Saudi Woman gang raped by 7 men...

Tux of Borg

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,256980,00.html

Saudi Kidnap, Rape Victim Faces Lashing for 'Crime' of Being Alone With Man Not Related to Her

Tuesday , March 06, 2007

A 19-year-old Saudi woman who was kidnapped, beaten and gang raped by seven men who then took photos of their victim and threatened to kill her, was sentenced under the country's Islamic-based law to 90 lashes for the "crime" of being alone with a man not related to her.

The woman is appealing to Saudi King Abdullah to intervene in the controversial case.

"I ask the king to consider me as one of his own daughters and have mercy on me and set me free from the 90 lashes," the woman said in an emotional interview published Monday in the Saudi Gazette.

"I was shocked at the verdict. I couldn't believe my ears. Ninety lashes! Ninety lashes!" the woman, identified only as "G," told the English-language newspaper.

Five months after the harsh judgment, her sentence has yet to be carried out, "G" said she waits in fear every day for the phone call telling her to submit to authorities to carry out her punishment.

Lashes are usually spread over several days. About 50 lashes are given at a time.

The woman's ordeal began a year ago when she was blackmailed into meeting a man who threatened to tell her family they were having a relationship outside wedlock, which is illegal in the desert kingdom, according to a report in The Scotsman newspaper.

She met the man at a shopping mall and, after driving off together, the blackmailer's car was stopped by two other cars bearing men wielding knives and meat cleavers.

During the next three hours, the woman was raped 14 times by her seven captors.

One of the men took pictures of her naked with his mobile phone and threatened to blackmail her with them.

Back at home in a town near the eastern city of Qatif, the young woman did not tell her family of her ordeal. Nor did she inform the authorities, fearing the rapist would circulate the pictures of her naked. She also attempted suicide.

Five of the rapists were arrested and given jail terms ranging from 10 months to five years. The prosecutor had asked for the death penalty for the men.

The Saudi justice ministry, however, said rape could not be proved because there were no witnesses and the men had recanted confessions they made during interrogation.

The judges, basing their decision on Islamic law, also decided to sentence the woman and her original blackmailer to lashes for being alone together in his car.

You stay classy, Saudi Arabia.

hmmmm...and we invaded Iraq cuz Saddam was a barbarian? And how many of the actual 9/11 hijackers were Saudi and how many were Iraqi? And where did the funds to carry out the attacks come from? hmmmmm...

WTF does this have to do with Iraq?

Because Saddam as was jerk-off, there can't be any others in that region?

WTF does this have to do with Iraq?

Because Saddam as was jerk-off, there can't be any others in that region?

Perhaps he was saying it would have been okay if we attacked Saudi Arabia because they're not nice to woman?

hmmmm...and we invaded Iraq cuz Saddam was a barbarian? And how many of the actual 9/11 hijackers were Saudi and how many were Iraqi? And where did the funds to carry out the attacks come from? hmmmmm...

Yet again...no one can post a story like this without you taking a shot. Heaven forbid you could have an ounce of consideration for anything or anyone because you're so busy trying to make some ridiculous point that has absolutely, positively NOTHING to do with the story.

A woman is raped by seven men, but hey...let's use this topic to further discuss our left-wing talking points. After all, no one can use someone else's pain and misery to their advantage faster than a lib.

Perhaps he was saying it would have been okay if we attacked Saudi Arabia because they're not nice to woman?

Perhaps he's saying it would have been better if the 95 reasons drummed up to make invading Iraq seem OK didn't include human rights abuses and terrorism, given that a nation 'friendly' to our interests houses some of the worst.

Yet again...no one can post a story like this without you taking a shot. Heaven forbid you could have an ounce of consideration for anything or anyone because you're so busy trying to make some ridiculous point that has absolutely, positively NOTHING to do with the story.

A woman is raped by seven men, but hey...let's use this topic to further discuss our left-wing talking points. After all, no one can use someone else's pain and misery to their advantage faster than a lib.

I don't think this story was posted to be taken at face value, i.e. "wow, this happened, it was horrible." Horrible things happen every day. And they become politicized by each side. Some on the right will use it as justification for a policy that views Islam in general as a barbaric religion. Others on the left will use it to point out that we're pretty much going to remain silent on this one because SA is a partner for us, and question what the implications of this are.

So if you want it in the correct order:

1) Yes, this is terrible. Beyond terrible.

2) Men who would do such a thing are warped beyond belief.

3) People who are compelled to do horrible things will use whatever means to justify it, sanctify it, rationalize it: religious, legal or otherwise. Any history book can tell us that.

4) Why we'd want to support such people is beyond me.

Yes. God-forbid a discussion about a juicy piece of journalism such as this one gets sidetracked. :w00t:

The subject is gang rape. Let's stay focused people!

Yes. God-forbid a discussion about a juicy piece of journalism such as this one gets sidetracked. :w00t:

The subject is gang rape. Let's stay focused people!

The subject is actually the irony in convicting and beating a gang-rape victim because she shouldn't have been alone with a man who was not related to her.

Stay focused, indeed.

$8 a gallon gas, perhaps?

If you think the House of Saud sucks, you ought to look at the options of them being out of power.

I think all the options suck. I just think we shouldn't be kidding ourselves about who we're dealing with either. And as JSP says, who really wields the power?

I also think that the years of exercising our power to command $3-and-rising gas won't help us much in the long run.

"If you take out uncovered meat and place it outside on the street, or in the garden or in the park, or in the backyard without a cover, and the cats come and eat it...whose fault is it, the cats or the uncovered meat? The uncovered meat is the problem."

:devil:

"If you take out uncovered meat and place it outside on the street, or in the garden or in the park, or in the backyard without a cover, and the cats come and eat it...whose fault is it, the cats or the uncovered meat? The uncovered meat is the problem."

:unsure:

Personally, I liked his statement that...women are "weapons" used by "Satan" to control men.