The Patriots' WR Chad Jackson has a torn ACL.

Tipster19

With two 1st rd picks, I would think that they make it a strong possibility of being one of the teams looking to move up in the draft. I like Detroit's draft position, they could really cash in that #2 pick. New England usually isn't the kind of team that goes chasing after a player or a position but they really do need help at the WR position. I'm sure that they would love to get Georgia Tech WR Calvin Johnson. That would be a scary thought.

What a great draft pick that was and the pats were awarded at the time "major steal" where they took Jackson. The guy always seems to have some kind of nagging injury. I dont know if they'll go wr in the 1st rd only because they have serious age related issues on defense. I'd look for them to improve their lb core and either secondary or oline with their 1st two picks, and maybe add a rb later in the draft.

The guy always seems to have some kind of nagging injury.

if you mean "always" = his one year in the league, i guess you are right. besides, whether he was hurt or not, it's a little early to judge a drafted player after just one year. he actually showed alotta potential when he did play.

if you mean "always" = his one year in the league, i guess you are right. besides, whether he was hurt or not, it's a little early to judge a drafted player after just one year.

Come on--its never too early...John McCargo -- damn bust... :wallbash::wallbash:

I dont know if they'll go wr in the 1st rd only because they have serious age related issues on defense. I'd look for them to improve their lb core and either secondary or oline with their 1st two picks, and maybe add a rb later in the draft.

That was my (vague) impression of their needs, too. Perhaps Hollywood Donohue will chime in...

I dont know if they'll go wr in the 1st rd only because they have serious age related issues on defense. I'd look for them to improve their lb core and either secondary or oline with their 1st two picks, and maybe add a rb later in the draft.

That was my (vague) impression of their needs, too. Perhaps Hollywood Donohue will chime in...

Boston Globe reporter Mike Reiss recently blogged on what he saw as the Pats' order of needs. It shook out like this:

1. LB

2. CB

3. WR

4. S

5. RB

6. P

7. TE's

8. OL

9. DL

I generally agree, although I might switch CB and S, since Harrison and Eugene Wilson seem to get injured every other snap.

OL is definitely not a high priotoriy - all spots are filled, and Belichick and Pioli find solid depth in the middle rounds seemingly at will.

The most pressing needs, as GWB21 mentioned, are on defense, in the LB corps and secondary specifically. Both those units are old, fragile, thin, or some combination thereof. Depth and youth need to be added.

WR is an interesting situation. Brady has consistently been able to do good things with whatever WRs are given to him (see Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney, and previously, David Patten and David Givens), so the front office may be tempted to search the WR scrap heap once again; but at the same time, they are spending a bunch of money on one of the best QBs in the game, and have never supplied him with top supporting talent. Perhaps they'll be tempted to finally see what Brady would do with a top WR talent. Maybe they thought Jackson could be that type of talent, but that appears to be on hold for the time being.

I'm also not sure about RB. Dillon could be back, or he could retire. Maroney had a solid rookie campaign, and should carry the load next year, but I could see the Pats going for a Brian Leonard type to increase backfield versatility.

I'd guess they'll go heavy on defense. Seeing their slow ILBs and 3rd string safeties running behind Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark while Manning did whatever he wanted over the middle could not have left a good taste in their mouths. Belichick will want to fix it.

Boston Globe reporter Mike Reiss recently blogged on what he saw as the Pats' order of needs. It shook out like this:

1. LB

2. CB

3. WR

4. S

5. RB

6. P

7. TE's

8. OL

9. DL

I generally agree, although I might switch CB and S, since Harrison and Eugene Wilson seem to get injured every other snap.

OL is definitely not a high priotoriy - all spots are filled, and Belichick and Pioli find solid depth in the middle rounds seemingly at will.

The most pressing needs, as GWB21 mentioned, are on defense, in the LB corps and secondary specifically. Both those units are old, fragile, thin, or some combination thereof. Depth and youth need to be added.

WR is an interesting situation. Brady has consistently been able to do good things with whatever WRs are given to him (see Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney, and previously, David Patten and David Givens), so the front office may be tempted to search the WR scrap heap once again; but at the same time, they are spending a bunch of money on one of the best QBs in the game, and have never supplied him with top supporting talent. Perhaps they'll be tempted to finally see what Brady would do with a top WR talent. Maybe they thought Jackson could be that type of talent, but that appears to be on hold for the time being.

I'm also not sure about RB. Dillon could be back, or he could retire. Maroney had a solid rookie campaign, and should carry the load next year, but I could see the Pats going for a Brian Leonard type to increase backfield versatility.

I'd guess they'll go heavy on defense. Seeing their slow ILBs and 3rd string safeties running behind Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark while Manning did whatever he wanted over the middle could not have left a good taste in their mouths. Belichick will want to fix it.

I think the Pats will throw a large amount of money at Adalius Thomas. Already a successful 3-4 LB, seems like a fit for the Patsies.

Although the defense is aging, I think that replacing defensive players may prove to be easier to replace than a skilled position player, especially a draft that is challenged at the WR spot. Givens and Patten were productive while they played for New England but I would find it hard to say that they were top tier WRs, not that anyone was inferring that. Jackson looked to be a bright spot but you can shelf that notion now. Gaffney could produce later dividends but I think Caldwell showed his true meddle when it came to crunch time. The Patriots do need ALOT more than Jabar at this point with the WR position. I also have to question the pecking order of the Boston Globe reporter now that Samuel has been tagged. While the Patriots may not trade up with their two 1st rd picks to obtain one of the blue chip WRs, I do expect them to use one of their picks in the 1st rd on a WR. Does this seem unrealistic?

1. LB

2. CB

3. WR

4. S

5. RB

6. P

7. TE's

8. OL

9. DL

That is a dead-on analysis for their needs. Really.

Except for the Maroney part, and only b/c after seeing him this season, barring injury o' course, he's going to give the rest of the league nightmares for a long time.... (dammit! :) )

RB is the one position they're set at. I think there are a lot of teams that would love to have Kevin Faulk and Patrick Pass, let alone Maroney and Dillon. I'd be shocked if they went RB before the 4th round. On the other hand, they werne't afraid to stock pile on first round TE's (Graham, Watson).

If I were the Pats, I would sit tight and use my two picks to add to an already deep roster. I would then go out and sign another WR free agent scrub who will be just as good as any rookie WR (Calvin Johnson included), because Tom Brady will make anyone look good.

Maroney didn't show any evidence that he could carry the load by himself. Without Dillon, his numbers plummeted. That is, when he was healthy. And Dillon just retired.

Maroney is a cross of STL jackson and KC johnson; he is GOLD!

Wish bills had him - we would be set for next 6 years at RB.

he's gonna have to cut his hair tho - only way players are going to be able to bring him down.