Bryce Paup gets a coaching gig

Ah the official poster boy for high motor white men.

No offense to Paup, a good guy by all accounts, but, to me, he is one of the most overrated Bills players in recent history. Can't argue with his production, but, playing with Bruce Smith and Reggie White for the majority of his career couldn't have hurt anything!

No offense to Paup, a good guy by all accounts, but, to me, he is one of the most overrated Bills players in recent history. Can't argue with his production, but, playing with Bruce Smith and Reggie White for the majority of his career couldn't have hurt anything!

Yup. Bruce and Reggie we're doubled most of their playing days. Which definetly helped him and his stats. God I miss Bruce.....

Yup. Bruce and Reggie we're doubled most of their playing days. Which definetly helped him and his stats. God I miss Bruce.....

If he was so overrated and benefited soley from double teams on Bruce and Reggie, why weren't the players that preceeded him at his postion as effective as he was? He won a defensive NFL def. MVP award. Paup was the ideal 3-4 ss linebacker. The Bills got optimal performance from him because they needed the exact skills he brought to the table. So, I don't understand why he is overrated. He wan't as effective in GB or Jax as he was with the Bills only because of coming off a groin injury plus their defenses were set up differently and they asked him to do things he didn't excell at nor was comfortable with. He was a 'close to line of scrimmage LB' that was very strong against the run and could 'bring it' bigtime off the edge. He was very unique... but very limited and one dimensional... but still couldn't be stopped as a Bill. The only thing that did him in was tearing his groin muscle. That totally ruined his explosiveness. He was what he was... and plugged in like the Bills had him he was outstanding, not overrated.

If he was so overrated and benefited soley from double teams on Bruce and Reggie, why weren't the players that preceeded him at his postion as effective as he was? He won a defensive NFL def. MVP award. Paup was the ideal 3-4 ss linebacker. The Bills got optimal performance from him because they needed the exact skills he brought to the table. So, I don't understand why he is overrated. He wan't as effective in GB or Jax as he was with the Bills only because of coming off a groin injury plus their defenses were set up differently and they asked him to do things he didn't excell at nor was comfortable with. He was a 'close to line of scrimmage LB' that was very strong against the run and could 'bring it' bigtime off the edge. He was very unique... but very limited and one dimensional... but still couldn't be stopped as a Bill. The only thing that did him in was tearing his groin muscle. That totally ruined his explosiveness. He was what he was... and plugged in like the Bills had him he was outstanding, not overrated.

Maybe you are right, "overrated" was a bit harsh. Like I said, he was very productive (I won't argue that) for the Bills, and was coming on in Green Bay before that. I was just implying that his gaudy sack numbers were embelleshed, somewhat, by playing with Smith and White, the two premiere pass rushing defensive ends of the last 30 years. We don't know that another backer in the same spot, opposite Bruce Smith, wouldn't have done as well, because Paup was there, not somebody else. The year he won defensive MVP, you could have made a very good argument that Bruce Smith was almost as responsible for Paup's numbers, as Paup himself was.

Theres few things I enjoy seeing more at the stadium than someone in a bryce paup jersey.

I have been wearing that jersey since 1996. It still hangs in my closet and gets worn on the occasional game day when I feel we really need to bring out some of that old magic. He was one bad ass coming off of the edge.

I'll never forget that Sunday night game in 95 against the 49ers where Bruce and Paup combined for 5 sacks. Young was running for his life, Bruce was chucking around Niners linemen like dolls, and our mini Mad Stork Paup hurtling around the edge. Fantastic. If Darick Holmes only gets in...

I have been wearing that jersey since 1996. It still hangs in my closet and gets worn on the occasional game day when I feel we really need to bring out some of that old magic. He was one bad ass coming off of the edge.

I got a Joe Cribbs and a Chris Spielman jersey for the same reasons!

Paup was unstoppable in wade Phillip's 3-4 defense. To bad he ripped his pectoral muscle doing heavy incline bench presses in the off season that ended his career.

Paup was excellent in Buffalo! <_<

Please let me take the opportunity to attempt to hijack this thread:

On a regular basis, some brain-dead moron suggests Jim Kelly as a candidate for either Head Coach or Offensive Coordinator or QB coach (or GOD).

If Kelly had ANY intention (or business) of being an NFL coach he'd take a HS (or college) coaching job. THAT'S how you get into the coaching profession.

Good for Bryce!

Amen

Amen

Paup was "overrated" the same way Brady is "overrated". Both are/were PERFECT for what they are/were asked to do.

To deny they do/did what they do/did at a VERY high level is crazy. To suggest either is/was the best at their position, is just as crazy.

Paup was a great addition at that time. I remember him playing real well in the playoff game against Pittsburgh, but that was the game that Bruce Smith missed due to the flu. Had we had them both that game we probably would have advanced.