Iran releases video of British hostages

Another point being lost here, the dirt bags at Gitmo are not uniformed members of a country's army.

I am pretty sure when they started cut the heads off people and videotaping it they should loose some rights granted to soldiers in a legitimate army.

The British marines were on UN mandated mission to stop smuggling.

Why aren't the UN supporting left wing moonbats aren't up in arms over that?

How can the UN save the world if people are going to do that their folks?

Actually, if a uniformed soldier from a legitimate national army decapitates someone and spreads the video on the internet, the Geneva Convention allows you to court martial and, if they're found guilty, shoot them.

Which doesn't mean the detainees have more rights than a uniformed soldier. It means they don't have the right to be tried for war crimes, hence they can't be punished for them. Kinda ironical how having less rights protects them.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, if a uniformed soldier from a legitimate national army decapitates someone and spreads the video on the internet, the Geneva Convention allows you to court martial and, if they're found guilty, shoot them.

Which doesn't mean the detainees have more rights than a uniformed soldier. It means they don't have the right to be tried for war crimes, hence they can't be punished for them. Kinda ironical how having less rights protects them.

I guess that is one advantage of fighting proxy wars thru Kooks

I guess that is one advantage of fighting proxy wars thru Kooks

It's an advantage for the Kooks.

The real advantage for nation-states is initiative: terrorists and insurgents do not play defense. They attack. When attacked themselves, they almost always maintain the option to accept or decline battle.

It's why Iran is being so damned pushy the past few years to begin with. We exposed a major part of our armed forces to Iranian pressure, in such a way as to completely cede the military and political initiative to the Iranians. 150k American troops on their doorstep isn't a threat to them, it's an opportunity.

If this is how Iran acts now, imagine them with a nuke.

The same, pretty much. I think everyone learned from 9/11 that you have to maintain a measure of deniability and be careful not to use disproportionate force, else the US will stomp you like a bug. Even with nukes, Iran wouldn't last a half-hour against the US military, and they know it, hence their best bet for the forseeable future is to do precisely what they're doing now: provoke limited Western military reactions so that they can maintain their moral ascendancy of victimization while still maintaining the military and political initiative themselves. The moment they use a nuke, they lose all of that.

The same, pretty much. I think everyone learned from 9/11 that you have to maintain a measure of deniability and be careful not to use disproportionate force, else the US will stomp you like a bug. Even with nukes, Iran wouldn't last a half-hour against the US military, and they know it, hence their best bet for the forseeable future is to do precisely what they're doing now: provoke limited Western military reactions so that they can maintain their moral ascendancy of victimization while still maintaining the military and political initiative themselves. The moment they use a nuke, they lose all of that.

Nice analysis, Tom. I'll only add, that these folks will play the Korean card as long as they can. If the do get to that "moment" Israel will be gone.

Thanks Russia. :lol:

Though, if it wasn't them, it would be China, India or Pakistan

Wait. Shouldn't I be jumping up and down with joy over the War budget/supplement that was passed by the houses? :thumbsup: