Off Topic From the Bills

NO! They are pretentious if they ooze the "We're better than everyone else because of what we believe". I don't know that much about REM as I couldn't get past their bubble-gum dreck like Stand and Shiny Happy People, so REM isn't really on my most pretentious list (just most annoying). I have the impression they are pretentious, but I'm not sure.

Bono, on the other hand...

If anything Bono typifies the pretentiousness in ALL of us...??

You still got me thinking about the pretentiousness of Bono... Maybe you are right? But if you are using the term as he is pretending? What is he pretending to be? A rock star? If that is the case, then I guess he is.

There is a definite gap between his life mission and his rock star status (his art and music)... As much as he every bit LOOKS the part... Isn't he the anti-rock star?... Just look at his personal life... No different than strapping a suit on between 9-5 and killing them at the office...

Is there a bit of "lace curtain Irish" in him that you see? :devil::lol: I just don't see it... The fact of the matter is, he seems to be answering to a higher calling... And I guess that is better than what I am doing.

So if he must be pretentious, I really don't have a problem with it... It is effective and seems to be helping people...??

IMO.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:devil:

If anything Bono typifies the pretentiousness in ALL of us...??

You still got me thinking about the pretentiousness of Bono... Maybe you are right? But if you are using the term as he is pretending? What is he pretending to be? A rock star? If that is the case, then I guess he is.

There is a definite gap between his life mission and his rock star status (his art and music)... As much as he every bit LOOKS the part... Isn't he the anti-rock star?... Just look at his personal life... No different than strapping a suit on between 9-5 and killing them at the office...

Is there a bit of "lace curtain Irish" in him that you see? :lol:;) I just don't see it... The fact of the matter is, he seems to be answering to a higher calling... And I guess that is better than what I am doing.

So if he must be pretentious, I really don't have a problem with it... It is effective and seems to be helping people...??

IMO.

:lol: Cheers!!

Creed/Nickleback/All the other garbage "rocknroll" bands that they spawned

Dave Matthews/Jack Johnson/John Mayer/every other Frat Boy with a guitar

koRn/Linkin Park/staind/most nu-metal

oh man, as much as i stand by hating these GROUPINGS of bands.

i agree, the ONE BAND i absolutely can not stand musically or the personalities of the members, is U2

I agree on the Stones. Hit and miss. Paint it black? Good. Start me up? No thanks. LZ yes yes, "unlistenable" is a good way to put it. I just don't personally see the draw towards them. The vocals? The guitar work? None of it clicks.

Another one I've never really understood is Nirvana. I'm *that* age group. It always angers folks when I bring this up, but to me it's just a bunch of noise coupled with self-loathing lyrics.

What *do* I like? Pink Floyd...The Wall, Dark Side, Momentary Lapse... great stuff. Social Distortion. Bad Religion. Therapy? Dream Theater. Face to Face. Godsmack. Ministry. Rush. Sevendust. Metallica. Tool. Soundgarden and RATM, but not Audioslave. Megadeth. U2. Samiam. Orgy. NIN. Helmet. Matchbox 20. Deftones. Carlos Santana. COC. The Crystal Method. Alice in Chains. Alkaline Trio. Chevelle. Faith No More. Goo Goo Dolls. The Offspring (Ignition!).... and pretty much anything with a nice warm blues guitar.

I like a wide range of everything. It's largely Nirvana and Led Zeppelin, individually. I just can't stomach them.

Jeff

On another hand... I like Nirvana's sound and I am your age group... Again, go figure!

oh man, as much as i stand by hating these GROUPINGS of bands.

i agree, the ONE BAND i absolutely can not stand musically or the personalities of the members, is U2

Again... How can you hate the persoanlity of Bono?... Isn't he just like many here? Committed to his faith and family... Living a life morally and honorably...

Yet... He doesn't even remotely shove religion down your throat musically... He does shove acting responsible and compassionately down our throats... Is that so bad?

So basically... He is a Eagle Scout with rock star status/money/fame...

How bad can that be?

Again... How can you hate the persoanlity of Bono?... Isn't he just like many here? Committed to his faith and family... Living a life morally and honorably...

Yet... He doesn't even remotely shove religion down your throat musically... He does shove acting responsible and compassionately down our throats... Is that so bad?

How bad can that be?

I'm not saying he's a bad citizen or morally corrupt....hell, I'd probably like him more if he was. :devil:

To me he just reeks "Look at me. I'm better than you. What I do is IMPORTANT!" The sunglasses don't help, either.

Here's a typical Bono quote: "We knew the world was ready to receive the heirs to The Who. All we had to do was to keep doing what we were doing and we would become the biggest band since Led Zeppelin, without a doubt."

I find his claim that U2 is "Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the world" to be offensive. (Might not be an EXACT quote, BTW)

And, as I've stated before, I find his posing and posturing in concert distasteful.

I guess he gives me the impression of being a self-important humorless twit.

BUT, and this is important. I dislike almost ALL rock stars and popular bands. So, don't mind me.

How bad can that be?

cause i dont like him. sorry man, you might as well be talking religion or politics cause im not gonna just change my mind. i dont actively hate him, and didnt really think about it until i saw it brought up, so its not that big a deal. i obviously have nothing PERSONAL against him seeing as how ive only met him once and it was real quick. but whenever i see him/them on tv or whatever i just feel like saying "yech"... just rubs me the wrong way, you dont have to like everyone, right?

How bad can that be?

I just wanted to point out that you are actually defending Boner and U2, and dissing Led Zep as well. YOu and I are about as opposite as it gets...

cause i dont like him. sorry man, you might as well be talking religion or politics cause im not gonna just change my mind. i dont actively hate him, and didnt really think about it until i saw it brought up, so its not that big a deal. i obviously have nothing PERSONAL against him seeing as how ive only met him once and it was real quick. but whenever i see him/them on tv or whatever i just feel like saying "yech"... just rubs me the wrong way, you dont have to like everyone, right?

Agree... To each his own... Don't have to like everyone.

I just see him as everybody else... Sure he is a poser but, like I said, who isn't? Strap on the suit/uniform/whatever you do for a living... It makes us all feel important I suppose? Worthwhile, gainful?

He does seem to have a purpose... Even if he is jerky with his art/music, it is in us all...

The point that I like is that he vexes me to no ends... Sunglasses/rock star status... Big apparent ego, whatever, I personally dislike that side... Yet, underneath it all? There is a base of a sound man... Yes, beneath the flawed man...

Yah... But, that's just me... I don't dislike him or judge him on his flaws... Because I see it in all of us... You, me... Everybody...

Most annoying musician ever - this will end this thread:

MEATLOAF!!!

Well we at least agree on one thing with Meatloaf. Like I said I like them in the beginning, but then they got very popular and... okay you know what I'll give you this to chew on and maybe I'm a little misguided in my view, but it might just be their "bandwagon" fans turned me off. Although I felt Michael Stipe was on a self-made pedistal sometimes castigating the rest of us because we weren't as self-aware as he was.

Yes, that's it, I think I've had an epiphany (I swear I'm not being sarcastic). It's not so much I'm annoyed with REM as I am peeved with their 1990, 91, 92, 93 fans who all of sudden became lemmings who bought into their message, but drove around in daddy's Jeep Cherokee or Range Rover and claimed to be socially conscious. (not trying to turn this in eco-rant).

I guess the Johnny-come-lately fans turned me off to them, more so than the band itself.

BUT I WON'T BACK OFF MEATLOAF (or the fact I can't stand OJ)!!!!!!! :devil:

NO! They are pretentious if they ooze the "We're better than everyone else because of what we believe". I don't know that much about REM as I couldn't get past their bubble-gum dreck like Stand and Shiny Happy People, so REM isn't really on my most pretentious list (just most annoying). I have the impression they are pretentious, but I'm not sure.

Bono, on the other hand...

so, they are pretentious if YOU disagree with their point of view. :devil:

I can't believe some of the Bands I am seeing in here. Some one mentioned Black Sabbath? I'll accept that if you aren't talking about Ozzy Black Sabbath. Led Zepplin?????? You have to be kidding me? What do you guys listen too? Anne Murray and Celine Dion Albums all day?

I think what causes alot of people to dislike a band is radio play. Radio picks up a song and plays it every hour, it becomes a huge smash hit and all of the sudden the band is considered horrible. Success causes people to dislike a band because they don't want to be considered "Lemmings" and "Following the crowd" listening to popular music. Its like the kids that listen to punk music. If anyone has ever heard of the band before, they are now uncool, and not punk anymore. Take for example Nickelback, what killed their "likability"? The song "How you remind me", when that song came out alot of people thought it was a cool tune, then it was getting played everywhere and people started to get sick of it, and then it became cool not to like them. Some of their best stuff came on their albums before Silver side up (I don't believe many Americans even know they have earlier stuff). Another example is of probably my favorite band, Metallica. In the 80's when they were more "underground" they were considered cool, but when their music started to get more airplay, and they released a music video for "One" everyone turned on them and they became uncool as they became more popular to the "mainstream" listeners

I will admit, I listen to Creed (Scott Stapp may be an @sshole, but they have some good songs, and Mark Tremmonti is on of the best guitarists from the 90's) and Nickelback (I've seen them live many times and they put on an awesome live show), The Dave Matthews Band (generally placed in the same genra of music as Phish, Jam Band, but about 10x better)

Some of the worst bands ever, most of them come from the new bands comming out now. My chemical Romance, AFI, pretty much anything from the faggity "EMO" bands where they all dress in black with tight jeans and cry about how horrible life is for them.

As for the REM/U2 arguement. Its fine to have a cause and fight for it or bring awareness to it, but its another thing to get preachy about it, and thats were my annoyance with Bono comes from. I think he crosses the preachy line. Everytime you see this guy he's telling you how he thinks that We should all be caring about this or that cause.

I'd say they are pretentious if they are trying to force their point of view upon me all the time because they believe that their opinions and concerns are more important than anyone elses

Most people don't have an issue with it if they agree with the opinion. Just sayin'.

And some people do act really self-important about it. Others just feel that they've been given an opportunity to speak their minds and that they can (not necessarily do) speak for others who don't have that opportunity. It's a fine line.

I don't like the idol-worship, I don't like the idea that 'we can go save the world' and not really help others help themselves, which is much more rewarding and generates long-term results. But I think you can make a distinction between Alec Baldwin (who does all sorts of voiceover work for crummy companies, for christ's sake) and a band playing a Free Tibet concert, misguided though they may or may not be.

Lastly, the great thing, to me, is that they are not forcing their point of view upon you. You can always decline to buy a ticket, album, change the channel, etc and your part of the transaction is over.

Agree... To each his own... Don't have to like everyone.

I just see him as everybody else... Sure he is a poser but, like I said, who isn't? Strap on the suit/uniform/whatever you do for a living... It makes us all feel important I suppose? Worthwhile, gainful?

He does seem to have a purpose... Even if he is jerky with his art/music, it is in us all...

The point that I like is that he vexes me to no ends... Sunglasses/rock star status... Big apparent ego, whatever, I personally dislike that side... Yet, underneath it all? There is a base of a sound man... Yes, beneath the flawed man...

Yah... But, that's just me... I don't dislike him or judge him on his flaws... Because I see it in all of us... You, me... Everybody...

the funny/sad thing is that i HIGHLY respect all the work he tries to do with world social issues. it would be nice if everyone who has been handed hundreds of millions of dollars for not doing much would give back so much.

and when i met them, they were not pretentious at all. very down to earth, didnt come off as being fake.

but at the same time, there is just something about the band... i was never a fan of the music at all, so i think that is where it all starts.

i cant stand Pink Floyd either. and i like classic rock and im a stoner. but i cant stand to listen to them for more than a minute.

just the way it is i guess.