Duckett to Detroit

disco

Just because a guy doesn't sign, it doesn't at all mean that no one wants him. And it surely doesnt mean that TJ Duckett is better because he signed first. Duckett just signed with a team that already has two starters. Brown could be asking too much money, or a promise to start. The Bills, or Packers or other teams may want him at 3 mil a year but not 4 mil. I wouldnt want him at a huge contract, or my only guy, but he is a very good runner when healthy. I watched him a lot because he was on my fantasy team. He'd be a very good stopgap while we develop a high draft pick.

Alright, that's an interesting way to put it. You're right, I'm sure there are teams out there that wouldn't mind Chris Brown playing for free. The following teams just signed a running back without even bringing in Chris Brown for an interview:

Denver

Baltimore

Cleveland

New York (A)

New York (N)

Houston

Oakland

25% of the league was in search of a RB and didn't even look Chris Brown's way. If your theory of contractual issues was true, you'd think teams would at LEAST interview him, no?

Alright, that's an interesting way to put it. You're right, I'm sure there are teams out there that wouldn't mind Chris Brown playing for free. The following teams just signed a running back without even bringing in Chris Brown for an interview:

Denver

Baltimore

Cleveland

New York (A)

New York (N)

Houston

Oakland

25% of the league was in search of a RB and didn't even look Chris Brown's way. If your theory of contractual issues was true, you'd think teams would at LEAST interview him, no?

and Anthony Thomas was on the NFL scrap heap this time last year having been cut by two teams in 2005 (the Saints and Cowboys). Yet he found a home here and was serviceable and to date Brown's shown to be a better NFL RB than Thomas.

Denver

Baltimore

Cleveland

New York (A)

New York (N)

Houston

Oakland

All teams are wary of him and highly unlikely to sign him as a starter because of his injury history. He and his agent let it be known that he wanted to start and wanted starters money. That probably scared off a few of those teams. The Bills are in a semi unique situation, as they don't want to spend a lot of money, like their back-up as a back-up (which will be A Train) and very likely will be looking for their long term starter in the first two rounds of the draft. So Brown becomes a rather good option for a team like the Bills, but a bad option for a team that wants a reliable starter.I really cannot understand how anyone could watch him play when healthy and not think he was a talent. People don't like his style sometimes because they think he runs too tall and is an injury waiting to happen but all of his injuries in all likelihood had nothing to do with his running style.

All teams are wary of him and highly unlikely to sign him as a starter because of his injury history. He and his agent let it be known that he wanted to start and wanted starters money. That probably scared off a few of those teams. The Bills are in a semi unique situation, as they don't want to spend a lot of money, like their back-up as a back-up (which will be A Train) and very likely will be looking for their long term starter in the first two rounds of the draft. So Brown becomes a rather good option for a team like the Bills, but a bad option for a team that wants a reliable starter.I really cannot understand how anyone could watch him play when healthy and not think he was a talent. People don't like his style sometimes because they think he runs too tall and is an injury waiting to happen but all of his injuries in all likelihood had nothing to do with his running style.

My most vivid memory of Brown was the day he tore Nebraska a new !@#$ in college in the 60 point game..six touchdowns and almost 200 yards...he could not be stopped. It was one of if not the most dominating game by a RB I have ever seen. It was like the Anthony Davis game against Notre Dame in 1974..

He has talent and is worth a flyer like the Browns gave Jamal Lewis--he won't cost as much as Jamal though..

and Anthony Thomas was on the NFL scrap heap this time last year having been cut by two teams in 2005 (the Saints and Cowboys). Yet he found a home here and was serviceable and to date Brown's shown to be a better NFL RB than Thomas.

I think my point is there is no market for Chris Brown. He's just watched the teams looking for a RB shrink from 10 to 2 (GB, Buffalo - are there others?)

I simply think he needs Buffalo more than Buffalo needs Chris Brown. The only thing I ever hear about Chris Brown is that in 2004 he rushed for 1,000 yards in 11 games. I'm being serious - is that really what supporters are looking to as a reason to bring him in? It just doesn't seem to be enough to me. I'd much rather hope that the Bills have another game plan to address the RB situation. If he really doesn't have character issues, I don't see any problem with bringing him to Buffalo on a small contract to compete for carries...but I certainly don't want him as a starter for next year.

If that is the case, then wouldn't bringing him to Buffalo imply that he's going to be our starter? Doesn't that seem like a step down from McGahee? (and I'm no McGahee fan)

If that is the case, then wouldn't bringing him to Buffalo imply that he's going to be our starter? Doesn't that seem like a step down from McGahee? (and I'm no McGahee fan)

Yeah, he would be the starter. And would be spelled by the rookie and/or A train. If he got hurt again they would literally have a back-up plan. They just couldn't count on him to carry 20 plus times for 16 games. If he stays healthy, he could be a steal. But no one would count on it.

I think my point is there is no market for Chris Brown. He's just watched the teams looking for a RB shrink from 10 to 2 (GB, Buffalo - are there others?)

I simply think he needs Buffalo more than Buffalo needs Chris Brown. The only thing I ever hear about Chris Brown is that in 2004 he rushed for 1,000 yards in 11 games. I'm being serious - is that really what supporters are looking to as a reason to bring him in? It just doesn't seem to be enough to me. I'd much rather hope that the Bills have another game plan to address the RB situation. If he really doesn't have character issues, I don't see any problem with bringing him to Buffalo on a small contract to compete for carries...but I certainly don't want him as a starter for next year.

Wow, when you put it like this.......it sounds alot like Willis McGahee running through a bunch of high school teams at the end of 2004. Then came the Steelers reserves. After all, that's basically where he got most of his repuatation too isn't it? Maybe Brown isn't all that bad.

Yeah, he would be the starter. And would be spelled by the rookie and/or A train. If he got hurt again they would literally have a back-up plan. They just couldn't count on him to carry 20 plus times for 16 games. If he stays healthy, he could be a steal. But no one would count on it.

I'm a big believer in team guys, team chemistry, players that love the game, always play hard, etc. I don't think that was McGahee. Those things may describe Chris Brown. I thought I'd read he was difficult to deal with in Tennessee. It seems I'm wrong.

I think I feel like the Bills are actually going in the right direction offensively. I love the upgrades to the O-line, I don't care what people say about the cost. I like moving McGahee before there was an issue. Losman and Evans are poised to have a very good year. Obviously having a strong RB is going to be critical for us. I think I'd just prefer to find someone that was less of a gamble. It seems Chris Brown is a very large one.

Just because a guy doesn't sign, it doesn't at all mean that no one wants him. And it surely doesnt mean that TJ Duckett is better because he signed first. Duckett just signed with a team that already has two starters. Brown could be asking too much money, or a promise to start. The Bills, or Packers or other teams may want him at 3 mil a year but not 4 mil. I wouldnt want him at a huge contract, or my only guy, but he is a very good runner when healthy. I watched him a lot because he was on my fantasy team. He'd be a very good stopgap while we develop a high draft pick.

Finally a voice of reason....

What is with all the EFFFIINNN crusading going on about players.....like some of us know more then the bills mgt who seem to have been making smart moves all along......

Chris Brown is a TALENTED back who gets hurt a lot......maybe Marv is planning on platooning him with someone else while we groom a draft pick. We have upgraded the run blocking in our line right off the bat....

Why is it out the question that a change of scenery could produce a monster year for Brown who has talent? I am not saying sign him to a mega millions contract.......but maybe that is what the hold up is in signing him by a NFL team...getting him for a decent price.

I am not jumping on anyone my bills brethren....I am just saying give Marv a chance to make his moves before we start lambasting him......

Seems to me that the Lions chose Duckett because they have Tatum Bell now too. Chris Brown and Bell seem almost like the same type of back. Duckett is a lot bigger.

Duckett is going home. It is poor attempt at fan friendly name recognition by the Lions. He won't help much more than Drew Haddad helped the Bills.

this guy makes a good point.. whomever he was arguing with, he got you.. he got you good.