Astro's All-"Blue-Collar" Mock Draft:

Astrobot

Got Your Lunch Pail? Here We Go...

ROUND 1 (Trade Down for 2B)--Paul Poszlusny, Penn State, OLB "The two-time winner (2005-06) of the Bednarik Award as the nation's top defensive player and the second Nittany Lion to win the Butkus Award as the nation's top linebacker in the last six seasons (joining LaVar Arrington), Posluszny served as co-captain for his senior season....Posluszny attacks the weight room and off-season conditioning with an infectious zeal, and his BLUE COLLAR grit and fierce competitiveness got him voted Penn State's first junior captain since 1968...He changed his number from 39 to 31 before the 2004 season in reverence to former All-America linebacker Shane Conlan, who led a dynamic defensive unit that held every opponent to 19 points or less to fuel Penn State's 1986 National Championship. "

ROUND 2A--Tony Hunt, RB, Penn State, 6-2, 239

If there's such a thing as a BLUE COLLAR running back, Hunt fits the description. He seldom dazzles with a spectacular play but keeps moving the chains. He could benefit from running with more urgency and aggressiveness. He rushed for 3,162 yards and 25 TDs and caught 87 passes for 792 yards and three TDs.

ROUND 2B---Quinn Pitcock, DT, OSU: 6-3, 301

Pitcock was the BLUE COLLAR anchor of the Buckeyes' veteran defensive line that featured fellow seniors David Patterson and Jay Richardson. With Pitcock leading the way, the OSU defense ranked 12th in the nation, giving up just 280.46 yards in total offense in 2006 after ranking fifth nationally in 2005, when the Buckeyes allowed just 281.33 yards per game....With Pitcock handling multiple blockers, the defense ranked 12th in the nation with an average of 2.92 sacks per game and the team finished fifth nationally in that category the previous season (3.67).

ROUND 3A--Tim Shaw, OLB, Penn State, 6-2, 236: "Shaw has always had a reputation as a BLUE COLLAR worker who somehow finds a way to get the job done, especially when he is needed most. Of his 121 career tackles against the run, 47 stopped opponents on third down, with nine more coming on fourth down; that's stepping up. Shaw impressed scouts at the combine with a 4.51 time in the 40 and 26 reps with 225 pounds. Both marks were the best among outside linebackers..."

ROUND 4--HB Blades, ILB

ROUND 5--Zak DeOssie, LB Brown "...as a BLUE COLLAR guy who could develop into a stud eventually. I think he's about a seventh-rounder right now but we saw Chris Gocong make a big jump at the Combine last year..."

ROUND 6--6. Mike Jones, OG Iowa 6-5,300 (5.4)--"Very experienced – has started since he was a freshman. Started 34 consecutive games. Definitely a BLUE COLLAR guy who’s scrappy. Can get to the second level on running plays and holds his own in pass protection. Isn’t a great athlete, but gets the job done."

ROUND 7A--Jason Snelling, FB, Virginia--Like Brian Leonard, Snelling is equally comfortable as a tailback and a fullback. Unlike Leonard, teams will see him as a fullback that can also catch passes and run the ball in short yardage instead of a tailback that can also line up as a lead blocker. Snelling's BLUE COLLAR attitude assures that he'll be a quality addition to any offense.

ROUND 7B--Paul Mosley, RB, Baylor, 6'3" 240 - Mosley is eerily similar to Brandon Jacobs. He might be a diamond in the rough because he was misused this year in Baylor's spread offense.

no 3B?

Sorry. I had to go out.

In retrospect, ILB HB Blades will go in Round 3B, so he's the blue collar pick there.

The Round 4 blue collar pick is CB Kenny Scott "6-1 .. 185" .. 4.39 (40) .. (Georgia Tech): Tall speedy man to man guy. He's perfect fr the Tampa2 because he closes fast and plays the run well.

The Whole Thing, then:

ASTROBOT’S ALL BLUE COLLAR DRAFT

ROUND 1 (Trade Down for 2B)--Paul Posluszny, OLB Penn State, "The two-time winner (2005-06) of the Bednarik Award as the nation's top defensive player and the second Nittany Lion to win the Butkus Award as the nation's top linebacker in the last six seasons (joining LaVar Arrington), Posluszny served as co-captain for his senior season....Posluszny attacks the weight room and off-season conditioning with an infectious zeal, and his BLUE COLLAR grit and fierce competitiveness got him voted Penn State's first junior captain since 1968...He changed his number from 39 to 31 before the 2004 season in reverence to former All-America linebacker Shane Conlan, who led a dynamic defensive unit that held every opponent to 19 points or less to fuel Penn State's 1986 National Championship. "

If there's such a thing as a BLUE COLLAR running back, Hunt fits the description. He seldom dazzles with a spectacular play but keeps moving the chains. He could benefit from running with more urgency and aggressiveness. He rushed for 3,162 yards and 25 TDs and caught 87 passes for 792 yards and three TDs.

Pitcock was the BLUE COLLAR anchor of the Buckeyes' veteran defensive line that featured fellow seniors David Patterson and Jay Richardson. With Pitcock leading the way, the OSU defense ranked 12th in the nation, giving up just 280.46 yards in total offense in 2006 after ranking fifth nationally in 2005, when the Buckeyes allowed just 281.33 yards per game.... With Pitcock handling multiple blockers, the defense ranked 12th in the nation with an average of 2.92 sacks per game and the team finished fifth nationally in that category the previous season (3.67).

ROUND 3A--Tim Shaw, OLB, Penn State, 6-2, 236: "Shaw has always had a reputation as a BLUE COLLAR worker who somehow finds a way to get the job done, especially when he is needed most. Of his 121 career tackles against the run, 47 stopped opponents on third down, with nine more coming on fourth down; that's stepping up. Shaw impressed scouts at the combine with a 4.51 time in the 40 and 26 reps with 225 pounds. Both marks were the best among outside linebackers..."

ROUND 3B--HB Blades, ILB Pitt. #4 rated ILB, #95 in the Draft Scout Top 750. A BLUE COLLAR and bring your hard hat to work guy.

ROUND 4-- Kenny Scott CB "6-1. 185”. 4.39 (40). (Georgia Tech): Tall speedy man-to-man guy. He's perfect for the Tampa2 because he closes fast and plays the run well.

ROUND 5--Zak DeOssie, LB Brown "...as a BLUE COLLAR guy who could develop into a stud eventually. I think he's about a seventh-rounder right now but we saw Chris Gocong make a big jump at the Combine last year..."

ROUND 6--. Mike Jones, OG Iowa 6-5,300 (5.4)--"Very experienced – has started since he was a freshman. Started 34 consecutive games. Definitely a BLUE COLLAR guy who’s scrappy. Can get to the second level on running plays and holds his own in pass protection. Isn’t a great athlete, but gets the job done."

ROUND 7A--Jason Snelling, FB, Virginia--Like Brian Leonard, Snelling is equally comfortable as a tailback and a fullback. Unlike Leonard, teams will see him as a fullback that can also catch passes and run the ball in short yardage instead of a tailback that can also line up as a lead blocker. Snelling's BLUE COLLAR attitude assures that he'll be a quality addition to any offense.

ROUND 7B--Paul Mosley, RB, Baylor, 6'3" 240 - Mosley is eerily similar to Brandon Jacobs. He might be a diamond in the rough because he was misused this year in Baylor's spread offense.

The Whole Thing, then:

ASTROBOT’S ALL BLUE COLLAR DRAFT

ROUND 1 (Trade Down for 2B)--Paul Posluszny, OLB Penn State, "The two-time winner (2005-06) of the Bednarik Award as the nation's top defensive player and the second Nittany Lion to win the Butkus Award as the nation's top linebacker in the last six seasons (joining LaVar Arrington), Posluszny served as co-captain for his senior season....Posluszny attacks the weight room and off-season conditioning with an infectious zeal, and his BLUE COLLAR grit and fierce competitiveness got him voted Penn State's first junior captain since 1968...He changed his number from 39 to 31 before the 2004 season in reverence to former All-America linebacker Shane Conlan, who led a dynamic defensive unit that held every opponent to 19 points or less to fuel Penn State's 1986 National Championship. "

Pitcock was the BLUE COLLAR anchor of the Buckeyes' veteran defensive line that featured fellow seniors David Patterson and Jay Richardson. With Pitcock leading the way, the OSU defense ranked 12th in the nation, giving up just 280.46 yards in total offense in 2006 after ranking fifth nationally in 2005, when the Buckeyes allowed just 281.33 yards per game.... With Pitcock handling multiple blockers, the defense ranked 12th in the nation with an average of 2.92 sacks per game and the team finished fifth nationally in that category the previous season (3.67).

ROUND 3B--HB Blades, ILB Pitt. #4 rated ILB, #95 in the Draft Scout Top 750. A BLUE COLLAR and bring your hard hat to work guy.

ROUND 4-- Kenny Scott CB "6-1. 185”. 4.39 (40). (Georgia Tech): Tall speedy man-to-man guy. He's perfect for the Tampa2 because he closes fast and plays the run well.

ROUND 6--. Mike Jones, OG Iowa 6-5,300 (5.4)--"Very experienced – has started since he was a freshman. Started 34 consecutive games. Definitely a BLUE COLLAR guy who’s scrappy. Can get to the second level on running plays and holds his own in pass protection. Isn’t a great athlete, but gets the job done."

I'm hesitant taking that many Nittany Lions especiall Poz. Also DeOssie's stock is rising day by day and could see him landing to some team with a compensation pick at the end of day 1. I'm weary of DTs from Ohio State after Kenny Peterson and Tim Anderson bombed after being 3rd Round picks respectively, not to mention ESPN the magazine's draft guide has him as being a potential bust due to lack of speed. Also, I'd reverse Shaw and Blades order as don't expect Blades to be there that late in the draft.

I'm a big fan of Blades and would be happy getting him with one of our 3rd round picks.

He reminds me of Fletch and he has the "warrior mentality" that Fletch is known for.

He's definitely the kind of guy Marv wants on this football team.

i like the idea of drafting multiple quality players from one school. especially if theyve played together in a successful unit. see: Whitner-Youboty...

3 guys (being 2 LBs and a RB) from Penn, especially at those positions, could be do-able.

I didn't consider school at all when making this list. These are the guys who are referred to as "blue collar". If I was making an all-SEC draft, or the fastest players at each pick, or players who know what snow is, the list might be different.

I didn't consider school at all when making this list. These are the guys who are referred to as "blue collar". If I was making an all-SEC draft, or the fastest players at each pick, or players who know what snow is, the list might be different.

i didnt mean you did. i was speaking about liking the idea in general... it was more in response to the comment 2 above mine