Realization

I remember reading last year that Donte Whitner used to play some CB and was willing to shift down if Kiwaukee and Ashton weren't up to the task.

If Nate leaves and we don't find a suitable replacement, wouldn't Donte move to CB and Bowen fill in? Bowen was supposed to be the starter last year anyways, so wouldn't this work out greatly in the short term?

I remember reading last year that Donte Whitner used to play some CB and was willing to shift down if Kiwaukee and Ashton weren't up to the task.

If Nate leaves and we don't find a suitable replacement, wouldn't Donte move to CB and Bowen fill in? Bowen was supposed to be the starter last year anyways, so wouldn't this work out greatly in the short term?

Many draft pubs did say the Donte has the size/speed combo to play CB but feel we're better of keping Donte at SS for the long term as who wants too see him shift year in and year out? As what happens if Bowens doesn't do the job at SS? Then we shift Whitner back there but then what do we do at CB? No need to make multiple holes when don't have to.

Then we can roll Dan Brandenburg to strong safety. He runs a 4.4.

If Henry Jones comes back for the NFL Veteran Minumum (for 10+ yrs svc) we could move Whitner to CB and then be set in the defensive backfield.

I'd rather have Kurt Schulz, IMO he was a better overall player.

PLUS, he still lives in buffalo if Im not mistaken. I recall resading somewhere that he is a financial advisor or something like that.

:rolleyes:

I'd rather have Kurt Schulz, IMO he was a better overall player.

PLUS, he still lives in buffalo if Im not mistaken. I recall resading somewhere that he is a financial advisor or something like that.

:rolleyes:

Hate to get in to an argument about players over 10 years ago, but do you seriously think Schulz was a better player than Jones? You can not believe that.

Dont get me wrong, when I was a kid I used to love Henry Jones.

However, I liked Kurt a bit more. Kurt could make the picks and make the big hits.

If you look back at their career numbers, I believe you'll find that Schultz had more consistently good seasons than Jones, but Jones had that spectacular 2nd year that everyone remembers.

Links

http://www.databasefootball.com/players/pl...lkid=JONESHEN02

http://www.databasefootball.com/players/pl...lkid=SCHULKUR01

Now what do you think?

However, I liked Kurt a bit more. Kurt could make the picks and make the big hits.

If you look back at their career numbers, I believe you'll find that Schultz had more consistently good seasons than Jones, but Jones had that spectacular 2nd year that everyone remembers.

Links

Now what do you think?

This result is not surprising as it was often the case that Schulz seemed to lead if not then finish ranked very high up among the Bills INT leaders, but I swear to a higher force that many of his INTs seemed to look like the QB would make a lousy pass to far from his intended receiver and it would then go straight to Jones who also tended to be horribly out of position to cover the WR, but fortunately both he and the ball were out of position to the same location.

I know that this certainly was not what was really happening and that Jones deserves a lot of credit for being opportunistic and when the pass was tipped or the throw was otherwise poorly thrown he was johnny on the spot quite often and would make the INT. He deserves credit for those picks because in the end we got the ball on a turnover (which are often all important to game outcomes) and he got the pick.

However, I think part of the reason that I (and I think other Bills fans) looked askance at his play because while he threw his body around with wreckless abandon it often seemed that it was a fellow teammate who had made the initial hit that ended up getting hit (and sometimes hurt) as Kurt flew into the pile.

Schulz deserves credit for being opportunistic, but i do not think anyone would mistake him for a good cover guy who could watch and jump routes or whom QBs feared to throw against or receivers feared his coverage. More often than not I feared for his fellow teammates with Kurt flying around with total abandon.

Im sorry but thats just ridiculous.

If that was the case and Jones was better hed have put up at least ONE other freakish statistical year.

Plus, remember that when Jones got his picks the Bills had a bad defense and a great offense which would put teams behind, forcing them to throw and throw and throw.

When Schulz got his picks we were involved in more low scoring contests, our Defense was good, the offense was not. Teams did not have to throw as much as certainly didnt feel the need to take as many risks.

Im not acting like Jones was crappy or that Schulz was infinately better. However, I would venture that he was certainly no worse and if anything he deserves credit for consistency.

Another thing to ponder: In most defensive schemes, the strong safety will cheat up to play against the run or man coverage on a TE/ slot receiver, where the free safety more often plays center field and reacts to the play in action. So, the free safety is more likely to get interceptions than a strong safety assuming equal abilities in respect to the position.

That said i am not promoting Schulz or Jones in this debate

Another thing to ponder: In most defensive schemes, the strong safety will cheat up to play against the run or man coverage on a TE/ slot receiver, where the free safety more often plays center field and reacts to the play in action. So, the free safety is more likely to get interceptions than a strong safety assuming equal abilities in respect to the position.

That said i am not promoting Schulz or Jones in this debate

Thank you for interjecting some reality into this discussion...

Now what do you think?

I think the fact that two free safeties rank #2 (Tony Greene) and #3 (Mark Kelso) on the team's all-time INTs list, while the top SS (Steve Freeman, who once held the franchise record for games played) just barely makes the list tied for seventh place, reinforces my opinion that interceptions are a bad way to compare players at two different positions.

But that's just me...

Bills all-time leaders in interceptions:

40 George "Butch" Byrd, CB

37 Tony Greene, CB/FS

30 Mark Kelso, FS

28 Charles Romes, CB

26 Nate Odomes, CB

25 Mario Clark, CB

23 Booker Edgerson, CB

23 Steve Freeman, SS

23 Nate Clements, CB

18 Kurt Schulz, FS

16 Henry Jones, SS

Links

Now what do you think?

Kurt Schultz couldnt sniff Henry Jones' jock strap on his best day. Give me a break.