What Marv DIDN'T say at the Press Conference

firstngoal

Wouldn't it have been great (especially from a PR standpoint) if Marv would have come out and said

"As an organization we will do whatever it takes to get this team to the next level and are committed to bring a Super Bowl Championship team to the Western New York area".

My guess is had Marv said something along those lines there wouldn't be ANY reason for ANY Bills fan to come away with a negative feeling toward the future.

I personally don't like the way the Redskins throw their money around in FA, but it sure gives their fans a positive feeling that the team is willing to go the extra mile or two to have a chance to "WIN IT ALL" regardless of their choices in FA.

:blink:

Wouldn't it have been great (especially from a PR standpoint) if Marv would have come out and said

"As an organization we will do whatever it takes to get this team to the next level and are committed to bring a Super Bowl Championship team to the Western New York area".

My guess is had Marv said something along those lines there wouldn't be ANY reason for ANY Bills fan to come away with a negative feeling toward the future.

I personally don't like the way the Redskins throw their money around in FA, but it sure gives their fans a positive feeling that the team is willing to go the extra mile or two to have a chance to "WIN IT ALL" regardless of their choices in FA.

:blink:

Action speaks louder than words. Under-promise and over-deliver. Maybe he's practicing these. Free agency starts very soon. Relax, we'll all know soon enough who is signed and later who is drafted.

One of his opening lines in the press conference was relating what he told the players at the end of the year. This was "Our goal is not to get to the Super Bowl, but to win the Super Bowl."

I guess I am struggling to figure out what else he needed to say...

One of his opening lines in the press conference was relating what he told the players at the end of the year. This was "Our goal is not to get to the Super Bowl, but to win the Super Bowl."

I guess I am struggling to figure out what else he needed to say...

Sure, he did say that he told the players at the end of the year that his objective was not to just play in the bowl but to win the bowl. But my point it he could have followed that up with what I stated that they are committed to doing whatever it takes rather than to say that they won't go overboard in FA.

Never at any point in the presser did he give anyone the impression that they are ready to do whatever it takes to take the team to the next level.

The Bills would have been better off not holding the press conference and let the Bills fans hope they would be agressive in the offseason to improve this team.

That's My point!

Doing "whatever it takes" means overpaying for players and coaches. Obviously that strategy hasn't worked for the Redskins.

Yes, but we all have hope everyyear that the Redskins will assume their rightful place as Superbowl Champions and prove once and for all that Ralph is cheap and that's why we're not Superbowl champions.

I wonder... does doing whatever it takes include sacrificing newborn babies on the alter of some obscure Pagan diety? Because I'd be down for that. Imagine that press conference... I'm sorry, presser. Marv chanting, JP holding the baby, Dick drinking the blood from a paper cup, fans calling Ralph cheap because he didn't spring for a gold trimmed goblet with rubies and diamonds in the base.

did he not say ,"i dont want to give away any stratagey" (Marv Levy)? yes he did say that. this man is bringing back championship foot ball to Buffalo, just you haters wait. of course hes not gonna say oh yeah were gonna g o spend a ton of money and get some big name players. the fact is that this team was under the radar all last year and wants to stay there. they want to be the last team on everyones' minds so when they come out of no where next year with a really solid team, theyll be able to whoop everyone. it really is simple, strategy. Marv didnt say anything cause he wants the whole NFL to think hes lost it and cant go balls to the wall to get the players he needs. :rolleyes::devil::worthy: :worthy:

Doing "whatever it takes" means overpaying for players and coaches. Obviously that strategy hasn't worked for the Redskins.

The strategy didn't work for them last season, but it did in 2005 when they made the playoffs and advanced to the Divisional Round.

Their strategy at least gives their fan-base hope!

This Bills team is the 12th worst team in the league according to where we are Drafting and we are losing at least 2 starters from an average defense.

To take this team to the next level and give it a chance to compete for a playoff berth, they need a very aggressive offseason which won't happen according to Marv!

The strategy didn't work for them last season, but it did in 2005 when they made the playoffs and advanced to the Divisional Round.

Their strategy at least gives their fan-base hope!

This Bills team is the 12th worst team in the league according to where we are Drafting and we are losing at least 2 starters from an average defense.

To take this team to the next level and give it a chance to compete for a playoff berth, they need a very aggressive offseason which won't happen according to Marv!

HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT?!? He just said they wouldn't go overboard. Overboard does not equate to agressive at all. Marv probably has the agents he wants targetted and he'll go after them to the worth that he thinks they are.

The fact that we're dissecting a friggin' press conference to figure out how our season NEXT year is going to go is ridiculous. All speculation now before free agency and the draft is a moot point!

Marv said they're not going to get into a bidding war with other teams over free agents. Read what you want out of that, it effectively limits which players we have a realistic chance of getting.

Read what I want out of that....hmmm

I guess I could read it that we won't bid against another team......we only go after a player that no other team wants.

I could also read it as we are not going to get fixated on any particular player & over-bid (due to other teams being interested) to acquire the player.

Which seems closer to what ML probably meant?

I also think he might have had NC in mind when he made the statement.......maybe?

Read what I want out of that....hmmm

I guess I could read it that we won't bid against another team......we only go after a player that no other team wants.

I could also read it as we are not going to get fixated on any particular player & over-bid (due to other teams being interested) to acquire the player.

Which seems closer to what ML probably meant?

I also think he might have had NC in mind when he made the statement.......maybe?

I'm fairly certain those free agents last year (Tripplett, Royal, Reyes, Fowler, P.Price, Bowen, K.Thomas, A.Davis, A.Thomas, and Nall) came to Buffalo because we paid the highest. You could make the case a few of them enjoyed their visit and appreciated the atmosphere so they signed here. But money does talk.

Let's admit to ourselves that none of those guys were highly anticipated on the open market. Buffalo went after them because they inspired little interest around the league. And that's why we got what we paid for. They are more depth than starters. Of that group, four were regular starters, (Tripplett, Royal, Fowler, P. Price) one was benched, (Reyes) one was injured and then didn't play. (Bowen) Combined, these additions played relatively average, but not much above that. I have a feeling our additions this season mirror last season's free agent signings.

As for NC, I have to believe they'll let him go in FA. OK fine, but do we grab someone and get an above average player elsewhere? Cash to the cap ideology indicates probably otherwise.

It would not be fair to assume that, but once March 2 rolls around, we'll see just what a lot of this Press Conference really meant. They'll finally be forced to show their hand and I'm looking forward to see what they have in mind. If that involves competing, then perhaps that's not a bad thing. I think Marv has enough sense not to mortgage the farm for any one player, but who we acquire will have a sizable impact upon where our strengths are next season.