Who is Frederick Jackson?

folz

After Marv mentioned him last week, I was just curious to find out more about him and found this article. I pulled some selections

from it (in bold):

http://www.nfleurope.com/teams/story/RHE/9398452

Whether returning, rushing or receiving, Fire running back Fred Jackson gets the job done.

This season Jackson gained countless extra-effort yards after initial contact. He’s totaled 644 combined net yards this season and is the only running back of the top three in the league to have balanced yardage (rushing and receiving) across the board.

Jackson makes a living by being versatile, and offensive coordinator Steve Logan says he couldn’t ask for more.

“His lower body strength has been the most surprising thing for me. He’s a real slender hip athlete, but he’s incredibly strong in the lower body and his yards after contact are impressive,” said Logan. “And to top it off, his hands are impeccable and he catches everything thrown to him.”

On just about every play this season, opposing defenders have had the hit-and-miss syndrome when it comes to tackling Jackson. This may have something to do with his uncanny ability to change direction at the drop of a dime, those nimble hip movements Logan alluded to or, even easier, just his perseverance.

“He’s exactly the guy you’re looking for,” said Logan. “You want him on your team and in your locker room. He’s quiet, serious about what he does, has a good sense of humor, a real mild spirit, and he’s just been a pleasure to have.”

Now before anyone jumps on, I'm not saying he should be or is going to be our featured back by posting this (I was just curious to find out more about him)...and we all know that competition in D-III, the Indoor League, and even NFL Europe is no where near the NFL so the Bills would be stupid not to still draft a RB in the first few rounds of the draft (which I'm sure they will).

But he definitely sounds like the type of back Marv is looking for (and not just because of the Coe college connection): He avoids tackles and gets yards after contact while running and is a receiving threat (those first two sound a lot like TT...remember how he could avoid getting hit even while crashing through the middle of the line...unlike a recent Bills RB). Jackson can also play STs (kick returner), and seems to be a high character guy who has excelled everytime he has had to take a step up in competition level.

So if Jackson can take that next step, we draft a RB and perhaps a FB, maybe resign A-train, and then there's Shaud...we might not be so bad off at RB this year...we may not have a true featured back, but it will be a versatile backfield that should leave a lot of options open for playcalling.

Stranger things have happened in the NFL than finding RB talent at a division III school. There will be two other players in the mix at RB.. a vet and a rookie draft pick (probably one of our picks in the top 3 rounds) -- it will be interesting to see the battle unfold.

Marv might not like the piercings he's got in his team photo on the Bills Website. I'm sure he's coming to training camp, but it'll be interesting how much competition Buffalo brings in at RB.

Why would Marv mind the piercings?

He went to Coe College (same as Marv).

BTW, your avatar is screwed up...is that on purpose?

Why would Marv mind the piercings?

He went to Coe College (same as Marv).

BTW, your avatar is screwed up...is that on purpose?

I wanted something to represent the Army Battalion I was with in Iraq...that was all I had for the moment.

I was kidding about the piercings, it's prob something Marv doesn't care about as long as the guy doesn't beat his wife or throw singles at strippers and start gun battles. Those are not fun.

After Marv mentioned him last week, I was just curious to find out more about him and found this article. I pulled some selections

from it (in bold):

http://www.nfleurope.com/teams/story/RHE/9398452

Whether returning, rushing or receiving, Fire running back Fred Jackson gets the job done.

This season Jackson gained countless extra-effort yards after initial contact. He’s totaled 644 combined net yards this season and is the only running back of the top three in the league to have balanced yardage (rushing and receiving) across the board.

Jackson makes a living by being versatile, and offensive coordinator Steve Logan says he couldn’t ask for more.

“His lower body strength has been the most surprising thing for me. He’s a real slender hip athlete, but he’s incredibly strong in the lower body and his yards after contact are impressive,” said Logan. “And to top it off, his hands are impeccable and he catches everything thrown to him.”

On just about every play this season, opposing defenders have had the hit-and-miss syndrome when it comes to tackling Jackson. This may have something to do with his uncanny ability to change direction at the drop of a dime, those nimble hip movements Logan alluded to or, even easier, just his perseverance.

“He’s exactly the guy you’re looking for,” said Logan. “You want him on your team and in your locker room. He’s quiet, serious about what he does, has a good sense of humor, a real mild spirit, and he’s just been a pleasure to have.”

Now before anyone jumps on, I'm not saying he should be or is going to be our featured back by posting this (I was just curious to find out more about him)...and we all know that competition in D-III, the Indoor League, and even NFL Europe is no where near the NFL so the Bills would be stupid not to still draft a RB in the first few rounds of the draft (which I'm sure they will).

But he definitely sounds like the type of back Marv is looking for (and not just because of the Coe college connection): He avoids tackles and gets yards after contact while running and is a receiving threat (those first two sound a lot like TT...remember how he could avoid getting hit even while crashing through the middle of the line...unlike a recent Bills RB). Jackson can also play STs (kick returner), and seems to be a high character guy who has excelled everytime he has had to take a step up in competition level.

So if Jackson can take that next step, we draft a RB and perhaps a FB, maybe resign A-train, and then there's Shaud...we might not be so bad off at RB this year...we may not have a true featured back, but it will be a versatile backfield that should leave a lot of options open for playcalling.

Good find.

I wanted something to represent the Army Battalion I was with in Iraq...that was all I had for the moment.

I was kidding about the piercings, it's prob something Marv doesn't care about as long as the guy doesn't beat his wife or throw singles at strippers and start gun battles. Those are not fun.

FYI: The pic in the avatar used to be truncated about 1/8th of the way down. Now it's whole, but distorted.