to a veteran

Marcus McNeill is the exception, NOT the rule.

The O-Line is the most important part of a football team. An OL that can run and pass block keeps the D off the field and puts up points. But your defense needs to be strong up the middle in the cover-2. And ours isn't strong right now.

Really? Can I borrow your crystal ball? :blink:

Marcus McNeill is the exception, NOT the rule.

Really? Can I borrow your crystal ball? :blink:

You can borrow my crystal ball anytime you want. It doesn't take a genius to figure out we've added relatively nothing to our defense and draft picks generally do not provide the difference their first season. We're wishing and hoping that Crowell moves into the MLB slot without problems. Ellison is a starter, and we've got about nothing after that with NFL experience playing the LB position. As for the DL, we've got the same cast of characters from last year and D. Walker. If you think we'll magically be able to stop opposing RB's, you're dreaming. Sorry if that's too realistic.

And sure, not every guy is McNeill, but good front offices make a habit out of finding guys like this. Derrick Dockery was a third round picks and started 61 of 64 games in Washington. Let's see, who else now. Max Starks was a third, Stacy Andrews in CIN was a fourth rounder. Jake Scott of IND a fifth rounder. Vince Manuwai was a third, Dan Koppen of NE a fourth, Tony Pashos a fourth, Jonas Jennings a third, Ryan Diem a fourth, Floyd Womack a fourth, Cooper Carlisle a fourth.

Notice any trends there? Good teams draft good players. It's no coincidence that Indy and NE have guys on their lines that are drafted and play well. Ryan O'Callaghan played well for NE this season.

So there are plenty of exceptions. Perhaps not at LT all the time, but certainly on the O-Line.

You can borrow my crystal ball anytime you want. It doesn't take a genius to figure out we've added relatively nothing to our defense and draft picks generally do not provide the difference their first season. We're wishing and hoping that Crowell moves into the MLB slot without problems. Ellison is a starter, and we've got about nothing after that with NFL experience playing the LB position. As for the DL, we've got the same cast of characters from last year and D. Walker. If you think we'll magically be able to stop opposing RB's, you're dreaming. Sorry if that's too realistic.

Well for starters, the Bills will be getting back McCargo, who is bigger and more experienced than he was last year. Same goes for Kyle Williams. And Walker was a great addition. Additionally, Anthony Hargrove will get a full off-season, training camp, and pre-season, unlike last year when he joined the Bills in-season. Believe me when I say that DL is not a major concern of mine anymore, barring injuries.

At LB, I'm fine with Crowell playing anywhere and Ellison starting, and I'll leave it up to the Bills to determine which LB'er they should add in the draft (i.e. MLB like Willis with Crowell playing OLB or an OLB with Crowell playing MLB). Like with McNeill, a 2nd round MLB was DROTY last year (DeMeco Ryans), so it's not impossible for a rookie to make an impact. :lol:

And sure, not every guy is McNeill, but good front offices make a habit out of finding guys like this. Derrick Dockery was a third round picks and started 61 of 64 games in Washington. Let's see, who else now. Max Starks was a third, Stacy Andrews in CIN was a fourth rounder. Jake Scott of IND a fifth rounder. Vince Manuwai was a third, Dan Koppen of NE a fourth, Tony Pashos a fourth, Jonas Jennings a third, Ryan Diem a fourth, Floyd Womack a fourth, Cooper Carlisle a fourth.
...Jason Peters was an UDFA. :blink:
Notice any trends there? Good teams draft good players. It's no coincidence that Indy and NE have guys on their lines that are drafted and play well. Ryan O'Callaghan played well for NE this season.

So too did Terrence Pennington.

I think that I would take a dhot on Domanick Davis. Two years ago he was the Texans "RB of the Future" and after an injury, he's out. I think we could probably get him for cheap and who knows what could happen when he steps on the field. He almost certainly has to feel he has something to prove to the Texans and the other teams that have passed on him. Why not take a shot on him?

I would take a flyer on Domanick Williams for a very small signing bonus and an incentive laden contract. The rest of that list is garbage, IMO.

Well for starters, the Bills will be getting back McCargo, who is bigger and more experienced than he was last year. Same goes for Kyle Williams. And Walker was a great addition. Additionally, Anthony Hargrove will get a full off-season, training camp, and pre-season, unlike last year when he joined the Bills in-season. Believe me when I say that DL is not a major concern of mine anymore, barring injuries.

At LB, I'm fine with Crowell playing anywhere and Ellison starting, and I'll leave it up to the Bills to determine which LB'er they should add in the draft (i.e. MLB like Willis with Crowell playing OLB or an OLB with Crowell playing MLB). Like with McNeill, a 2nd round MLB was DROTY last year (DeMeco Ryans), so it's not impossible for a rookie to make an impact. :lol:

...Jason Peters was an UDFA. :blink:

So too did Terrence Pennington.

John McCargo is simply an unproven commodity. How you put faith into a player who broke the same foot he did in college, played in five games his rookie year with few impact plays, and did not start as a rookie first round pick (and was beaten out by a 5th rounder with less potential) I'll never know. Just because a player put on 5 pounds of muscle, does that instantly make him a better player? It most surely does not. Walker is a good add, but he's a pass rushing DT, not the type who can play the run. And if Anthony Hargrove is so good, why didn't Buffalo let Kelsay walk in FA? They're both DE's, but Hargrove was used as a pass rushing DT at 272 lbs last season because they didn't have a better option. Walker will fill that spot in obvious passing downs I'd imagine this year.

DeMeco Ryans had an outstanding season, mostly because the front four in Houston was so bad. I've said it before, you will see lots of tackles from DB's and LB's when your front four is poor in run defense. Houston surrendered 5400 total yards last season. (122.3 rypg) Buffalo gave up 5273. (140.9 rypg) While total yards aren't the only indicator of a defense and can be used out of context, it's safe to say neither team was strong against the run, allowing guys like LFB and Ryans to make loads of tackles.

It comes down to this simple fact. We overestimate our players to make ourselves feel better. Same goes for our draft picks. We lose objectivity because we need to feel our picks are so much better and counter the NFL "experts." Those same experts were harsh with their assessment of our 06 draft class last season, but check back to see how many 06 picks remain in 2 years. And if Terrance Pennington is good, why did the front office decide to acquire Langston Walker? After all, if Marv is so highly trusted among fans to make the good decisions, he wouldn't get anyone to challenge Pennington if the latter was worthy of the starting nod.

Touchy? I don't care lol I was just putting that out there because I wasn't sure if anyone knew that yet. I wasn't trying to act like a know it all or touchy.

LOL!!! I was just joking around dude. I knew it wasn't serious at all. Just saying that maybe we could take a shot on the guy. None of you can honestly say that Shaud Williams is better than he is.