Browns must be the most unlucky team....

ganesh

Browns | Bentley may need additional surgery

Tue, 20 Feb 2007 13:46:14 -0800

The Associated Press reports Cleveland Browns C LeCharles Bentley (knee) will likely undergo additional surgery on his injured knee that will rule him out for next season and possibly his career.

I am truly sorry this happened and I hope he overcomes it. That is the risk a team takes when they give large bonus's and the reason a player looks to get as much up front as possible. I believe the Patriots and other teams are not giving these large amounts of up front or garanteed money is because of this risk. The game is violent and can end a career in one instant. Again, hope he makes it back.

Good thing we didn't sign bentley. Really though that sucks. I hope for the browns and Bentleys sake it's not the end of his career.

No doubt about that, if the Bills ever cease to exist I'd probably be a Browns fan. Good fan base, not a flash and glitz kind of team or town either.

This is why I will never fault a player for trying to get as much cash as he can from whatever team wants to pay him. There is no loyalty to players...hell we turn against half the players who still play for our favorite team. Football players have short, dangerous careers that often have longterm effects on their lives. Nothing is guaranteed but that signing bonus, and a career ending injury is always one hit away.

People get all bent out of shape when a "feed my family" comment comes out every so often. And those comments are ridiculous because of the level of hyperbole. But the essence of what they represent is not ridiculous. Professional football is a business and these men have careers. Just because it is a game and a form of entertainment to the fans, it is an entirely different animal to the people involved. No one begrudges an accountant when he asks his boss for a raise. No one whines about "loyalty" when a doctor leaves a hospital to take a higher paying job. You take care of yourself and what's important to you.

This is why I will never fault a player for trying to get as much cash as he can from whatever team wants to pay him. There is no loyalty to players...hell we turn against half the players who still play for our favorite team. Football players have short, dangerous careers that often have longterm effects on their lives. Nothing is guaranteed but that signing bonus, and a career ending injury is always one hit away.

People get all bent out of shape when a "feed my family" comment comes out every so often. And those comments are ridiculous because of the level of hyperbole. But the essence of what they represent is not ridiculous. Professional football is a business and these men have careers. Just because it is a game and a form of entertainment to the fans, it is an entirely different animal to the people involved. No one begrudges an accountant when he asks his boss for a raise. No one whines about "loyalty" when a doctor leaves a hospital to take a higher paying job. You take care of yourself and what's important to you.

well said. Also the window is so small for the players to actually cash in on all the work they've put in to make it into the NFL.

Good thing we didn't sign bentley. Really though that sucks. I hope for the browns and Bentleys sake it's not the end of his career.

Not really. If the Bills signed Bentley there's about a 99% chance this never would have happened to him. It was a fluke instance that just happened by chance because of where he was at a particular moment in time.

I know what you mean though, and agree with your sentiment. Good luck to him, and even the Browns.

This is true, they have a short span to make their money, but the money these players are making in their contracts in one year is more then the average person will see in decades. For example, Lets say you work for a company making $50,000 a year, and an NFL player signs a one year contract for $1,000,000.

It would take you 20 years at your job to make what they made in 1 year. They only work from July to February (if they make the playooffs and SB) with the occasional training session or team meeting in that time off. So in technically, they are making that million in 1/2 a year. They are also making the million playing a game, something most of us would love to do and sometimes play for nothing with friends. If invested correctly (and not blown dumping $1 Bills at strippers or average Joes) these players can live for years off of that one year salary very comfortably. Also considering these players were also given a free education at decent colleges (while most average people aren't given that gift) these guys should have a plan for when the day comes that they aren't playing anymore. Unfortunately the majority of them take the "Free College education" for granted and don't actually take it seriously.

I don't have much sympathy for players when they want the big money, or when their career ends. You were given the gift of being physically able to play proffessional football where you made millions on just a rookie contract.

I read the article this morning. We all knew it was coming, but my first thought was:

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

I will be surprised if Bentley ever plays another down, for the Browns or anyone else.

For what it's worth, you can't get cut for an injury, so if you do get a career-ender, you are probably paid the balance of your contract, or at least some arranged settlement. I'm not exactly sure how it works - there must be an insurance side of things as well.

Now, that doesn't mean you get paid squat if you get injured in the last game before your free agency, or something like that. Or while playing under a franchise tender, etc.

(woot! 1000 posts)

This is true, they have a short span to make their money, but the money these players are making in their contracts in one year is more then the average person will see in decades. For example, Lets say you work for a company making $50,000 a year, and an NFL player signs a one year contract for $1,000,000.

It would take you 20 years at your job to make what they made in 1 year. They only work from July to February (if they make the playooffs and SB) with the occasional training session or team meeting in that time off. So in technically, they are making that million in 1/2 a year. They are also making the million playing a game, something most of us would love to do and sometimes play for nothing with friends. If invested correctly (and not blown dumping $1 Bills at strippers or average Joes) these players can live for years off of that one year salary very comfortably. Also considering these players were also given a free education at decent colleges (while most average people aren't given that gift) these guys should have a plan for when the day comes that they aren't playing anymore. Unfortunately the majority of them take the "Free College education" for granted and don't actually take it seriously.

I don't have much sympathy for players when they want the big money, or when their career ends. You were given the gift of being physically able to play proffessional football where you made millions on just a rookie contract.

This post is so ridiculous, I don't know where to start.

First off, they work the entire year. They have to work out, extremely hard, several days a week, or they cannot play the game. That is not fun, whatsoever.

They work harder in that one year than most average joes as you call them will work in their 20 years. The strain on their bodies and the physical exertion and damage that is done to an NFL player's body is unimaginable. Most play (if they make it that long) for 5 years and then walk funny, in pain, for the next 50.

That "game" is not only not a game (it's serious business in every way) but is, again, 100 times harder to play than whatever work it is that you or I or your neighbor is doing, and I included myself and I work hard (at least at what I do).

The free education and not putting it to use is a bunch of crap too as the average football player has a higher graduation rate than the "average joe" collegian, so they are actually going to class, because they have to, and usually doing the work. And then trying to learn playbooks and offenses and defenses and studying film, while it may seem like fun, ain't easy.

And finally there are less then 2000 players in the NFL, the 2000 best at what they do. There are millions and millions that play football or want to play football but can't. They are at the top of their profession and this is America. The top 2000 in most professions make the same percentage-wise amount more than the average joe on the lower end of the spectrum.

For what it's worth, you can't get cut for an injury, so if you do get a career-ender, you are probably paid the balance of your contract, or at least some arranged settlement. I'm not exactly sure how it works - there must be an insurance side of things as well.

Now, that doesn't mean you get paid squat if you get injured in the last game before your free agency, or something like that. Or while playing under a franchise tender, etc.

(woot! 1000 posts)

Well, I do not think that is the case. My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that as long as I am pysically capable of playing, I am not injured. So in Bentleys case, if he can walk, he can play. Not to a level that he could "play" in the NFL, just that he can play. Now, he is not injured, and can be cut at anytime. Hopefully that makes some sence. Kind of like the stance the NFL takes on disability for ex-players. They basically say if you can talk, you can get a job therefor not disabled

This post is so ridiculous, I don't know where to start.

First off, they work the entire year. They have to work out, extremely hard, several days a week, or they cannot play the game. That is not fun, whatsoever.

They work harder in that one year than most average joes as you call them will work in their 20 years. The strain on their bodies and the physical exertion and damage that is done to an NFL player's body is unimaginable. Most play (if they make it that long) for 5 years and then walk funny, in pain, for the next 50.

That "game" is not only not a game (it's serious business in every way) but is, again, 100 times harder to play than whatever work it is that you or I or your neighbor is doing, and I included myself and I work hard (at least at what I do).

The free education and not putting it to use is a bunch of crap too as the average football player has a higher graduation rate than the "average joe" collegian, so they are actually going to class, because they have to, and usually doing the work. And then trying to learn playbooks and offenses and defenses and studying film, while it may seem like fun, ain't easy.

And finally there are less then 2000 players in the NFL, the 2000 best at what they do. There are millions and millions that play football or want to play football but can't. They are at the top of their profession and this is America. The top 2000 in most professions make the same percentage-wise amount more than the average joe on the lower end of the spectrum.

Wow, and you called my post rediculous

I wish my days between January to June could be spent just working out with physical trainers to keep myself in shape. While they work out in their own home Gyms with personnal trainers, or at the teams facility at no cost to them, I have to go to the gym after I already put in a full day of work and pay a membership to a gym (plus any extra for a trainer) just to go work out.

And yes, playing football is not easy on their bodies and it does take a toll on them, if they don't like it, go and try to make that kind of money doing an office job then.

As for the education, how many pro football players actually stick around to their final year? Yes athletes have to go to class, but how many aren't given exceptions by teachers because they are the star QB or WR?

So what if they are the top 2,000 of their profession. They still make more then the top 2,000 Doctors, or Lawyers for playing a game(yes it is also a buisness, but it is a game)

My post was against feeling sorry for a person not making 15 million instead of only 10 because they only have a short span to make that kind of money or having to have a career cut short because of an injury after they only had a chance to make a couple million dollars.

If they received such a great education then they should have a career waiting for them when football is over, so then they go from making the millions to making what I am making now, without the cost of student loans, or other bills the average Joe had to spend to get to where they are. As I said, in one year they will make more then what the average person makes in 20, so if they only played that one year, they now have 19 more years to continue making money in another career while living off the million.

It looks like you are talking about something very different from the content of my post. I don't feel sorry for professional athletes either, but I don't pretend that they live in this fantasy, lottery winner world that many make it out to be. The point of my post was that I will never fault a player for doing whatever is in his power to get the most payout during his career. I will never fault a player for being "disloyal" or being a "mercenary."

But to address your post, I agree with some of it. Many NFL players make more money in less than 5 years than the average person will see in a lifetime. I disagree with your thought (unless I am misinterpreting) that they were somehow "given" this cushy job that pays them millions. You think NFL players are simply a group of guys lucky enough to be born with certain athletic abilities? That's ridiculous. You think doctors are just a bunch of people who were "given the gift of being mentally able" to practice medicine?

These guys aren't playing football like we do with our friends. They aren't working out like you do with your Gold's membership. It is serious, taxing work that 99.9% of human beings probably aren't capable of doing day-in and day-out for several years. The salaries they make are not of their creation. They are the result of people like you and me caring enough about a "game" to the point that it's "players" can be paid like rockstars. If people stopped tuning in each week to watch these games take place, you'd hear about the average NFL player complaining that some teacher makes twice his salary and only works 3/4 of the year.

And your point about a college education is a little off I think. There are thousands of college graduates who every year struggle to get entry level jobs in their fields. There are millions more who get laid off somewhere down the line and can't find work. I struggle to see this world you paint where a football player can play a "game" for 4-5 years and then automatically have a job waiting for him in the area of his college major. What if you quit your job today to open your own business. You think you could just slide back into your field easily a few years later if your venture didn't work out?

I mean, I don't think anyone feels sorry for professional athletes that make millions of dollars. My only point was that it is ridiculous to expect them to do silly things like give a "hometeam discount" or begrudge them when they want to bolt from your team to make a few more million elsewhere.

If they received such a great education then they should have a career waiting for them when football is over, so then they go from making the millions to making what I am making now, without the cost of student loans, or other bills the average Joe had to spend to get to where they are. As I said, in one year they will make more then what the average person makes in 20, so if they only played that one year, they now have 19 more years to continue making money in another career while living off the million.

Bad assumption on the $1MM. He's going to take a major tax hit in that one year, plus pay a big cut to his agent. He's lucky to come away with half that at the end of the year.

Plus, why are you comparing him to the average Schmo? He's doing something that generates interest and entertainment on a massive scale. He's certainly earned a higher level of pay than Mr. 9 to 5.

And further, this is his career and in this career the timeframe is shorter and the money condensed. What's he going to go do for the next 19 years? He's trained as a football player, not as a doctor, webmaster or accountant.

Bad assumption on the $1MM. He's going to take a major tax hit in that one year, plus pay a big cut to his agent. He's lucky to come away with half that at the end of the year.

I just used 1 million as a base, most players make much more then that, and yes they take a tax hit, just like every other tax paying citizen

Plus, why are you comparing him to the average Schmo? He's doing something that generates interest and entertainment on a massive scale. He's certainly earned a higher level of pay than Mr. 9 to 5.

So what if he does something that entertains people. How does that mean he deserves Millions? Doctors save lives, police officers, firemen, soldiers put their lives on the line to protect you, do they make millions? i'd say they deserve the higher paycheck

And further, this is his career and in this career the timeframe is shorter and the money condensed. What's he going to go do for the next 19 years? He's trained as a football player, not as a doctor, webmaster or accountant.

Yes, the career is short, but when he's done, its not like he's dead. He can still work a normal job like everyone else and make money. So in the one year he can make millions, then in the next 19 he could work somewhere else or even go back to school and then into another career to make money