Interesting stat on Chris Kelsay

Kelly the Dog

Pretty surprising. Chris Kelsay, platooning, and playing only a little more than half a game, with Denney and Hargrove taking snaps from him, finished 16th in the entire league in tackles for defensive lineman. And not even our best defensive lineman, obviously. He also led the team in tackles for a loss. Granted, tackle stats can be misleading. And a few too many of those were too far down the field. But Kelsay can get better, and has gotten better every year.

http://sportsline.com/nfl/stats/playersort...ES/2006/regular

Pretty surprising. Chris Kelsay, platooning, and playing only a little more than half a game, with Denney and Hargrove taking snaps from him, finished 16th in the entire league in tackles for defensive lineman. And not even our best defensive lineman, obviously. He also led the team in tackles for a loss. Granted, tackle stats can be misleading. And a few too many of those were too far down the field. But Kelsay can get better, and has gotten better every year.

http://sportsline.com/nfl/stats/playersort...ES/2006/regular

He also tied Dwight Freeney in sacks. :worthy:

But the guy has improved evey year.

i think we clearly signed a player on the rise.it is nice to see the bills take care and have faith in a player they drafted and have watched get better and better every year.go bills in "07

I'm not a huge fan of Marv's personnel moves and the tendency to overspend for lesser talent, but I don't have a problem overpaying a little for your own. I have always agreed with his take that most free agents provide more value when they re-sign with their old team as opposed to jumping to a new town and system. Look at a guy like Larry Triplett. Regardless of what you think about his contract, he was just plain horrible the first half of last year. He started to play better in the second half, but basically they got jack squat for the first 15% or so of that contract, which kinda' makes his deal all the more expensive. If Kelsay doesn't play up to expectations it won't because of a "'break-in" period.

Like a lot of Bills, I don't think Kelsay played as well in 2005 as he did in 2004, but in general he's gotten steadily better. It would have been wiser to throw a lot more money at Nate Clements though, who is the same age and so much more talented AND accomplished. If overpaying for PRIME talent doesn't make sense, then overpaying for lesser talent makes even less, and that IS what Marv has been doing. Reminds me of the old story about the boy who spent all his money on little things he didn't need and then didn't have enough money to buy what he really needed. The Bills did not NEED Kelsay to pick back up where they left off and build up on it. They NEED Clements to do so. Instead, they will likely be re-shaping their defensive approach.....which probably means a breaking-in period.....which may well mean taking a step back....which is like stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime, IMO.

I'm not a huge fan of Marv's personnel moves and the tendency to overspend for lesser talent, but I don't have a problem overpaying a little for your own. I have always agreed with his take that most free agents provide more value when they re-sign with their old team as opposed to jumping to a new town and system.

Completely agree. Overpaying for your own talent is far superior to overpaying for a free agent. You are getting more for your dollar. You are also buying continuity for the team and you are in a far better place to accurately judge a player you watch everyday than a FA who is scouted maybe a half dozen times per year and game-taped. You don't get the minor negatives like waiting for the player to adjust to his new teammates, learning the playbook, learning the system, getting to know the coaches, etc.

I think it is a far better value on average and usually a safer move.

That's why I said before about he and Schobel make a great DE duo. I'm surprised, because it seems like I'm the only one who is noticing this.

Maybe because he is not a full-time player like Schobel. He platoons with Denney quite often. I would agree that the Schobel-Kelsay/Denney "duo" is pretty nice.

I like Kelsay and I think he is on the rise, but usually "great duos" are pairs of superior, full-time players. Something the Schobel-Kelsay tandem has yet to be. Hopefully, this will change as Kelsay improves further.

Maybe because he is not a full-time player like Schobel. He platoons with Denney quite often. I would agree that the Schobel-Kelsay/Denney "duo" is pretty nice.

I like Kelsay and I think he is on the rise, but usually "great duos" are pairs of superior, full-time players. Something the Schobel-Kelsay tandem has yet to be. Hopefully, this will change as Kelsay improves further.

Very impressed with Kelsay's response on the Bills home website. He was HAPPY to be a bill and loves the college type atmosphere here in WNY. It's not like he says all the right things, but actually means it.

Glad to see Marv get 1 of his boys.

Very impressed with Kelsay's response on the Bills home website. He was HAPPY to be a bill and loves the college type atmosphere here in WNY. It's not like he says all the right things, but actually means it.

Glad to see Marv get 1 of his boys.

That I think is the point. Kelsay is one of Marv's boys. Heart, not motor. He is a nucleus type of player. What I mean by that is he is the kind of player that the team builds around. OK, maybe not the Hall of Famer, but you can count on him, and move on to other worries. Shane Conlan type?

That I think is the point. Kelsay is one of Marv's boys. Heart, not motor. He is a nucleus type of player. What I mean by that is he is the kind of player that the team builds around. OK, maybe not the Hall of Famer, but you can count on him, and move on to other worries. Shane Conlan type?

But, but, but he only had 5.5 sacks. Don't you know that is the only stat that matters. Funny how everyone says the Bills overpaid for Kelsay, but Aaron Smith of Pittsburgh had basically the exact same season as Kelsay, is 3 years olders, and got a very similar contract yet no one says anything about that signing.

The thing is....if we could get more pressure by our DT's I think Kelsay (and Schrobel) would have monster years rushing on the edges while still being able to contain the outsides.....

Aside from the inability to stop the run our biggest problem on defense was opposing QB's feeling totally comfortable stepping up into the pocket behind their center and guards......I saw them do it all the time

If they could just push the pocket a little bit better....you would see Kelsay's sack production jump up big time

The thing is....if we could get more pressure by our DT's I think Kelsay (and Schrobel) would have monster years rushing on the edges while still being able to contain the outsides.....

Aside from the inability to stop the run our biggest problem on defense was opposing QB's feeling totally comfortable stepping up into the pocket behind their center and guards......I saw them do it all the time

If they could just push the pocket a little bit better....you would see Kelsay's sack production jump up big time

Part of the equation of sack numbers, which actually makes Schobel's all the more remarkable, is that the Bills are very rarely in the lead for any length of time, and hardly ever with a big league. That is when teams have to pass and sack numbers skyrocket. They also can't stop the run. It's 2-3 times as easy to get a sack on 2nd and 10 or 3rd and 7 as it is on 2nd and 5 or 3rd and 3, which is what we are consistently put in. The Bills last year almost never blitzed, too, because they were worried about the safeties and new defense, combined with the theories of the Cover-2. 5.5 sacks in a little over half the time under these circumstances is actually pretty damn good.

Of course, he got them all in the first few games and sack totals are very often misleading, but that's another thread. :thumbdown: