Iran releases video of British hostages

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do they always make women, who aren't even Iranian or Muslim, wear that head scarf?

I saw an interview with Diane Sawyer and she was made to wear it.

Image making a muslim reporter in the US wear jewish or christian symbols?

Disgusting that it is not noticed by so called "rights groups"

Why do they always make women, who aren't even Iranian or Muslim, wear that head scarf?

In their world, we're second class citizens to be treated like dogs.

Would you consider eating from a dog's bowl or being led around by a leash? Thats what we are to them.

In their world, we're second class citizens to be treated like dogs.

Would you consider eating from a dog's bowl or being led around by a leash? Thats what we are to them.

That is another thing I don't get.

In the past, I have heard people from the middle east say stuff like "Your are fifthly dog" when talking about Bush or who ever.

Don't they know we actually LIKE dogs?

In the hip hop world, "dog" is even used as another word for friend or brother.

And they say we don't understand their culture......

DOG RULE YOU BASTARDS!!

Diane Sawyer was not "made" to wear it, she chose to wear it as a sign of respect for their customs, as do other women reporters in Muslim countries when meeting with officials. Just as non-Jewish men wear a yahmaka (sp?) when in a Jewish temple. If you don't want to respect others customs, don't go there.

The British woman detainee is not there by choice, so in her case I'm sure they insisted she respect their custom.

Diane Sawyer was not "made" to wear it, she chose to wear it as a sign of respect for their customs, as do other women reporters in Muslim countries when meeting with officials. Just as non-Jewish men wear a yahmaka (sp?) when in a Jewish temple. If you don't want to respect others customs, don't go there.

The British woman detainee is not there by choice, so in her case I'm sure they insisted she respect their custom.

Actually, I suspect Sawyer didn't have much choice in the matter. I'm sure she wasn't "made" to wear it...but I'm equally sure it wasn't "pretty please with sugar on top, respect our customs when you're here?" It was probably "We require, by Islamic law, women be covered. If you don't respect Islamic law...no story," and Sawyer chose the story and the scarf.

And the head scarf isn't intended as something demeaning...not originally, at least. It's original intent was...well, rather complicated, actually. Too much so for this crowd, now that I think of it.

They already kidnapped people. I highly doubt rights groups are the first thing on their mind.

They already kidnapped people. I highly doubt rights groups are the first thing on their mind.

They weren't kidnapped, they're detained because they're accused of crossing into Iranian territorial waters, just as Mexicans who cross our border (except the Iranians are better at defending it). Would you call the 5 Iranians that the U.S. took out of their consulate in Iraq (which is supposed to be soverign territory) and are still being held kidnapped hostages? Put the jingoism aside and try to be objective.

What I can't believe is that the British would leave a group of Marines alone without any backup support so close to disputed waters in the first place. That's just asking for trouble in a bad neighborhood.

Just as non-Jewish men wear a yahmaka (sp?) when in a Jewish temple. If you don't want to respect others customs, don't go there.

Right, they wear a yahmaka in a JEWISH TEMPLE. Not when they enter a jewish country!

I don't think the English woman was in mosque when she was video taped.

And Diane Sawyer wasn't.

As far as "If you don't want to respect others customs, don't go there", man I wish that would apply here!

And the head scarf isn't intended as something demeaning...not originally, at least. It's original intent was...well, rather complicated, actually. Too much so for this crowd, now that I think of it.

No I never said it was demeaning in their eyes.

I was just trying to point out it seems to be a case of people pushing their faith on people.

Do that here and people flip out.

Just wonder why the point is never made.

Right, they wear a yahmaka in a JEWISH TEMPLE. Not when they enter a jewish country!

I don't think the English woman was in mosque when she was video taped.

And Diane Sawyer wasn't.

As far as "If you don't want to respect others customs, don't go there", man I wish that would apply here!

Customs extend beyond religious buildings. Some countries that are more diverse are more liberal with their customs than others. When in Rome...

Would you call the 5 Iranians that the U.S. took out of their consulate in Iraq (which is supposed to be soverign territory) and are still being held kidnapped hostages?

I'd call it a completely different situation. From all accounts, the Iranians entered Iraqi waters to detain the British sailors. At worst, there's a dispute as to exactly where the sailors were. There's no dispute that Iranians were detained in Iraq.

Had US forces actually crossed the border into Iran and "detained" five Iranians...yeah, that would be kidnapping. Detaining them in Baghdad...not so much.

I'd call it a completely different situation. From all accounts, the Iranians entered Iraqi waters to detain the British sailors. At worst, there's a dispute as to exactly where the sailors were. There's no dispute that Iranians were detained in Iraq.

Had US forces actually crossed the border into Iran and "detained" five Iranians...yeah, that would be kidnapping. Detaining them in Baghdad...not so much.

Yeah, so what? Only P separates Iran and Iraq. So what can you say about the water line that separates Iran & Iraq? It's all water, what makes it Iraqi water and not Iranian water? It's all H2O, man.

Yeah, so what? Only P separates Iran and Iraq. So what can you say about the water line that separates Iran & Iraq? It's all water, what makes it Iraqi water and not Iranian water? It's all H2O, man.

But what if Jesus was to turn it into wine?

Isn't videotape/photographs of soldiers being detained/captive against the Geneva Convention? Or is that only when they're being shown in a 'humiliating' manner or somesuch?

Maybe the UN will put Iran on double-secret sanctions.

Well it's a damn good thing that Blair and Bush have been fighting so hard on benalf of the Geneva Convention wrt detainees lately. You wouldn't want something like that to come back and bite you in the ass.

Customs extend beyond religious buildings. Some countries that are more diverse are more liberal with their customs than others. When in Rome...

Good thing the world is protected by kind, open-minded and understanding people like you.

What would we do without your tolerance of others, PJ?

Iran needs a spanking, methinks.