Interesting Read on Polian's Moves/NonMoves This Offseason

Nanker

Interesting Read on Polian's Moves/NonMoves This Offseason by, of all people, Pete Prisco.

It's suggested reading for the white-knuckle teeth-gnashing Marv watchers who don't understand how a football team is built:

:devil: <=== Yes, it is the Linky. Just click it. You will humor me by doing so. :D

I realize most won't click the linky and as it's actually three pages long, most won't bother to read that as the need for instant gratification is so urgent. So in the public service modality of providing handicapped parking spaces - here are a few excerpts:

"Pick up most any magazine or hit any of the NFL writers on the web these days and you'll see a similar message being sent by most: The Indianapolis Colts have had a terrible offseason, so much that they might not be the favorites to repeat.

That's absurd.

In this week's Sports Illustrated, there was an article raving about what the New England Patriots had done during free-agency -- essentially stamping them for a trip to the Super Bowl -- and in the context of that story, the Colts were slapped around for doing nothing and losing players.

If you know the way president Bill Polian does business, you know he hasn't lost anything that he can't afford. Say what you want about Polian. He's feisty, can be downright obnoxious at times -- he has lit into me in the past -- but he's a heck of a football man.

The more I watch him handle his team, the more I come to respect what he does. Maybe this is why: We have similar approaches to the game.

He knows free-agency isn't the end-all, be-all. He knows the draft is how you build a team. He knows a throwing offense keyed by a franchise passer is the way to go.

And he hires good people to make it all work.

(This)... is about the perception the Colts have suffered too many losses and added nobody.

A year ago, Polian was blistered for allowing Edgerrin James to leave. Polian told me shortly after that it was one of the toughest decisions he has had to make. He loved the kid. But from a football standpoint, it made sense, he said."

The article goes on to describe how the Master GM who so many wish back in Buffalo - or wish our tottering old GM would emulate has done this year in the offseason:

1. Key Players Lost to Free Agency
  2. Running Back Dominic Rhodes - UFA signed with Raiders
  3. Cornerback Nick Harper - wanted him but couldn't afford him so we went to the Thumbtacks
  4. Linebacker Cato June - Polian "will let him go. (unlike Tom Donahoe) He simply won't pay them big-money deals"
  5. Wide Receiver Brandon Stokley turns 31 in June and #3 receiver in a two TE offense
  6. Defensive Tackle Montae Reagor - car accident ended his season after the fifth game. He now plays for Philly.

A similar list of players Marv's let go:

Willis McGahee

Nate Clements

London Fletcher-Baker, TKO?

(Last Year) Eric Moulds, Sam Adams, Lawyer Milloy

One of my points is you don't build a team in Free Agency. TD's legacy proves that. The other is you learn by watching successful people. No one can argue that Polian isn't successful. I find it interesting that Marv's philosophical approach to buiding his team is so similar to Polian's. They like the same kind of players and value them alike. If that's not in concert with your views as a fan - too bad. Marv's going about methodically building his team according to his vision.

So a few questions for the Hot Pocket's crowd. Where is this magical warehouse of proven, gifted NFL veteran players that Marv's supposed to go shopping at with Ralph's corporate Amex card to fill our every aching need? Just who is on that list and what would they cost?

Names anyone?

great post, Nanker

I wish I could say that my cynicism could finally limit my amazement / shock at how worshiped belicek is and how reviled Levy is

Your points about Polian are valid and once you pointed it out, the comparision between Marv's moves the past two years and Polians do come out.

The recent Patriot moves have been, without question, declared as Godlike and the rest of the league might as well give the Lombardi Trophy to New England right now.

And yet, this past offseason's move contradict the kind of moves New England made prior to the three SB wins. The Patsies have spent gobs of money on some good but some questionable players. They have borrowed from the future to pay for today. They have actually LIMITED their depth while increasingly their injury risks (older players). Is this the formula for success?

It is unclear if the Bills overpaid for Dockery/Walker/Whittle. I highly doubt the McGahee trade was bad for Buffalo (regardless of how the "experts" have reamed the Bills for the trade - I wonder sometimes how many games the "experts" actually watch or are they just stupid?.

In any event, last year the Bills played much better than the year before while facing the toughest schedule in the entire league. It is possible, JP will be determined to be the best QB drafted in 2004 (not Manning, not Rivers, and not Roethlesberger). Last year's Bills draft MAY be the best draft the Bills have had in 20 years. Again, it remains to be seen but so far it looks like it was beyond fantastic. All this makes me give Marv the benefit of the doubt - if he thinks the three OL signed are worth it, if his 2006 draft is indicative of the skills he has in evaluating rookie talent then he has my support.

screw the experts. what skilll have they shown?

-RnJ

screw the experts critics. what skilll have they shown?

Fixed it for you, Rich.

This thread hits the nail on the head. The plan for this matched pair of old codgers has worked in the past, works now, and will work in the future. Teams who rely on bringing in Names to win games for them... lose. Watch as the Pats' defense falls apart this season.

Fixed it for you, Rich.

This thread hits the nail on the head. The plan for this matched pair of old codgers has worked in the past, works now, and will work in the future. Teams who rely on bringing in Names to win games for them... lose. Watch as the Pats' defense falls apart this season.

Thanks! :devil:

I am cautiously optimistic about the upcoming season.

Can you remember the last time the Bills had an offensive line that other teams FEARED?

Unless you were watching the game in utero - you had better be at least 30 years old!

Maybe this will be a first for a lot of the "young" Bills fans.

(young in quote since my definition of this term seems to be changing. I wonder why....)

Aging in Joisy,

RnJ

Thanks! :devil:

I am cautiously optimistic about the upcoming season.

Can you remember the last time the Bills had an offensive line that other teams FEARED?

Unless you were watching the game in utero - you had better be at least 30 years old!

Maybe this will be a first for a lot of the "young" Bills fans.

(young in quote since my definition of this term seems to be changing. I wonder why....)

Aging in Joisy,

RnJ

1) I'd say that was circa 1993. And for all the recent UFA signing, we had better learn the lesson and keep drafting at least one OL a year.

2) Close enough to 30. The University of College Basketball was a while ago now. Fan since 5th grade (one side of the family in WNY).

Dockery, Walker and to lesser extent Wittle are free agents. Offensive line for Bills was offensive. In addition o-line is hardest to fill QUICKLY ( save QB) via draft. Thus Marv filled them through free agency.

. Linebacker and corner are reaction positions perfectly suited for high draft choices. The easiest of all positions to fill via draft is running back.

My favorite choice is Brian Leonard of Rutgers. He is a "3 fer". Runner, blocker, receiver- on any down!

He let go Rhodes but has a #1 Pick and starter and better player still there.

He let go of Harper but he was one of the lesser starters on their defense not the best player.

He let go of Stokely and Reagor who they clearly didnt need as they basically won the SB without them.

Only Cato June is applicable here. I don't think there is any comparison to what the Colts did and lost to what the Bills did.

great post nanker.......also last season and even now people act and accused marv of having no drafting skills as a gm.granted marv was is a rookie gm,but he was in the war room with bill polian and john butler all those years.i know marv even got the player he wanted a few times.i think the story of how the bills drafted shane conlan comes to mind.go marv and go bills in"07

He let go Rhodes but has a #1 Pick and starter and better player still there.

He let go of Harper but he was one of the lesser starters on their defense not the best player.

He let go of Stokely and Reagor who they clearly didnt need as they basically won the SB without them.

Only Cato June is applicable here. I don't think there is any comparison to what the Colts did and lost to what the Bills did.

KtFaBD, it's not the players per se that I'm looking at, it's the process. Compare if you will their systemized evaluations of each player's ROI. It's clinical. Marv didn't blurt out names at his end of year press conference, but he told us flat out who was on thin ice and likely gone.

Marv's taken a lot of heat for some of the things he's done - or more aptly - not done because the critics (mostly) look for big name FA players or Draft-Pickcicles they drool over to fill the holes left by tail lights. Marv's been ditching the higher priced help quicker than a sale of out-of-date chicken at Loblaws. He's taking a measured approach to restocking the team with a prime emphasis on The Draft.

RB, LB and WR are very deep in this draft. I'll predict we take AP if he's there. We might take Willis if he's there - depending on what kind of pick we get for TKO when that deal goes down. I can also see Marv trading down and picking Poz late in the First. He's Marv's kind of guy. That will yield additional picks.

This team isn't going to the SB this season. But the groundwork for that was laid last year and the frame is going up now.

Interesting Read on Polian's Moves/NonMoves This Offseason by, of all people, Pete Prisco.

It's suggested reading for the white-knuckle teeth-gnashing Marv watchers who don't understand how a football team is built:

:D <=== Yes, it is the Linky. Just click it. You will humor me by doing so. ;)

I realize most won't click the linky and as it's actually three pages long, most won't bother to read that as the need for instant gratification is so urgent. So in the public service modality of providing handicapped parking spaces - here are a few excerpts:

"Pick up most any magazine or hit any of the NFL writers on the web these days and you'll see a similar message being sent by most: The Indianapolis Colts have had a terrible offseason, so much that they might not be the favorites to repeat.

That's absurd.

In this week's Sports Illustrated, there was an article raving about what the New England Patriots had done during free-agency -- essentially stamping them for a trip to the Super Bowl -- and in the context of that story, the Colts were slapped around for doing nothing and losing players.

If you know the way president Bill Polian does business, you know he hasn't lost anything that he can't afford. Say what you want about Polian. He's feisty, can be downright obnoxious at times -- he has lit into me in the past -- but he's a heck of a football man.

The more I watch him handle his team, the more I come to respect what he does. Maybe this is why: We have similar approaches to the game.

He knows free-agency isn't the end-all, be-all. He knows the draft is how you build a team. He knows a throwing offense keyed by a franchise passer is the way to go.

And he hires good people to make it all work.

(This)... is about the perception the Colts have suffered too many losses and added nobody.

A year ago, Polian was blistered for allowing Edgerrin James to leave. Polian told me shortly after that it was one of the toughest decisions he has had to make. He loved the kid. But from a football standpoint, it made sense, he said."

The article goes on to describe how the Master GM who so many wish back in Buffalo - or wish our tottering old GM would emulate has done this year in the offseason:

1. Key Players Lost to Free Agency
  2. Running Back Dominic Rhodes - UFA signed with Raiders
  3. Cornerback Nick Harper - wanted him but couldn't afford him so we went to the Thumbtacks
  4. Linebacker Cato June - Polian "will let him go. (unlike Tom Donahoe) He simply won't pay them big-money deals"
  5. Wide Receiver Brandon Stokley turns 31 in June and #3 receiver in a two TE offense
  6. Defensive Tackle Montae Reagor - car accident ended his season after the fifth game. He now plays for Philly.

A similar list of players Marv's let go:

Willis McGahee

Nate Clements

London Fletcher-Baker, TKO?

(Last Year) Eric Moulds, Sam Adams, Lawyer Milloy

One of my points is you don't build a team in Free Agency. TD's legacy proves that. The other is you learn by watching successful people. No one can argue that Polian isn't successful. I find it interesting that Marv's philosophical approach to buiding his team is so similar to Polian's. They like the same kind of players and value them alike. If that's not in concert with your views as a fan - too bad. Marv's going about methodically building his team according to his vision.

So a few questions for the Hot Pocket's crowd. Where is this magical warehouse of proven, gifted NFL veteran players that Marv's supposed to go shopping at with Ralph's corporate Amex card to fill our every aching need? Just who is on that list and what would they cost?

Names anyone?

Great post :devil: It puts things in the proper perspective.