Now Glad We Dodged this Bullet....

MattM

yeah but if Marv took him last year....the wall would down everyday with people saying what a bad pick he was. We got MAJOR production out of Whitner and he will even be better this year. I wasn't a big fan of the pick at the time but have come full circle. We don't need Bunk's type of "character" on this team. In Marv I trust.

If the guy performs this year, absolutely no one will remember last year. This doesn't strike me as that big of a bullet. If he becomes a Mike Williams the next two years, then yes, I agree.

But after one year?

You're 100% right but its still something to look at. Last year many expected us to take him and have him in the starting line up last year. It turns out he didn't do that in Philly in his first year and as of right now you can only look at that. This article has given me a little more confidence in Marv.

yeah but if Marv took him last year....the wall would down everyday with people saying what a bad pick he was. We got MAJOR production out of Whitner and he will even be better this year. I wasn't a big fan of the pick at the time but have come full circle. We don't need Bunk's type of "character" on this team. In Marv I trust.

I agree with you on the Whitner part of the post and I'm glad Marv passed on BB (at least I'm glad for now), But, in that article, Bunkley doesn't seem like a low character guy, really. It sounds like he was a guy who was unprepared for the NFL...not prepared in the football sense or in the maturity sense, perhaps.

But, it sounds like he's a pretty good guy who recognizes and ADMITS TO his shortcomings and is working on them. He may not have been a Marv guy coming out of the draft...but he just might be one by the time he's a FA.

If the guy performs this year, absolutely no one will remember last year. This doesn't strike me as that big of a bullet. If he becomes a Mike Williams the next two years, then yes, I agree.

But after one year?

Exactly! I guess most NFL fans today are like the ones on this board who thinks that players should come in day one and dominate; that just isn't the case in most instances. He was picked 14, not number 1! I mean if he gets his technique downpack he could be a Pro Bowler the next few years. I guess if this board was up in 85-87 and everything was as hightech as it is today where we can read so many articles from so many so called experts many would be labeling Bruce Smith as a bust as well as he didn't come in and get 10 plus sacks his rookie season!

This interview was on the local Comcast Sports feed out of Philly. No linky available - you gots to be a cable subscriber and no, I didn't tape/DVR it for ya's. BB is a large man, and reminded me a bit of old Mike Williams - as to his easy-going nature. He fubbed up his first year and admitted as much. It took MW four years and a kick in the nads to fess up to being a Low Motor kind of guy.

The jury's out on BB. If he doesn't have a decent year this year, you'll be hearing a lot more "bust" labels being applied to him. But he does seem dedicated to turning around his career.

The ball's in his court, so to speak.

By the way, the Iggles got just about the same amount of production last year out of him that we got out of McCargo.

I felt at the time last year that the Eagles had "our" (TSW's) draft.

TSW'ers--myself included--extolled the virtues of

DT Brodrick Bunkley

OT Winston Justice

OLB Chris Gocong

OG Max Jean-Gilles

and RB Ryan Moats the year before.

I think Philly's mistake all along has been their undersized defensive front. I'd be watching the Eagles again this year to fix that, either in an early d-line pick or 2 picks later on in the Justin Harrell, Marcus Thomas, Antonio Johnson size.

I am with you, but there are still all kinds of posts on this board knocking Whitners play last year,& Marvs drafting him. Some people are IDIOTS.

I am with you, but there are still all kinds of posts on this board knocking Whitners play last year,& Marvs drafting him. Some people are IDIOTS.

Your statement is true of every online bulletin board. <_<

Whitner played well and did NOTHING to embarrass himself last season.

I felt at the time last year that the Eagles had "our" (TSW's) draft.

TSW'ers--myself included--extolled the virtues of

DT Brodrick Bunkley

OT Winston Justice

OLB Chris Gocong

OG Max Jean-Gilles

and RB Ryan Moats the year before.

I think Philly's mistake all along has been their undersized defensive front. I'd be watching the Eagles again this year to fix that, either in an early d-line pick or 2 picks later on in the Justin Harrell, Marcus Thomas, Antonio Johnson size.

That's interesting.

For me it was the JESTS. Hands down.

1 OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson

1 C Nick Mangold

2 QB Kellen Clemens

3 ILB Anthony Schlegel

3 S Eric Smith

4 QB Brad Smith

4 RB Leon Washington

5 TE Jason Pociask

6 CB Drew Coleman

7 DT Titus Adams

First off - trades brought them two round one picks, two threes and two fours. That's a lotta picks on the first day. A LOT of people here wanted Marv to trade down with the same scenario that the Jests used. Let's just say it heightened the frustration level here of many last year.

With that draft they got huge immediate improvements to their OL - although the way they played, Mangold could have been taken first. Unfortunately for us he's a great replacement for Mahwae - who Parcells brought in specifically to handle Ted Washington btw.

Two QBs - nice for grooming over time, a LB and two DBs and a DLineman and a RB for cheap in the later rounds. <_<

That was good work by Bradway. That coupled with an amazing recovery by Pennington and Mangini looking more like Mangenious than the Mangina I thought he would be made for a very productive season for Gangrene. :thumbsup:

Now I'm not saying Marv screwed the pooch last year and generally speaking I'm very pleased with the year most of his draftees had, and yes their future looks bright. But, it's hard to look at what the JESTS did and not think they're building a-la the NewenGland method. That's not especially good news for the boys in Red, White and Blue in Western New York and their fans.

Yeah, I am very glad that Bunkley and Justice didn't enter Marv's mind like they entered the board here. We were not going to take a QB, so Ngata was the only real option that would have been considered that we might like better than Dante.

But if we had taken Ngata at #8, the next SS option was Roman Harper at #43 who played pretty well for NO before tearing his ACL in week 5. So Ngata/Harper and still having the extra pick we gave up to move up for McCargo or Dante/McCargo.

Too soon to tell right now, but just about as happy with our draft now as I was stunned last year when Whitner was announced. Might not have been the perfect draft, but they never are. I think you can only rate our draft as very good or better, and if Youboty and McCargo can have the year 2 upside we hope for it will really go down as an excellent draft.

So who is this year's Bunkley that we are spending lots of time talking about but will be a dud for someone else in the end? And is there a Whitner this year who goes from off the radar screen to a possible pick at #12?

Yeah, I am very glad that Bunkley and Justice didn't enter Marv's mind like they entered the board here. We were not going to take a QB, so Ngata was the only real option that would have been considered that we might like better than Dante.

But if we had taken Ngata at #8, the next SS option was Roman Harper at #43 who played pretty well for NO before tearing his ACL in week 5. So Ngata/Harper and still having the extra pick we gave up to move up for McCargo or Dante/McCargo.

Too soon to tell right now, but just about as happy with our draft now as I was stunned last year when Whitner was announced. Might not have been the perfect draft, but they never are. I think you can only rate our draft as very good or better, and if Youboty and McCargo can have the year 2 upside we hope for it will really go down as an excellent draft.

So who is this year's Bunkley that we are spending lots of time talking about but will be a dud for someone else in the end? And is there a Whitner this year who goes from off the radar screen to a possible pick at #12?

Agreed.

Brady Quinn

Paul Posluszny

That's interesting.

For me it was the JESTS. Hands down.

1 OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson

1 C Nick Mangold

2 QB Kellen Clemens

3 ILB Anthony Schlegel

3 S Eric Smith

4 QB Brad Smith

4 RB Leon Washington

5 TE Jason Pociask

6 CB Drew Coleman

7 DT Titus Adams

First off - trades brought them two round one picks, two threes and two fours. That's a lotta picks on the first day. A LOT of people here wanted Marv to trade down with the same scenario that the Jests used. Let's just say it heightened the frustration level here of many last year.

With that draft they got huge immediate improvements to their OL - although the way they played, Mangold could have been taken first. Unfortunately for us he's a great replacement for Mahwae - who Parcells brought in specifically to handle Ted Washington btw.

Two QBs - nice for grooming over time, a LB and two DBs and a DLineman and a RB for cheap in the later rounds. :devil:

That was good work by Bradway. That coupled with an amazing recovery by Pennington and Mangini looking more like Mangenious than the Mangina I thought he would be made for a very productive season for Gangrene. :D

Now I'm not saying Marv screwed the pooch last year and generally speaking I'm very pleased with the year most of his draftees had, and yes their future looks bright. But, it's hard to look at what the JESTS did and not think they're building a-la the NewenGland method. That's not especially good news for the boys in Red, White and Blue in Western New York and their fans.

D'Brick was overrated. I am glad the Bills did not end up taking him. Schobel ate him up in there meeting in the Meadowlands last year. He looked like he hadn't a clue. I like Peters a whole lot better at left tackle.

Don't worry about the Jests, as long as they pop gun shooting Pennington, they aren't going anywhere. GO BILLS