I had to put my dog to sleep this week :-(

I have two basenji dogs.(they are the barkless dogs from Africa)

My oldest(Nigel),who is 17, became paralyzed this past October.

The vet didn't expect him to bounce back-but after 2 months of crate rest and me carrying him in and out and holding him each time he used the bathroom during this time- he was able to begin walking again.

Nigel was spirited through all of this and I had hopes I would have another summer with him.

Unfortunately, he took a turn for the worse this past week and I was forced to make a decision I have dreaded for many years.

He was a great dog....not very loyal....not very loving....

but extremely hard headed(I think it was made of cement), very independent and his spirit was indomitable!!

My new avatar is one of my favorite pictures of him.

Despite his bullheaded ways I loved him dearly, he was my buddy and I miss him so much!!!

-Nigel-

They say memories are golden

well maybe that is true.

I never wanted memories,

I only wanted you.

A million times I needed you,

a million times I cried.

If love alone could have saved you

you never would have died.

In life I loved you dearly,

In death I love you still.

In my heart you hold a place

no one could ever fill.

-Nigel passed away on March 12, 2007-

-at the age of 17-

Sorry to hear that man. Deepest sympathies. I recently lost my dog as well in september my 10 year old beagle to canine lymphoma. They become another member of your immediate family and it truly is heartbreaking when their times comes. Once again my deepest sympathies on your loss :D

Sorry to hear that. Deepest sympathies. I dread the day that my 14 year old beagle goes. People say that dogs don't have personalities or character, but i think that's bull sh--. They grow on you like a child, and its extremely hard when your child passes.

did you sit with him when the vet gave him the shot ????

the kids , wife , myself , and the vet who is a good friend of ours all cried as we sat with him as he went to sleep . bear was only 6 . we still keep him on the shelf .

I feel for your loss, over the years we hav had to say goodbye to some wonderful companions, it is never easy. I know it doesn't feel like it, but as the days go on, the pain will eventually pass. Hang tough

Very sorry for your loss. Last October I had to put my dog to sleep. She was 19, I had her since I was 6. She was spunky up until 3 months before we had to put her down. It's the hardest thing in the world to do. She was a great dog, loyal, smart, and loving. She always would lay under a willow tree in the summer time, so that is where I buried her.

did you sit with him when the vet gave him the shot ????

the kids , wife , myself , and the vet who is a good friend of ours all cried as we sat with him as he went to sleep . bear was only 6 . we still keep him on the shelf .

Yes-I held him in my arms when they gave him the shot.

The Vet warned me of possible body reactions he might go through etc. etc. I told them I don't care what he goes through-I love him and want him to feel my love and support right to the end.

He had no negative reaction, went very peacefully and I would recommend to anyone in that situation to stay with the pet they love.

I will keep his ashes...and when I die my younger sister knows to put them with mine.

Very sorry for your loss. Last October I had to put my dog to sleep. She was 19, I had her since I was 6. She was spunky up until 3 months before we had to put her down. It's the hardest thing in the world to do. She was a great dog, loyal, smart, and loving. She always would lay under a willow tree in the summer time, so that is where I buried her.

Thanks for your kind words.

The image of your dog under the willow tree is a beautiful one and I'm glad you have a special place to go to where you can feel her presence.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I wanted to get a basenji as the family pet but I was out voted in favor of a chihuahua. WWwhen you say he wan't very loyal what did that mean ? wasn't affectionate ? I still wish we got the basenji, these chihuahua's drive me nuts with the constant barking.

Very sorry man. My dog died almost two years ago and I posted about him (I remember you replying too about the pet loss poems :nana: ). We still have his ashes and I think we are going to spread them this spring. I completely understand about your wanting to be with him to the very end. My dog died two days before I was set to come home from school after graduation so I never got to say goodbye. In fact, it had been the longest amount of time I'd been away from him ever. It was crushing to know that I couldn't be there to hold on to him while they put him to sleep.

My deepest sympathies...enjoy the memories.

I wanted to get a basenji as the family pet but I was out voted in favor of a chihuahua. WWwhen you say he wan't very loyal what did that mean ? wasn't affectionate ? I still wish we got the basenji, these chihuahua's drive me nuts with the constant barking.

Chihuahuas aren't dogs, they are circus rats.

I'm sorry for your gain. Truly I am.

Sorry about your dog, Spacedude.

Loyalty and love were not Nigel's strengths.

He was a complete free spirit-who did things on his terms.

I don't think he made eye contact with me the first four years I had him.

He would not come when called( even if you were in the same room with him and nobody was watching)

He certainly wasn't a dog that would be at your feet in devotion(unless you had food)

He wouldn't chase a ball(unless you told someone he wouldn't- then he would)though he did love chasing cats, rabbits and deer.

He literally ate all of my furniture when he was younger(not to mention other peoples furniture)

He could not be walked on a leash or with a choker(he could care less about being choked) I had to walk him with one of those pronged/spiked collars even though he is only about 30 lbs.

He did not listen and I have to admit I "pushed the envelope" many times to get his cooperation.None of my creative or cruel methods worked.

I have a 7 year old Basenji who is the complete opposite of him. She is loving,loyal and sweet.

Very sorry man. My dog died almost two years ago and I posted about him (I remember you replying too about the pet loss poems :nana: ). We still have his ashes and I think we are going to spread them this spring. I completely understand about your wanting to be with him to the very end. My dog died two days before I was set to come home from school after graduation so I never got to say goodbye. In fact, it had been the longest amount of time I'd been away from him ever. It was crushing to know that I couldn't be there to hold on to him while they put him to sleep.

My deepest sympathies...enjoy the memories.

Thanks for your kind words.

I debated in my mind whether or not I should post about the loss of my dog.

I figured I should- as anyone who knows me in "real life" knows that he has been my "best friend"

Kind comments like yours and knowledge that other people have walked this path of loss and "get it" has provided me with strength.

Thank you!

Just saw this and wanted to express my sympathy too.

I had a beautiful Bernese Mountain Dog for 12 years and had to put him down.

I cried for days and still it haunts me.

A good dog is pure love.

I'm very sorry for your loss.