McCargo?

When they drafted him I got roasted for saying he wasn't good (NC State is in my backyard). I have faith in Marv and company but I almost crapped out a golden goose when they announced his name last year. He was an average college lineman who showed flashes due to the guys he was playing with. I don't know if he is even talented enough to be an average NFL lineman.

When they drafted him I got roasted for saying he wasn't good (NC State is in my backyard). I have faith in Marv and company but I almost crapped out a golden goose when they announced his name last year. He was an average college lineman who showed flashes due to the guys he was playing with. I don't know if he is even talented enough to be an average NFL lineman.

I caught pretty much every State game his last year in college and I was shocked too...Playing with Mario Williams and Manny Lawson definitely made his job easier, but hes still very young with a lot of upside. I could see him panning out into a solid starter, but it remains to be seen if he will ever be a dominant force on the defensive line.

It's funny, I went to every home game he ever played at NC State and I come away feeling the exact opposite of how you viewed him.

His ability to shoot gaps and create havoc in the backfield was unreal while he was with State. He not a behemoth run stopper, that was Tank Tyler's job. If you look at how productive Mario Williams was when McCargo was on the field / off the field, you'd be shocked. A lot of Williams sacks / TFL were guys that had been flushed out by McCargo. He might not have received the stats, but he sure deserved some credit. There's a reason he started on the DL as a RS-Freshman.

This guy was an unrecruited HS fullback that Amato found while recruiting Virginia (his only other scholarship was to James Madison) and brought him in and converted him to DL, so he hasn't been playing it very long. Spent his RS year and RS-Fr year alternating between DT and DL before putting on enough weight to handle DT fulltime. Give him some time.

His only real negative are that he can be injury prone. People on this board have a negative view on him because we traded up for him and he got hurt.

Saw him during the offseason and spoke with him, he seems to be in good spirits and in good health. I think we will all be very happy with his production this year.

Are hopes still high for him? I keep seeing we need someone in middle but I thought this kid was really good. What did I miss?

He's a Republican and religiously watches tapes of old Dick Cheney speeches instead of studying game film. I'm afraid we're going to have to cut him.

Manny Lawson played well for SF this season at OLB this year in a PT role. Mario Williams not so much for Houston in that he didn't register a sack his final 8 games.

McCargo's foot injury concerns me. It's the same one he broke in college and subsequently missed a season.

I know they want a rotation of DT's, but without him playing good football, Larry Tripplett's going to be in the same position this year as he was last, fighting off multiple blockers while the 1-Tech guy gets engulfed too. I know that despite the Cover-2, both Triplett and McCargo were featured together for a short time. Kyle Williams can't be counted on for more than depth.

We're depending on McCargo more than I think the front office ever wanted to at this point in his career. DT is a big question mark.

Manny Lawson played well for SF this season at OLB this year in a PT role. Mario Williams not so much for Houston in that he didn't register a sack his final 8 games.

McCargo's foot injury concerns me. It's the same one he broke in college and subsequently missed a season.

I know they want a rotation of DT's, but without him playing good football, Larry Tripplett's going to be in the same position this year as he was last, fighting off multiple blockers while the 1-Tech guy gets engulfed too. I know that despite the Cover-2, both Triplett and McCargo were featured together for a short time. Kyle Williams can't be counted on for more than depth.

We're depending on McCargo more than I think the front office ever wanted to at this point in his career. DT is a big question mark.

I am always curious about this kind of statement - "Kyle Williams can't be counted on for more than depth".

Here was a rookie lower round draft pick that played some pretty good football for a first year guy. How do you know that he can not develop further? I wish people would express this stuff as opinions not established facts. In about two years we will have a good idea what his total potential might be. After his rookie year, the same could have been said about Bryce Fisher, now he is an established starter in the league. I am sure there are dozens of examples about players who continued to improve after their rookie year.

At least it was better than the usual insightful statement "(fill in the name) sucks!"

I see us keeping four maybe five DT's. Williams McCargo, Triplett and drafting Okoye or Branch, whichever falls. We'll be in good shape on both lines going into the season. McCargo had an unfortunate injury last year so we've got to evaluate him over the course of next season.

I am always curious about this kind of statement - "Kyle Williams can't be counted on for more than depth".

Here was a rookie lower round draft pick that played some pretty good football for a first year guy. How do you know that he can not develop further? I wish people would express this stuff as opinions not established facts. In about two years we will have a good idea what his total potential might be. After his rookie year, the same could have been said about Bryce Fisher, now he is an established starter in the league. I am sure there are dozens of examples about players who continued to improve after their rookie year.

At least it was better than the usual insightful statement "(fill in the name) sucks!"

Well, with Kyle Williams and Larry Tripplett handling the DT position, we were porous against the run. Kyle Williams works hard, but he's physically limited with shorter arms and not as much burst to penetrate the backfield. This defense is built on speed at nearly every position, specifically at DT. I just don't believe he can disrupt the line of scrimmage enough. More often than not, you can tell how good a rookie will be when he gets significant time his rookie season. Not all the time, but a good portion of it.

As for Bryce Fisher, I remember being at camp and watching him in 2000 when I interned with a Rochester TV station. He went to St Louis and now finally, 6 years in the NFL has begun playing well. But he's a DE. DT's in the Cover-2 are different because they must be quick enough in the gaps and strong enough to take on blockers. Let's not compare a DE with a DT. Using one out of context example to illustrate a point is not sufficient. What about Leif Larsen, where's he? Another low round Bills pick in 2000.

We need more than just improvement, we need to take leaps at DT this year if we're going to have a shot at controlling opponents from running the ball 140+ yards per game. I'm just saying Kyle Williams isn't the answer because his physical tools are limited for a Cover-2 DT.

McCargo's presence on the team is why I do NOT think that the Bills will draft Okoye. I am not saying that I necessarily agree with Marv and company, but with Tripplett and McCargo already on hand to ostensibly play the same position, I do not feel that they would be willing to give up on McCargo just yet. A better fit would be Branch, who is more of the classic run stuffer, but he's almost certainly not going to be there either.

The 3 technique stuff is a little overblown. That was at the start of year 1 camp, but we are going to have a rotation of tackles, and nothing keeps Larry and McCargo from being on the field at the same time. I don't think we go for a high DT, but instead look for a solid replacement for Anderson later who could maybe move ahead of Kyle in the rotation.

I still have a lot of expectations for McCargo and Youboty, our two 2003 picks who didn't contribute (sandwiched between our starting safeties in the draft). Judging McCargo on 2006 would have been silly WITHOUT the injury. Giving up or expecting very little from a first rounder at this point without specific reasons seems silly.

This guy was taken just three picks lower (#26 instead of #23) than McGahee, so expectation should be similar or Marv really messed up. So I'm going to give Marv the benefit of the doubt and expect some significant contributions this year.

This guy was an unrecruited HS fullback that Amato found while recruiting Virginia (his only other scholarship was to James Madison) and brought him in and converted him to DL, so he hasn't been playing it very long. Spent his RS year and RS-Fr year alternating between DT and DL before putting on enough weight to handle DT fulltime. Give him some time.

Interesting to here, I love it when skill players get converted to line positions cause it generally means that they were good enough athletes to play another position. Jason Peters comes to mind or even Warren Sapp who played TE and Linebacker in Highschool.

One way or another, we need a run stuffer up front. Kyle Williams has a high motor and a great work ethic, but we need a little more size out of that spot.

McCargo and Tripplett at the "3" position in our scheme should be very effective though...You can never have too much depth when it comes to your offensive and defensive lines...

I'll give McCargo this- I liked him better than Bunkley who I thought looked artificially bulked up- that being said it worries me that at 290 McCargo looked real soft- we'll see if he was serious in his off season strength training- if he comes in at trim 305-310 then I'll feel a little better

McCargo's presence on the team is why I do NOT think that the Bills will draft Okoye. I am not saying that I necessarily agree with Marv and company, but with Tripplett and McCargo already on hand to ostensibly play the same position, I do not feel that they would be willing to give up on McCargo just yet. A better fit would be Branch, who is more of the classic run stuffer, but he's almost certainly not going to be there either.

Agreed. And than there's Denney.

I think a lot of the answer here depends on how he is doing in the eyes of the Bills staff. Although he's been off the field for awhile, I'm sure he's been under the watchful eyes of the coaches as he rehabs. They are watching how he works out, takes mental reps, watches his conditioning, etc.

I do recall that Jauron called him out at last year's camp for dogging it, which concerned me at the time given the fact that it was his very FIRST training camp as a pro.