Briggs says he's done in Chicago

Would they be willing to take a flyer on Spikes and a #3 to get rid of a headache? Probably not, but stranger things have happened. It depends on how much of a disruption they think he is. They could also probably sign Cato June and Spikes with the franchise money they are paying Briggs, which is almost 8 mil I think.

Interesting, but I cannot imagine why the Bears would trade for a guy with a 4.5 million dollar salary.

Besides, if TKO is worth that much money (meaning if he is healthy), I would rather keep him.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Contracts? They are to be honored, as should the collective bargaining agreement. So, should we have any sympathy for these poor mistreated souls? No, not one ounce.

So do you think signing a player to a big, multi-year deal and then cutting him before it expires is just as dishonorable?

Interesting how no one criticizes GMs for not "honoring" the contracts they make with their players. A player holds out for more money, we have no sympathy because he signed the contract and he should honor it. GM wants to cut a player for salary cap reasons, and no one bats and eyelash because its "part of the game."

I'll never criticize a player for doing whatever he has to in order to receive the highest financial return on his career. I might think he is overvaluing himself and I might be angry because he is hurting the team I like, but those are just my selfish reasons that are completely unimportant.

Interesting, but I cannot imagine why the Bears would trade for a guy with a 4.5 million dollar salary.

Besides, if TKO is worth that much money (meaning if he is healthy), I would rather keep him.

The point is, TKO is a flyer for any team, be they the Bills or another, until about week 3-4 into the season. There is pretty much no way to know whether he is capable of playing close to the old TKO until a few games into the year. I don't think the Bears are going to get rid of Briggs, if I had to bet, but they may.

The point is, TKO is a flyer for any team, be they the Bills or another, until about week 3-4 into the season. There is pretty much no way to know whether he is capable of playing close to the old TKO until a few games into the year. I don't think the Bears are going to get rid of Briggs, if I had to bet, but they may.

I am probably wrong, but I want to keep TKO. I truly believe that if he was not injured, he would be bound for Canton. His attitude seems to be great, and I think that he would help the young LBs that we already have as well as those who are sure to arrive.

I wouldn't slam the trade you proposed because these guys have far more knowledge than me about his health, but I think that if he is "close to the old TKO," he could put this team into the playoffs. Admittedly, he would have to be VERY close.

Is there virtually NO chance of a complete recovery?

I truly believe that if he was not injured, he would be bound for Canton. His attitude seems to be great, and I think that he would help the young LBs that we already have as well as those who are sure to arrive.

with all due respect, i think you need to revamp your view of Takeo Spikes.

its not like you are flat out wrong or anything, i just think you are giving him too much credit.

that being said, i have no problem keeping him this year and seeing what he can do. unless the coaches see something else in training camp.

Agreed. We certainly HAVE the $. The question is, will we spend it?

how can we have the money to sign briggs to what will certainly be a large bonus after having paid the large bonuses for linemen? wouldnt we certainly be over marvs "cash to cap" analysis? anyone know where we stand vis-a-vis that measure?

Interesting how no one criticizes GMs for not "honoring" the contracts they make with their players. A player holds out for more money, we have no sympathy because he signed the contract and he should honor it. GM wants to cut a player for salary cap reasons, and no one bats and eyelash because its "part of the game."

It's not "part of the game." It's part of the CBA, a different contract that the players agreed to.

That said, I don't disagree with your fundamental point and don't hold it against players who hold out.

Bottom line is that as much as i love tko if he isnt close to the impact player he was before the injury then he isnt worth paying 6 mil to this year. That cash would be better spent on another player or players who would help us win this year. For example say Nick Harper and a DT like Scott. The rest of our needs we can address in the draft; RB, 1 or 2 LBs, another OG or OT for depth and a FB.

how can we have the money to sign briggs to what will certainly be a large bonus after having paid the large bonuses for linemen? wouldnt we certainly be over marvs "cash to cap" analysis? anyone know where we stand vis-a-vis that measure?

Takeo costs 4.5 mil in cash this year. Holcomb costs 2 mil cash. They could use that toward a larger cash signing bonus for Briggs, and just pay him a mil salary this first year, as well as a guaranteed bonus for next year. It would cost them a 1-3 mil more than they would like to spend but easily doable and likely well worth it.

Takeo costs 4.5 mil in cash this year. Holcomb costs 2 mil cash. They could use that toward a larger cash signing bonus for Briggs, and just pay him a mil salary this first year, as well as a guaranteed bonus for next year. It would cost them a 1-3 mil more than they would like to spend but easily doable and likely well worth it.

Agree. I think they're seriously thinking about that $4.5 million they could free up for the right player.

so IF we were to trade for Briggs, what contract can/will we sign him too??

not much..

edit: as i type this im watching an interview with Briggs on ESPN. while i dont usually take the player's side, and still dont, he makes a couple of good points. one being: he's played for 4 years at league minimum, he's proven himself, and now the Bears do not want to offer a fair market, long-term deal. and i guess its true, hes gone out there and willingly sacrificed his body and is one of the better LBs. he's proven what he can/will bring. they should offer him a contract... but... i dont know.

its funny cause he's "debating" john clayton about it, but they sort of agree..