Now Glad We Dodged this Bullet....

MattM

Before we all get into a big circle jerk over Whitner there's a guy named Ngata that started all 16 games for a Baltimore D that was 2nd in the league against the run and 1st in total D. Whitner played very well last year but in order to justify that pick on a safety he has to dominate.

Before we all get into a big circle jerk over Whitner there's a guy named Ngata that started all 16 games for a Baltimore D that was 2nd in the league against the run and 1st in total D. Whitner played very well last year but in order to justify that pick on a safety he has to dominate.
He plays in a defense surrounded by probowl type players, which tend to make even average players look better. He is also on a defense unlike the one the Bills employ. There is no telling how good he would have done in Buffalo on that subpar defense of last year. You said yourself the Ravens were 1st in D last year. How far do they drop without Ngata? 2nd, 3rd, 23 who knows. Last year Whitner was rated the #1 safety, and 1st round pick by Pro Football Weekly. He also started all 16 games. We will have to wait to see who has the better career.Last year safety was not the sexy pick, this year on NFL network, & on ESPN I have heard a number of talking heads say safety is a position which will receive a greater priority than in the past.

I always wanted Ngata instead of Bunkley. Bunkley was great in the combine and thats all.

I concur, Ngata played quite well for the Ravens this year.

I don't buy all the hype about Whitner, he made a bunch of tackles and grabbed an easy pick against the Pats on opening day but other than that he didn't seem to be too helpful in run support (which ultimately is the DL and the LB fault) and overall I think Ko Simpson played much better than Whitner. Ko Simpson is probably the best tackler on the team at this point.

Whitner still has massive potential and I expect him to be great at some point but most people drool all over him because he made a bunch of tackles..

but mort and kiper thought we should have taken bunkley over donte. and their never wrong on draft day :devil:

Maybe one of us can make a nice career out of analyzing the analysts. Just apply a little hindsight to all the projections made by Kiper and others, give them a score card, show the boom and bust players after a 2-3 years in the league. Some network will love this.