Takeo Spikes is on the trading block

I can't help but recall that recently Jauron said defense might be what they draft. At that point, we didn't know that allegedly Spikes was on would be on the block. If this story is true, I think they'll address LB in the draft. I'll be severely disappointed if they go with Wire or Ellison at one of the OLB spots. Crowell, I have no problem with, but being that young on defense is extremely risky.

This is gonna be an interesting offseason. Instead of looking like we should be taking a step foward the bills seem to be choping players who can still play. Clements,Fletcher, Willis,Spikes. Anyone care to explain how this helps us take the next step?

next year when we have the #1 pick overall

I told people on this board that he would be traded and many of you didn't believe me. We look, he's on the trading block.

We most likely will get a player for him, but the question is, which team out there needs a LB? I see the Ravens, Bears, or 49ers.

lessee, who needs a linebacker. hey wait aminit we do!

under the rationale that current players are worth more to their own teams, then why would we be trading spikes? cut him, maybe so for value reasons. But nobody who needs LB's as much as us is going to pay more than us for him. Unless they are crazy. And there aren't many gm's that are going to spin the wheel on a damaged player. So trading him is out of the question.

then again, Bill Parcells made Drew Bledsoe his starting QB. So I guess anything is possible..

youre right, we are cutting players who can play. but they are TD's guys. i think they want to replace everyone he brought in with a completely different type of guy. now i know that Fletcher is a high character guy, but maybe between his asking price and their housecleaning, he gets caught up in it. i dont know?

No..They are cutting players who have not performed and/or talking too much...The Bills want the players to play the game, not tell them how they need to run the team. Spikes was upset last year when we cut Adams/Moulds and Milloy and upset again when those chose Losman over Holcomb. And early this year he was upset that the Bills did not offer a deal for Fletcher. These things usually divide the locker room....The bills under Marv and Jauron are trying to build a "team-first" concept....They don't need a player like Spikes. Spikes is an emotional leader of this team, however sometimes he talks too much.

Is anyone putting credence into something reported by Adam Shefter? I don't believe he even knows there is a franchise in Buffalo, much less what their player personnel intentions might be.

First off, any trade of OLB Takeo Spikes would be contingent on a physical by the interested party. If I were privy to the info. at OBD, I am fairly sure that the Bills are aware of his rehab and are relatively sure that he is on schedule to be on par with, oh, say Julian Petersons' level of recovery. To me, otherwise, the topic is moot... he must be doing exceedingly well or the Bills would just jettison him as damaged goods!! On a different bent, if he is a cap hit that has to be addressed, why not approach him about a restructuring or renegotition of his present deal before simply cutting him in the street? That makes more sense to me.

I'm not sure why we want to let Spikes go. I know he wasn't good last year, but he was coming of a majory injury that usually takes 2 years to get back or get close to full strength. Spikes was injured the whole year with a hammy injury and an ankle injury. I think we should give him this year to see if he can come close to regaining his old form.

I'm not sure why we want to let Spikes go. I know he wasn't good last year, but he was coming of a majory injury that usually takes 2 years to get back or get close to full strength. Spikes was injured the whole year with a hammy injury and an ankle injury. I think we should give him this year to see if he can come close to regaining his old form.

I think it has to do with marv wanting a younger team. Spikes is getting up there in age, along with trying to rehab from a serious injury. Theres a bit of money tied up in him and no one knows if he'll ever come back close to 100%. Also, I am starting to think Marv received some info from the team doctors on Spikes and his injury, and things aren't as good as they hoped

True - but sometimes it has to come down to the dollars and cents. The b'gals released a decent LB - Brian Simmons (and a heck of a decent man). But they've publicly stated that they want to re-sign several of their FA's, so Simmons was cut to provide the cash - or so they say. Perhaps it will turn out to be a bad move on their part.

The Bills like the b'gals are a small market club, so I would understand it if they cut TKO.

No..They are cutting players who have not performed and/or talking too much...The Bills want the players to play the game, not tell them how they need to run the team. Spikes was upset last year when we cut Adams/Moulds and Milloy and upset again when those chose Losman over Holcomb. And early this year he was upset that the Bills did not offer a deal for Fletcher. These things usually divide the locker room....The bills under Marv and Jauron are trying to build a "team-first" concept....They don't need a player like Spikes. Spikes is an emotional leader of this team, however sometimes he talks too much.

Boy did you nail this one on the head. There is no bigger jerk than Takeo. I have stayed at the Bills hotel on the road in Tennessee and at the Jets and he would not sign autographs for kids who were wearing his jersey. I can see turning down the adult autograph hounds that are going to try to sell the autograph on e-bay, but to turn away a kid wearing your jersey is appalling. I have witnessed this twice, so it wasn't just a bad night. I don't feel the least bit sorry for him and his situation. He isn't a character guy.