Upcoming NFL meeting tidbits

"The eight-member NFL Competition Committee, which includes Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, will make several proposed rules changes to ownership next week at the annual league meeting in Phoenix.

Bengals president Mike Brown, who has one of the 32 team votes, likes some of the proposals.

As for others, "we have never been for instant replay," Brown said Wednesday afternoon, shortly after the NFL made the meeting agenda public. "I will vote against it, in full expectation it will be made permanent."

I hope he tells Marvin that he should not challenge any plays since the Bengals don't like instant replay.

"The eight-member NFL Competition Committee, which includes Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, will make several proposed rules changes to ownership next week at the annual league meeting in Phoenix.

Bengals president Mike Brown, who has one of the 32 team votes, likes some of the proposals.

As for others, "we have never been for instant replay," Brown said Wednesday afternoon, shortly after the NFL made the meeting agenda public. "I will vote against it, in full expectation it will be made permanent."

I hope he tells Marvin that he should not challenge any plays since the Bengals don't like instant replay.

Kicking off from the 35 sounds like a fair thing to me. They're also going to vote about more revenue sharing for teams like the Bills. Vote "Yes" you rich b@st@rds!!

May as well...Marvin's challenges are pretty poor...or non-existent. <_<

I never understood Brown's opposition...unless somehow it costs him money.

Moving the kickoff from the 30-yard line to the 35 in overtime in an effort to reverse the trend of the team receiving the kickoff winning. Teams receiving the kickoff in overtime have won 63 percent of games since 1994, when the kickoff was moved up to the 30. From 1974-93, when the kickoff was at the 35-yard line, the kickoff team and receiving team in overtime each won an equal percentage of overtime games, McKay said.

Somehow, I think there may be other things that have led to such a change in %....

Maybe the fact that the rules have been bent over backwards in favor of the offense side of the game?!!?

Moving the kickoff back will do nothing to change the fact that CBs aren't allowed to look at WRs w/o getting a 15- or spot-of-contact penalty. And why have such a rule exclusive to OT? Make a consistent change or none at all.

If the NFL wants to truly make OT even-handed, it would adopt the college OT system. They keep meddling with things to no effect, and so, if you want to win in OT, you need to get lucky on the coin toss.

I can't wait until I'm on the rules committee:

- Create a 5 yard Late Hit penalty. Nothing more ridiculous than a drive changing 15 yard penalty because a 300 lb man running full speed couldn't stop on a dime when the RB ducks out of bounds. There are some flagrant hits that deserve the 15, but most are just ticky-tack BS penalties. It's a rough game! Hits happen.

- I say let players spike the football all they want after a play. But then give them 3 seconds to personally retrieve the ball from wherever it landed and hand it to the referee for the next play. Any delay past there is a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty. You wanna look like a hot dog after a non-scoring play, then go fetch the ball champ.

- QBs are football players too. They wear pads. They have helmets. Some of them are bigger than defensive ends. They can take hits like the rest of the men on the field.

- Offensive facemask penalty. So defenders can't even graze the running back's helmet without a flag coming out, but Willis McGahee and Ricky Williams can basically twist off a DBs head like a bottle cap if they feel like it? Bullsht. If the purpose is to avoid injury, then call it both ways.

As far as OT goes, I have a very simple solution, a solution that I have been talking about for years.

Play the Overtime period like a regular quarter, without the sudden death rule happening instantly.

Instead, after the coin toss, one team will receive the ball via kickoff, just like the start of the game.

If the team scores on that opening drive, then they must kickoff to the opposing team so that they will have a chance to score as well.

If that team scores to tie the game, then play continues under sudden death rules.

So to summarize, play the OT period like a regular quarter. Both teams get one chance to score, if they both succed or fail, then you apply sudden death rules.

Simple enough, right?

Maybe they should finally put in a rule to have the same number of cameras present at every freaking game. Why some games (read: night games and playoff games) get more cameras is beyond me when the money flowing around is at such ridiculous levels.