thnigs i think i know and what does that mean for the Bills

1. There are few great Running Backs- most of a running game's success is directly related to the o-line. it is a also a position where the career is short. it does not make sense to draft high: this means the Bills will wait till Round 2 or 3 to draft a RB

2. Corner Back is not as important as Safety in the Cover 2. the corner is needed for run support and the short zone as does not need to be a 'lockdown' corner: no 1st round CB for the Bills

3. You need to be strong up the middle to play the cover 2. based on last year's dismal run defense the Bills need is at NT and MLB. is John McCargo ready- who knows. can Spikes come back-?: Marv's opinion on this dictates if we draft Okaye or Willis. Branch's poor work habits makes me think we will pass.

3. You need to be strong up the middle to play the cover 2. based on last year's dismal run defense the Bills need is at NT and MLB. is John McCargo ready- who knows. can Spikes come back-?: Marv's opinion on this dictates if we draft Okaye or Willis. Branch's poor work habits makes me think we will pass.

IF either of them are there at 12

4. is neither are there than a trade down to grab best available players of need based on trade down position

thanks- that was part of my thought process that did not make it into the post

The Bills need some gamechanging playmakers on offense. Right now we do not have many other than Lee. If Adrian Peterson is off the board when we pick, I think we take Marshawn Lynch or trade down a few picks and hopefully take him at 15 or 16 depending on what the teams directly behind us need. (Green Bay needs a running back big time)

I think the Bills would be happy going into the season with a defense that is above average to the decent range. What I think they really want to improve on is there offense. If we get the offense in high gear, (which will happen with a more experienced JP) we can win a lot games with an above average defense. And of course our great special teams.

I would not be suprised if we drafted another receiver and/or tight end in the first three rounds. I think Marv is playing possum, and will have some big suprises come draft day. Adding Lynch, and another big time receiver very well could happen despite our needs on D. Remember, we can still draft a first day DL and LB, in addition to getting Lynch and another downfield threat.

1. There are few great Running Backs- most of a running game's success is directly related to the o-line. it is a also a position where the career is short. it does not make sense to draft high: this means the Bills will wait till Round 2 or 3 to draft a RB

2. Corner Back is not as important as Safety in the Cover 2. the corner is needed for run support and the short zone as does not need to be a 'lockdown' corner: no 1st round CB for the Bills

This is Bob. Bob has B word breasts. Sorry I couldn't resist.

A quick scan of some stats shows that if you do want a great back then you do want to draft them in the first round. Of all the players that have rushed for over 10000 yards only 5 of them were drafted out of the 1st round: Thurman, Corey Dillon, Ricky Watters <_< , Tiki Barber, and Curtis Martin. It's not concrete evidence, but its gotta mean something.

4. is neither are there than a trade down to grab best available players of need based on trade down position

thanks- that was part of my thought process that did not make it into the post

Just want to make clear for the thousandth time a draft position change HAS TO BE INITIATED BY THE TEAM IN THE LOWER POSITION, NOT THE HIGHER. So, in most cases, #4 is NOT an option.

A quick scan of some stats shows that if you do want a great back then you do want to draft them in the first round. Of all the players that have rushed for over 10000 yards only 5 of them were drafted out of the 1st round: Thurman, Corey Dillon, Ricky Watters <_< , Tiki Barber, and Curtis Martin. It's not concrete evidence, but its gotta mean something.

It would also seem reasonable to believe that if great Rbs are indeed rare, you should acquire one when given the opportunity as it may be a while before you have the chance again.

It would also seem reasonable to believe that if great Rbs are indeed rare, you should acquire one when given the opportunity as it may be a while before you have the chance again.

exacrly why the Bills took Antowaine Smith in the 1st round. <_<

you don't want to be passing up those Hall of FAme RBs.

Just want to make clear for the thousandth time a draft position change HAS TO BE INITIATED BY THE TEAM IN THE LOWER POSITION, NOT THE HIGHER. So, in most cases, #4 is NOT an option.

If this is true, and I'm hearing this for the first time, then I'm thinking it is a technicality that is fairly easy to circumvent.

The post was intended as a rebuttal to the original poster's contention that it doesn't make sense to draft a RB in R1. If one believes great RBs are rare, it certainly does make sense to do so if one also believes that the 1st round prospect in question would become a truly great RB. It becomes another matter entirely if one only expects that player to merely become good.

A Smith was drafted around the 23rd or 24th pick & he was about 40 years old when we drafted him.

If AD is there at 12, we better pick him unless some team throws us a kings ransom to trade down.

1. this means the Bills will wait till Round 2 or 3 to draft a RB

2. no 1st round CB for the Bills

3. based on last year's dismal run defense the Bills need is at NT and MLB.

Good post. <_< I think it's highly unlikely Marv drafts anything other than defense in the first round. Amobe or Willis or trade down if he thinks Willis or Pos will be available, if Amobe is already gone, then trade back into the bottom of the first round if TE Greg Olsen is still there. I know, I contradicted myself.

I posted a list of all the Super Bowl winners RB's. Almost all of them were 1st rounders, and some were from the days when the draft was half as long.

No one said EVERY 1st rounder is great. I posted a list of all the HoF backs, almost all were 1st rounders, same with the Super Bowl winners.

Now is the time to draft a 1st rounder, I just hope that the guys available are worth it.

No one said EVERY 1st rounder is great. I posted a list of all the HoF backs, almost all were 1st rounders, same with the Super Bowl winners.

Now is the time to draft a 1st rounder, I just hope that the guys available are worth it.

but since over 50% of them bust, why take the risk on a position with an average life of under 4 years if they are good.

but since over 50% of them bust, why take the risk on a position with an average life of under 4 years if they are good.

Because the odds are better than with a 2nd rounder.

Because you're trying to win the Super Bowl. Like I said, almost ALL the Super Bowl winners had #1's.Timing is also important. Right now they have Losman and Evans coming into their own. A back drafted now will start to peak right with these guys. Plus we have a nice high pick, next year we (hopefully) will be lower.

Probably won't work, might be a bust- Sure, teams around the league are building like this as well, obviously it might not work, but it is the best way. Look at past history.

The Bills biggest need is a starting runningback. Don't let the talk of "runningback by commitee" fool you, Marv is going to draft either Peterson or Lynch as the next great Bills franchise back. Doing anthing else would be getting too cute and will surely bite them in the butt.

The Bills would officially have one of the weakest running attacks in the league if they are left with Thomas in tandum with Irons, Hunt or Leonard. Luckily this won't happen.

The Bills biggest need is a starting runningback. Don't let the talk of "runningback by commitee" fool you, Marv is going to draft either Peterson or Lynch as the next great Bills franchise back. Doing anthing else would be getting too cute and will surely bite them in the butt.

The Bills would officially have one of the weakest running attacks in the league if they are left with Thomas in tandum with Irons, Hunt or Leonard. Luckily this won't happen.

Peterson or Lynch as the next franchise back...............BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peterson or Lynch as the next franchise back...............BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you guys still don't get it :worthy:

it's the o line stupid :thumbsup:

example: emmit smith got to all those pro bowls because his o line opened up holes the width of driveways

he wasn't touched til 5-6 yards past the line of scrimmage

they did not win super bowls because of emmit but people talk about him like he walked on water

the super bowls and emmit and the coke head receiver and gay cowboy troy were all products of that great o line

any back could have hit the jackpot behind that line and emmit would have sucked on 28 other teams in the league at that time because he was nothing special

fix the DT and/or MLB positon needs as first priority and get some young legs at RB at a cheaper price in round 2 or 3 :worthy: