Questions re Indy Car and Nascar

Peter

I am going to my first race this weekend. Growing up in Buffalo, my sporting interests were basically football, hockey, baseball, and basketball. I had no interest in car racing. I knew (and know) very little about it.

In any event, my wife is going out of town on business for a week. The Indy car race is down here in Miami (actually Homestead). I thought that it might be a fun thing to take my 4 and 1/2 year old son to the race. He is fascinated by the movie Cars and over the past few weeks we have watched portions of the NASCAR races in Mexico and Las Vegas. He seemed to like it and I thought it was pretty interesting.

In any event, to those of you who are fans, any words of wisdom?

Also, how loud are the Indy cars and the NASCAR cars? Which are louder?

I presume that I should get ear plugs for my son. Is that correct?

By the way, I purchased some paddock passes and we will be allowed to see the cars up close and perhaps meet some of the drivers during the day before the race.

Anyway, thanks for any comments or words of wisdom. Depending on how much we like it, I may get tickets to the Ford 400 which will be down here in November and, as I understand it, the last race of the season.

I am going to my first race this weekend. Growing up in Buffalo, my sporting interests were basically football, hockey, baseball, and basketball. I had no interest in car racing. I knew (and know) very little about it.

In any event, my wife is going out of town on business for a week. The Indy car race is down here in Miami (actually Homestead). I thought that it might be a fun thing to take my 4 and 1/2 year old son to the race. He is fascinated by the movie Cars and over the past few weeks we have watched portions of the NASCAR races in Mexico and Las Vegas. He seemed to like it and I thought it was pretty interesting.

By the way, I purchased some paddock passes and we will be allowed to see the cars up close and perhaps meet some of the drivers during the day before the race.

Anyway, thanks for any comments or words of wisdom. Depending on how much we like it, I may get tickets to the Ford 400 which will be down here in November and, as I understand it, the last race of the season.

I used to go to the Long Beach Grand Prix every year. Lived a couple of blocks from the track. It was tons of fun. Definately get ear plugs, especially for your son. Regarding paddock passes, I used to get in for free every year. It's amazing where you can go if you just walk in and act like you belong there.

BTW, spend some time dressing up your son. You didn't mention anything about your wife, and if she's not coming he'll be a definate chick magnet. Invest in some cool sunglasses for him. :unsure:

go with an open mind...i think seeing the race that close and in person shows you the intensity of the racing...the fact that these drivers are going that fast and that close to each other...i found it pretty freaking awesome...it may be too much for the 4.5 year old and he may get bored, so plan on taking in the whole scene, go to the garage area, hit the trailers outside and see the drivers stuff...i think you will enjoy it. btw, i have no point of reference in comparing the 2...i havent been to indy car racing only nascar

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. I think that we are going to have a good time. I noticed today that the race is on ESPN2. I plan on recording it for my son so that he can have it when he gets older.

P.S. No, my wife is not going and yes, my son is a chick magnate. It is completely amazing. If only he had been my wing man when I was single. :unsure: He has been that way since he was very young. The interesting thing is that even at a young age he always has had very good taste.

I've been to formula 1 several times and I recommend getting the ear plugs for yourself as well. There's nothing louder than an engine with that much acceleration with absolutely no sound padding around it hitting speeds of 220 mph.

Buy plugs for both you and your kid. NASCAR races are louder, but both types will be louder than any other sporting event you have been to, especially if you are sitting close to the track.

Both types of races are fun to go to, but NASCAR puts on a better "show".

Racing is like hockey, it's best experienced in person, rather than TV.

I'd recommend going to the Ford 400, a good time.

Been to Indy with both engine types, turbo (before) and carburated (now). Turbo cars had more of a whine, carburated cars have more of a rumble. Made the mistake last year not buying a pair for a $1. Not this year.

Remember the Offenhauser 4 cyl and the Novi V-8 motors from days of yore? ;)

I recall Andy Granatelli's STP jet turbine car. It led the field in hansom fashion, but broke down. The turbine motor was banned the next season.

Sidebar: In the late '60's somebody got hold of a Ford Indy V-8 normally-aspirated motor and stuck it into the NHRA C/Fuel dragster class (I think it was C).

It killed the competition - small-block Chevy's, Fords, MoPars - and the next season it was banned.

Unfortunately, I'm not quite that old. Although I have done some reading on the history and am aware of the jet turbine car.

Interesting side note. One of my very distant relatives drove in the inaugural 500. The next year qualified a car for the race then gave up the drivers seat to Eddie Rickenbauer.

Remember the Offenhauser 4 cyl and the Novi V-8 motors from days of yore? <_<

I recall Andy Granatelli's STP jet turbine car. It led the field in hansom fashion, but broke down. The turbine motor was banned the next season.

Sidebar: In the late '60's somebody got hold of a Ford Indy V-8 normally-aspirated motor and stuck it into the NHRA C/Fuel dragster class (I think it was C).

It killed the competition - small-block Chevy's, Fords, MoPars - and the next season it was banned.

I think the turbine car was required to restrict its air intake port, it made the car uncompetitive and other driving teams stopped using it. I think the l;ast person to use an Offy powered car in the Indy 500 was Jim Hurtibise from North Tonawanda, it was also the last front engine car that qualified at Indy.

Remember the Offenhauser 4 cyl and the Novi V-8 motors from days of yore? :P

Did I mention that my son "had" me (obviously his only choice for mechanic!) machine (perfectly legal in our rules... As long as you keep the tread the same width) his Pinewood Derby car wheels down to about 1-2 grams in weight (a raw BSA wheel is about 3.5 grams)... Again... Left the width of the tread intact, or else that would be cheating!

We took first for the kit and kapuddle... Pack, District... Noting could touch the car... Except for this snot nosed Webelo named Eliot that that came to within a nose during the final heat in the District... I think him and his father used the trick of heating the graphite/moly onto the nail axle... Such wise guys! <_<

And of course he raced with only 3 wheels rolling/touching the track...

:censored:

Did I mention that my son "had" me (obviously his only choice for mechanic!) machine (perfectly legal in our rules... As long as you keep the tread the same width) his Pinewood Derby car wheels down to about 1-2 grams in weight (a raw BSA wheel is about 3.5 grams)... Again... Left the width of the tread intact, or else that would be cheating!

We took first for the kit and kapuddle... Pack, District... Noting could touch the car... Except for this snot nosed Webelo named Eliot that that came to within a nose during the final heat in the District... I think him and his father used the trick of heating the graphite/moly onto the nail axle... Such wise guys! <_<

And of course he raced with only 3 wheels rolling/touching the track...

:P

Good going! And I actually know what a Webelo is. :censored:

I think the turbine car was required to restrict its air intake port, it made the car uncompetitive and other driving teams stopped using it. I think the l;ast person to use an Offy powered car in the Indy 500 was Jim Hurtibise from North Tonawanda, it was also the last front engine car that qualified at Indy.

Good memory re the turbine restriction!

I haven't heard mention of Hurtibise for years...