How did everyone miss this?

ROCCEO

Brandon, this is probably a smokescreen, but a clever one! Tennessee at 19 also wants Meachem, but is also talking Lynch.

The Bills meet with Meachem to steer Tennessee wrong.

The other scenario is the Bills trading their 1st and 4th to Green Bay for their 1st and 2nd, to move down in front of Tennessee, but to choose someone other than Meachem. The 4 that should be there at Green Bay's pick would be The Poz, Lynch, Revis, and Houston.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Brandon, this is probably a smokescreen, but a clever one! Tennessee at 19 also wants Meachem, but is also talking Lynch.

The other scenario is the Bills trading their 1st and 4th to Green Bay for their 1st and 2nd, to move down in front of Tennessee, but to choose someone other than Meachem. The 4 that should be there at Green Bay's pick would be The Poz, Lynch, Revis, and Houston.

Thats a good point, bot. It could very well be a smoke screen to throw teams off their scent. But I hope not.

It could be, but I think the 2nd meeting is more likely to indicate that the Bills do have some degree of interest in him.

Did anyone else assume this is in case he slips to us in the second round? That's what I thought it was.

Its not likely. Meachem is considered the 2nd WR on the board by many at this point and is expected to go in the middle half of R1.

Its possible that the Bills could be eyeing him as a target if they trade up from 43 into the latter half of R1, but I think that its highly unlikely they'd do so for a WR.

Bills | Meachem to visit

Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:31:03 -0700

KFFL has learned the Buffalo Bills will meet with Tennessee WR Robert Meachem April 3.

To all those who are gonna come out and say that this isnt a big deal why does it deserve its own thread, I say, at this point in the offseason not much is a big deal.

So, everybody said we reached for Whitner (me too) but the Bills loved him so much they did not want to risk moving down and snached him at #8 last year EVEN THOUGH THEY NEVER HAD IN BUFFALO FOR A PRE DRAF VISIT.

Hey, if Marv takes him I have no problem with it but there is a small chance (smirk) that since he is a quality person and very strong, talented WR it all facets that the Bills know others are interested and know the other think the Bills are interested. I smell smoke!!! Stop, Drop and Roll!!!!!!!

Editted for readability.... Sorry

So, everybody said we reached for Whitner (me too) but the Bills loved him so much they did not want to risk moving down and snached him at #8 last year EVEN THOUGH THEY NEVER HAD IN BUFFALO FOR A PRE DRAF VISIT.

Hey, if Marv takes him I have no problem with it. But there is a small chance (smirk) that since he is a quality person and a very strong, talented WR in all facets that the Bills know others are interested very close to 12. Now the other teams think the Bills are or at least could be interested.

I smell smoke!!! Stop, Drop and Roll!!!!!!!

Its not likely. Meachem is considered the 2nd WR on the board by many at this point and is expected to go in the middle half of R1.

Its possible that the Bills could be eyeing him as a target if they trade up from 43 into the latter half of R1, but I think that its highly unlikely they'd do so for a WR.

Some quotes from NFL Draft scout

"Higher than you Think: At this point, I don't know of another draft analyst ranking Meachem as the second-best receiver of the 2007 class. I know of at least a half dozen NFL teams that do -- including a handful of that own picks in the top 15. Those toward the middle of the first round don't expect Meachem to be available when they pick."

NFL COMBINE: Meachem may have solidified a first-round grade by having a good Sunday at the combine workouts. The 6-4, 214-pound receiver from Tennessee kicked off his workout by running a 4.39 40, third best in his group and tied for seventh among the receivers who worked out. He showed good power during his run. His arms spread out wide like an airplane as he gathered his speed. Though you would think the extended arms would have slowed him down, it didn't. Meachem predicted on Friday he would run in the 4.3s and he lived up to his prediction. What was most impressive about his drill work was how well he caught the ball with his hands instead of his body and how he positioned himself after the catch. On throws to the inside of the numbers, he watches the ball into his hands while positioning his feet to get yards after the catch. He caught all of the balls on the gauntlet drills going across the field and allowed very few balls to hit the ground during the day. He did seem to be a little slow coming out of his cuts as he went around a cone on some precision routes. That is the type of footwork he would need to improve. He looked very natural on the long passes and showed great ability to adjust to over-the-shoulder catches and long passes. He seems to have the right combination of size, speed and pass-catching ability to merit a first-round grade. -- John Clayton, PFWA

It was a couple Months back now, but Marv was asked about Needs and the 1st thing that came out was a WR that could challenge for PT. Can't remember exactly when but I remember it because I was thinking Ginn Jr. at the time... :beer:

It was a couple Months back now, but Marv was asked about Needs and the 1st thing that came out was a WR that could challenge for PT. Can't remember exactly when

Yep, I remember Marv saying that; however my take was that they Price's days as a BB are numbered and that Reed might not be far behind.

Here is a good read on Meachem from ESPN :

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/news/story?id=2796214

This guy fits the type of player that Levy likes. You have to consider that "The Bills" draft board is rated differently than the so called experts. Where character, love of football and no attitude have some weight as to weather or not they draft a guy, think Donte Whitner . Listen to what Marv had to say about the guy and that might give you some insight as to how we are going to draft. Last year we had Whitner rated higher than Michael Huff. Most of the so called experts thought Huff...by leaps and bounds was the better player prior to the draft. Here is the quote from Huff on his draft diary found @ http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?p=605114 Michael Huff quote : " During the trips, I had a huge shock when I visited the Dolphins in Miami and then made the trip to Buffalo to see the Bills. In Miami, the weather was beautiful and sunny with palm trees everywhere. I was surrounded by snow and icy weather in Buffalo the next day. I couldn't believe the difference in weather changes between the two places! I know I can handle the snow if I end up in Buffalo or Detroit, but I do have to say, the warm and sunny weather in Miami was a welcome sight. " After reading that and its fairly easy to see why "The Bills" draft board is different from others.

Yep, I remember Marv saying that; however my take was that they Price's days as a BB are numbered and that Reed might not be far behind.

Reed isn't going anywhere. He had a very solid season for what the Bills wanted him for.

Marv backed that thinking up last year by signing him to a three year deal if I remember right.

Losing Reed would not be good for this football team. Even if they did take Robert, Reed nor Price will be going anywhere. It takes time for a rookie receiver to play well in the NFL. Now maybe Price would be gone after this year but no way will they let Price go even if they draft a WR.

Reed is our best blocking WR as well. Plus he got back to his form of catching everything last year.