double standard in main stream media?

This is why John Edwards shouldnt be president for saying that this type of speech "shouldnt be tolerated"

Um...there's this amendment in the constitution that guarantees this type of speech. In fact its so important that they made it the FIRST one.

I love how Ann is bucking the latest trends and is NOT apologetic.

Uhhm, no. Hate speech shouldn't be tolerated by reasonable people. (which is a separate issue from First Amendment protections for free speech)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhhm, no. Hate speech shouldn't be tolerated by reasonable people. (which is a separate issue from First Amendment protections for free speech)

I disagree. I believe hate speech SHOULD be tolerated by reasonable people, because I believe reasonable people should believe in the First Amendment protection of free speech.

I just don't believe reasonable people should take hate speech seriously...but then, as I always say, the right to be heard does not convey the right to be taken seriously.

I agree that it shouldn't be tolerated by reasonable people. But it certainly should be tolerated by government. The government shouldn't be defining 'hate' speech and creating punishment for offenders of its very arbitrary standards. Which I presume was the original point of the thread.

I disagree. I believe hate speech SHOULD be tolerated by reasonable people, because I believe reasonable people should believe in the First Amendment protection of free speech.

I just don't believe reasonable people should take hate speech seriously...but then, as I always say, the right to be heard does not convey the right to be taken seriously.

And how is that different than what I wrote? Is Patrick Fitzgerald knocking on Coulter's door?

I'm just glad Coulter isnt giving some half hearted apology and going to rehab to "make everything all better"

Is rehab the new "re-education centers"?

Probably the one thing I like about Coulter: she'll stand by what she says. Even when it's stupid (as it usually is), she's got enough integrity to own up to it. A far cry from "I voted for it before I voted against it". I'll take a loathsome harpy with backbone over a spineless weasel any day of the week...

Probably the one thing I like about Coulter: she'll stand by what she says. Even when it's stupid (as it usually is), she's got enough integrity to own up to it. A far cry from "I voted for it before I voted against it". I'll take a loathsome harpy with backbone over a spineless weasel any day of the week...

Backbone? I just think that she practices the modern art of the medicine show.

Get their attention, make some claims, sell the snake oil.

I don't think for a minute she believes anything she says.

Backbone? I just think that she practices the modern art of the medicine show.

Get their attention, make some claims, sell the snake oil.

I don't think for a minute she believes anything she says.

I think she believes about half of it...but don't kid yourself, selling snake oil takes LOTS of backbone.

I think she believes about half of it...but don't kid yourself, selling snake oil takes LOTS of backbone.

:lol:

You know I never thought of it that way, they can't break character and continue their profession, can they?

:lol:

You know I never thought of it that way, they can't break character and continue their profession, can they?

I was thinking more that it takes a lot of strength of personality and conviction to knowingly sell bull sh--. Ever see a spineless person lie? You can always tell.

This is why John Edwards shouldnt be president for saying that this type of speech "shouldnt be tolerated"

Um...there's this amendment in the constitution that guarantees this type of speech. In fact its so important that they made it the FIRST one.

I love how Ann is bucking the latest trends and is NOT apologetic.

Not tolerating it and actually making it illegal are two separate things.

Let him who has not called someone a "faggot" cast the first stone. Or a Faggot of sticks which is the real definition of Faggot.

Some people think that the use of the term derives from the medieval practice of burning sodomites at the stake using bundles of sticks called "faggots". Sounds about right to me.

Let him who has not called someone a "faggot" cast the first stone. Or a Faggot of sticks which is the real definition of Faggot.

Some people think that the use of the term derives from the medieval practice of burning sodomites at the stake using bundles of sticks called "faggots". Sounds about right to me.

Actually, I don't think I ever called anyone a "faggot".

And I'm still not going to cast any stones, as Ann Coulter has a First Amendment protected right to act like an idiot.

I'm ready to cast one, and I'm not sure what your point is with the bundle of sticks. That's not what the word means to anyone now, and I'm not sure why you or anyone would be more apologetic about her use of the word than she is (and she isn't).

She's an ugly, ugly person for what she says, and yes, I know there are people on the left like her, and they're just as culpable in this lousy mess that actually passes for political dialogue or statement among some neandearthal segment of the American population. I'm not sure where anyone who says the things she says can claim any sort of moral upper hand or class. She's got none of either in my book. And I have to agree with what XB says -- that she probably believes a good half of it and says the rest to shock.

And she's got the freedom to do all of this, and I have the freedom to think less of her every time she opens her mouth.