Off Topic From the Bills

Most people don't have an issue with it if they agree with the opinion. Just sayin'.

And some people do act really self-important about it. Others just feel that they've been given an opportunity to speak their minds and that they can (not necessarily do) speak for others who don't have that opportunity. It's a fine line.

I don't like the idol-worship, I don't like the idea that 'we can go save the world' and not really help others help themselves, which is much more rewarding and generates long-term results. But I think you can make a distinction between Alec Baldwin (who does all sorts of voiceover work for crummy companies, for christ's sake) and a band playing a Free Tibet concert, misguided though they may or may not be.

Lastly, the great thing, to me, is that they are not forcing their point of view upon you. You can always decline to buy a ticket, album, change the channel, etc and your part of the transaction is over.

After further review, RTDB, I must make an admission:

People who BELIEVE in anything, and feel the need to preach about it, rub me the wrong way.

I believe in very little (I hesitate to say "nothing" but it might be true) and I believe in the POSSIBILITY of almost anything.

One thing I THINK I might believe is, the more you research/study/learn about something, the less you KNOW to be true about it.

As for Bono...the sunglasses really don't help.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After further review, RTDB, I must make an admission:

People who BELIEVE in anything, and feel the need to preach about it, rub me the wrong way.

I believe in very little (I hesitate to say "nothing" but it might be true) and I believe in the POSSIBILITY of almost anything.

One thing I THINK I might believe is, the more you research/study/learn about something, the less you KNOW to be true about it.

As for Bono...the sunglasses really don't help.

You Socratic serendipitous nihilists are !@#$ing it up for everybody. :lol:

I just not sure how yet.....

I can't believe some of the Bands I am seeing in here. Some one mentioned Black Sabbath? I'll accept that if you aren't talking about Ozzy Black Sabbath. Led Zepplin?????? You have to be kidding me? What do you guys listen too? Anne Murray and Celine Dion Albums all day?

No disrespect meant at all, but I don't get it. Every time I say "I can't stand Zeppelin" this is the type of response I get. It has nothing to do with airplay, rotation, or popularity. I simply just don't like Led Zeppelin. I've never heard a Zeppelin song I'd want to pay money for. I recognize the influential bit and all that but I simply don't like the music. Why is that so hard for people to swallow?

What *do* I like? Pink Floyd...The Wall, Dark Side, Momentary Lapse... great stuff. Social Distortion. Bad Religion. Therapy? Dream Theater. Face to Face. Godsmack. Ministry. Rush. Sevendust. Metallica. Tool. Soundgarden and RATM, but not Audioslave. Megadeth. U2. Samiam. Orgy. NIN. Helmet. Matchbox 20. Deftones. Carlos Santana. COC. The Crystal Method. Alice in Chains. Alkaline Trio. Chevelle. Faith No More. Goo Goo Dolls. The Offspring (Ignition!).... and pretty much anything with a nice warm blues guitar.

No disrespect meant at all, but I don't get it. Every time I say "I can't stand Zeppelin" this is the type of response I get. It has nothing to do with airplay, rotation, or popularity. I simply just don't like Led Zeppelin. I've never heard a Zeppelin song I'd want to pay money for. I recognize the influential bit and all that but I simply don't like the music. Why is that so hard for people to swallow?

Sorry, just a huge Zepplin fan here

I guess they may not be for everyone

Its hard for me to complain about a fellow metallica, Tool, and Godsmack fan.

Same here mcjeff! I suppose it is the same way for other poeple and the bands I don't find annoying... Which I am cool with...

Ya, I am preachy... NO! me? :pirate: And I have to admit that I MAY like grating on people's nerves... :wallbash:

But there is a big deifference between Bono and say the Christian Right (and Bono is every part a devout Christian)? Not really sure he is telling the individual how to lead there life?... Isn't he for 3rd World debt relief? Does that call for a paradigm change really shake and annoy people? If it does... I guess to each his own...

Again... Isn't that the role of ALL aritists? This whole "shut-up and sing to me" is a rather new construct...

Agian, to each her own... Maybe it is just sunglasses and rock star posing...