When am I allowed to push the panic button?

The_Real

Besides, it's OK to question your team when 28 other NFL clubs have been to the playoffs since the last team your team went. But that might be too negative for some.

Although this statement is factual, I feel that it doesn't accurately gauge what is currently happening in our organization. That statement is based just as much, if not even more, on past administrators/personnel. In the short period that Marv & Co. has taken over the controls, I see and feel alot more secure in our present and future status. Marv is not assembling names or ego tripping, he is simply building a team with a solid foundation. I understand that we ALL have suffered long enough and that some may feel that we're not moving at a fast enough pace but I like what has happen and where we are going under Marv's direction. I like to think that it's very possible that we threaten for double digits in the win column this year but even if we do we will still be a very young and inexperienced team that will still be vunerable. 2008 might be the most exciting year since 1990. I can wait.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides, it's OK to question your team when 28 other NFL clubs have been to the playoffs since the last team your team went. But that might be too negative for some.

Although this statement is factual, I feel that it doesn't accurately gauge what is currently happening in our organization. That statement is based just as much, if not even more, on past administrators/personnel. In the short period that Marv & Co. has taken over the controls, I see and feel alot more secure in our present and future status. Marv is not assembling names or ego tripping, he is simply building a team with a solid foundation. I understand that we ALL have suffered long enough and that some may feel that we're not moving at a fast enough pace but I like what has happen and where we are going under Marv's direction. I like to think that it's very possible that we threaten for double digits in the win column this year but even if we do we will still be a very young and inexperienced team that will still be vunerable. 2008 might be the most exciting year since 1990. I can wait.

How much time should we give the current Bills Braintrust? Two seasons? Three seasons? To me, talking about 2008 is even worse than all those 40s and 50s Brooklyn Dodgers fans who said every season after they lost in the World Series, "wait until next year." I don't think too many fans want to even consider that type of rationale. Another season, off-season, and regular season to a playoff appearance is a lot to wait for. I want Buffalo to win now, not next year, not two years from now. This year. And if my patience is short, well, I think I have a reason.

We're 46-66 in the last seven seasons. We can talk about who was in charge and what players we had, but the fact remains the same, we've had 0 playoff appearances in 7 seasons, and only 2 in the last 11. And one playoff win since 1995. It's not about who's in charge, it's the organization that's experienced failure comparable to teams like Detroit and Arizona. To ask to have a winner now is certainly within bounds.

Do you want to panic? Or are you going to complain?

Very different things.

You can do both but some will ridicule you for it. Anyway the official date is in constant flux.

You will be given special notice on that day. Probably draft day again this year though. And if we make it through that then the date will most likely be when the new scoreboard is unveiled.

It will be too clear.

Cant we as Bills fans have a time period where can just be happy with no complaints or panic button..We do deserve it as we have gone 40 plus years with no championship.. We went 7-9 last yr and lost our best def players, however our defense sucked so how much worse can they be ( i can only hope they cant). Our offensive line sucked also however we addressed that. Our running back didnt want to be here so we vammoosed him, I only hope we can find another sub 1000 yrd rusher, because I do think an average back will gain over 1300 yrds behind our left side. Our qb should be better along with evans so we should score more points..I believe Marve is following a plan where he builds the offense then the def..I will not hit the panic button for 3 yrs..Look how long it took Peyton and the Colts...I hope our wait isnt as long but whatever it takes..I just want a championship...LOL

Make no mistake about it, I fully expect us to be in the play-offs THIS year. Anything short of that would be devastating. What I was inferring is that in 2008 I believe we will have a VERY solid team that will be able to sustain and even threaten for the title legitimately.

Make no mistake about it, I fully expect us to be in the play-offs THIS year. Anything short of that would be devastating. What I was inferring is that in 2008 I believe we will have a VERY solid team that will be able to sustain and even threaten for the title legitimately.

I'm glad you are optimistic for this season, but I figured you were already writing off 2007. 10 wins will be tough to come by in the ultra-competitive AFC East. Granted, we're playing only 6 divisional games, but getting out of the AFC East will be a challenge. And with NFL teams changing so much from year to year, maybe a repeat of 06 happens in that we get a very tough schedule that going into the season no one expected.

I believe this team is weak because we're going into draft weekend in need of starters. And we need starters at multiple positions. RB, LB, DT, and CB need continued personnel improvement. I completely understand needing an infusion of talent at 1-2 positions, but four is too much to still be hopeful of 10+ wins.

A lot of people on here are quick to point out that we were poor against the run with LFB and NC. That's accurate, but so is the opposite. We were poor with them, and it's entirely possible that we'll be poorer without them. To be fair, we do not know what this team, particularly the defense, will be like minus those two.

The Bills will need unproven players to become proven in a hurry. If not, it could be a long 2007 season.

Then again, here's to 2008 and waiting until the season after next.

.....I believe this team is weak because we're going into draft weekend in need of starters. And we need starters at multiple positions.....

For all we know we are not in need of starters at as many positions as appears.

At DT we have to assume that our 1st round pick from last year will be a starter.

DJ may well feel that Crowell is an upgrade at MLB & that Ellison can start OLB.

In the cover 2, they may feel that the amount of talent(potential) we have....along with a 2nd/3rd rounder will do nicely.

RB.....1st round?.....if the OL performs as is hoped, ATrain may well be all that is required to get the job done.

My point simply is that only the coaches & management know if they believe we are in need of starters(in all those positions).

It seems fairly obvious that OBD considers they have at least 1 more starter than the average fan does.

Make no mistake about it, I fully expect us to be in the play-offs THIS year.

Can I be first? Oh please can I?

PLAY-OFFS?

PLAY-OFFS!!! In the voice of Jim Mora :D

Yes I too have your feel of optimism.

You can discuss positions and players all night, but they are not the only components that win you games. If you believe that, then you probably could never point to specific games that either Mularkey or Killdrive LOST for us.

What I'm trying to say is, you can count on coaching to win you some games. In their first year, this new staff did not hesitate to see its flaws and do SOMETHING about them. It's one thing to flip-flop quarterbacks, but changing an offensive line? Actually changing game plans at halftime? Pulling out some last-minute come from behind victories...on the road no less? Does anyone even recognize how much better this team plays on the road all of a sudden?

We're not going to win the Super Bowl this year. We're just not. But we are in a better position and in better hands than we have been for some while.

Nothing that can be examined about this team right now can possibly play a role in determining how this season will play out. But if you insist on being a person who finds it necessary to worry about the state of this team in March, cheer up and remember; one thing you don't have to worry about is your coaching staff. You finally have a staff that at least LOOKS like they know what they're doing.

For all we know we are not in need of starters at as many positions as appears.

At DT we have to assume that our 1st round pick from last year will be a starter.

DJ may well feel that Crowell is an upgrade at MLB & that Ellison can start OLB.

In the cover 2, they may feel that the amount of talent(potential) we have....along with a 2nd/3rd rounder will do nicely.

RB.....1st round?.....if the OL performs as is hoped, ATrain may well be all that is required to get the job done.

My point simply is that only the coaches & management know if they believe we are in need of starters(in all those positions).

It seems fairly obvious that OBD considers they have at least 1 more starter than the average fan does.

OK, not to quibble with your assessment here, but just because a guy is a first round pick doesn't mean he's starter grade. The jury's still out on McCargo...I keep hearing he showed flashes but I didn't really see them. Seemed to me the games he did play in I didn't even know he was there and I was watching the interior DLine. And with a potentially chronic foot problem, I'm still seeing big question marks. Even if he does start, who knows at what level.

DJ does defense better than anything else, and if they've got faith in Crowell at MLB, great. But let's not put him there because DiGiorgio is the only option. Now we're trying to fit the players to the system and that doesn't always work. I'm not convinced on Ellison. Don't want to shut him out, but he's not got that much playing time. Of course we'll see what the off-season has done for him. I hope he can become a Cato June type player who can tackle better. Who knows? I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that one.

I think the OL is going to be a strength. There's good starters and good depth, at least on paper. But a below average running back is our starter right now. Here's why:

1. backed up McGahee in 06...against the NFL's worst run defense (Indy) ran for 109 yards on 28 carries...not real impressive but of course the line wasn't great.

2. hasn't run for 1000 yards or started either since that 2003.

I can't get over those facts. If they go by committee, I think there are some fine running backs available out there in the 2-3rd, but I don't like putting faith into a rookie. And neither does Marv. His track record prior to 06 demonstrates that, and last season was out of pure necessity.

You can discuss positions and players all night, but they are not the only components that win you games. If you believe that, then you probably could never point to specific games that either Mularkey or Killdrive LOST for us.

What I'm trying to say is, you can count on coaching to win you some games. In their first year, this new staff did not hesitate to see its flaws and do SOMETHING about them. It's one thing to flip-flop quarterbacks, but changing an offensive line? Actually changing game plans at halftime? Pulling out some last-minute come from behind victories...on the road no less? Does anyone even recognize how much better this team plays on the road all of a sudden?

We're not going to win the Super Bowl this year. We're just not. But we are in a better position and in better hands than we have been for some while.

Nothing that can be examined about this team right now can possibly play a role in determining how this season will play out. But if you insist on being a person who finds it necessary to worry about the state of this team in March, cheer up and remember; one thing you don't have to worry about is your coaching staff. You finally have a staff that at least LOOKS like they know what they're doing.

I'd agree with that as well...but let's not give the coaching staff/front office too much credit after one season and draft. They made changes at the bye week that strengthened the OLine and gave the team a chance down the stretch. They beat a JAC team that was pretty good. They weren't blown out by the likes of SD, Indy, and BAL like Chicago did. But they also didn't hold the lead against Tennessee in the 4th.

I wasn't crazy about clock management in the SD game, nor the two timeouts on the Price non-catch. To wager 2 TO's on one play in inexcusable. I also didn't like the game plan for Indy. Conservative play calling can go too far. Granted hindsight is 20/20, but outside of the McGee return at Indy we didn't score a TD in yet another game.

Not going to get worked up over the team in March. But I still say you put the pieces together personnel wise in March and April for mini-camp and training camp in July and August for the regular season in September. The OLine revamping was a great start, but we're not finished.

While I'm hopeful that McCargo comes through in a big way, I can't remember a DT making a huge difference in his first couple of years. I really think that we'll see Buffalo add a solid 3rd or 4th year DT before the draft, just for security purposes. Think about it, outside of Tripplett, our DTs that are on the current roster are raw. We definitely need some experience in this area, that's part of the reason why I don't see us taking Akoye. I've been advocating Tennessee's RFA DT Randy Starks for awhile now but if not him then someone of his caliber and experience.

OK, not to quibble with your assessment here, but just because a guy is a first round pick doesn't mean he's starter grade. The jury's still out on McCargo...I keep hearing he showed flashes but I didn't really see them. Seemed to me the games he did play in I didn't even know he was there and I was watching the interior DLine. And with a potentially chronic foot problem, I'm still seeing big question marks. Even if he does start, who knows at what level.

DJ does defense better than anything else, and if they've got faith in Crowell at MLB, great. But let's not put him there because DiGiorgio is the only option. Now we're trying to fit the players to the system and that doesn't always work. I'm not convinced on Ellison. Don't want to shut him out, but he's not got that much playing time. Of course we'll see what the off-season has done for him. I hope he can become a Cato June type player who can tackle better. Who knows? I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that one.

I think the OL is going to be a strength. There's good starters and good depth, at least on paper. But a below average running back is our starter right now. Here's why:

1. backed up McGahee in 06...against the NFL's worst run defense (Indy) ran for 109 yards on 28 carries...not real impressive but of course the line wasn't great.

2. hasn't run for 1000 yards or started either since that 2003.

I can't get over those facts. If they go by committee, I think there are some fine running backs available out there in the 2-3rd, but I don't like putting faith into a rookie. And neither does Marv. His track record prior to 06 demonstrates that, and last season was out of pure necessity.

My point on McCargo is that if you can't slot him in as a starter, who can you do it with? If we draft a DT 1st round.....same logic says you still need a starter since he is unproven. McCargo was drafted to be a starter & unless things go drastically wrong, it will be assumed he will start. Even if he is an average or even a below average starter, we still are not looking for his replacement until he shows us those things.

"If they've got faith in Crowell at MLB great. But let's not put him there because DiGiorgio is the only option......"
You should have stopped at the first bit....that was my point. The coaching staff may well have a lot of faith in Crowell etc. You & I do not know.....therefore cannot really say...."Oooh we have not got a starting MLB."

What I'm doing is saying....."Perhaps the sky isn't really falling. Perhaps Marv & Co. actually know some stuff that we don't."

IMO, If we still needed a starting MLB, DT, RB, & CB.......they wouldn't have grabbed 2 expensive OLmen knowing they would be overly deficient in so many other areas.....especially since most of those areas is defence(which Marv & DJ claim to hold as important).

I'm concluding that we are not devoid in all the areas that we may appear to be.

My point on McCargo is that if you can't slot him in as a starter, who can you do it with?

Anybody who would be an immediate improvement over Williams/Anderson. McCargo won't start again this year because Tripplett is still the better option at that spot (I still don't know why the Bills traded back up into the 1st round last year to draft a guy who plays the same exact spot that their top FA plays). The Bills need a guy who is better than Williams and can push Anderson off the team. That, most certainly, can be done via the draft.