This is BullSh#$

zevo

Man what a rant..I thought this thread was about whether we should tag his A$$?

Personally, I dont see why Ralph would care about the moral issue (to tag or not to tag) in the court of public opinion or at the Supreme Court...He is gonna screw WNY and Buffalo out of a team sooner or later...who cares if he makes Buffalo a worse destination than it is now for top Fa's ?

Fact, tagging him would make us look worse and get fewer top Fa's and our record will get worse and that with the poor attendence due to a poor product will finally give RW the moral justification to move.

Im not sayin' but I'm sayin'.

Then again, I'm just a cave man..what do I know.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole post is right on. We've already begun rationalizing why it's okay to let NC go. He's gonna demand too much money, he doesn't play an important enough position in the Cover-2, etc, etc... We're talking about having 33M in cap room and not able to sign our own? We've cried this small market thing long enough. Nate was a very valuable player in Buffalo this season. He made game-changing plays that contributed to wins. 7-9 could easily become 5-11 and then our front office doesn't look so good. And don't forget what a corner can allow to happen. Roy Williams dominated Terrence McGee in the Detroit game until Clements came over. By then it was too late. But I forgot, CB's aren't worth much in the Cover-2.

Buffalo is a laughing stock to the rest of the NFL. Sorry to be a doom and gloom person, but a lot of people said 7-9 was more than they expected. I myself saw them going 5-11 with the influx of multiple players, coaches, and a new GM coming in. But what if we took a step back next season? What if 5-11 happened again? This is a league in which the Jets and Ravens had 2006 seasons where they won 6 and 7 games more respectively than 2005. Why can't we do that with some new above-average players?

The fans are tired of mediocre. Last year I thought they'd do something to make the team more attractive above and beyond the free agent finds like Tripplett, Royal, Fowler, Bowen, P. Price, etc. NC would go a long way into making people believe the Bills were in it for this year. Now, I don't think so. I think they're going to be rebuilding until doomsday or they leave for greener pastures.

Nate was better in the last 8 games than the first games 8 of last season. Which Nate will show up next year for the Bills or whatever other team he lands with. If he plays like he did in his last 8, he'll be dominant and earn the big bucks that he's demanding.

I'm not suggesting that he'll ever turn into a super-dud free agent like SS Adam Archuleta did for the Redskins, but Nate will have to bring his A-game to every game to justify his signing bonus and contract dollars.

Have to agree with you, Pyrite Gal. (Sorry, Badol). I remember TOO many plays where NC was a non-factor or simply got burned. If Playmaker wants to get the big bucks he should be more consistent. Just sayin'...........

So your basically saying you either

1. Did not watch the games

or

2. Were completely drunk through all of the games

I can not remember ONE time all season that Nate was "burned." In fact I can not remember more than one time all season that Nate was even scored upon. Was Nate even scored on more than once all season? That is darn impressive. For some reason some posters, have not figured out what "shutdown CB" means. It does not mean the same thing as "playmaker CB" and shutdown CBs deserve to be paid just as much. Playmaker CBs do a good job against their receiver and make an awesome play every other game or so. Shutdown CBs limit their receivers EACH AND EVERY GAME to 2-3 maybe 4 catches. That is what Nate is. Nate is simply a shutdown CB. Very, very, very rarely will you ever see him give up a big day against a receiver. In fact the last time he did was to the Miami receiver over 19 games ago. Heck, ill let him have 1 bad game ever 20 or so games.

I challenged people to do this last year. Go to the games and try to focus on NC a good amount of the time. You will see he is just all over his receiver and limits them all game. The reason people don't give him enough credit is that the networks dont aknowledge this, unless he is intercepting the ball. They are focusing on how bad McGee is doing, or how bad the run D is, and how strapping Brett Favre is. They dont show the fact that NC is absolutely dominating his receiver.

So once again. I have NO idea where you are getting these "burned" comments from and P.S. a "non-factor" at the CB position is usually a good thing.

Nate was better in the last 8 games than the first games 8 of last season. Which Nate will show up next year for the Bills or whatever other team he lands with. If he plays like he did in his last 8, he'll be dominant and earn the big bucks that he's demanding.

I'm not suggesting that he'll ever turn into a super-dud free agent like SS Adam Archuleta did for the Redskins, but Nate will have to bring his A-game to every game to justify his signing bonus and contract dollars.

He wasn't really 'better' persay. Most of us were just paying more attention to him. He still shut down his receivers in the first 8 games as he did in the last 8 games. He simply started batting down a few balls in the latter half of the season, which gave him TV credibility. Television has ruined some peoples perception of a good player.

Badol-

what do you think were the differences in the Jerry Gray D of 2004 within which Nate performed well enough to deserve the Pro Bowl berth he won and 2005 when your theory of why Nate struggled was that Gray played him too far back.

My sense of the difference in production seen in these two Ds was in part every unit picking up the slack for each other so that when any unit was having an off day the unit was not struggling all day to simply survive. The injury to TKO obviously made a difference that year, but in the big picture i thought the problem was not that Gray shifted things too much and adopted an ineffective style but actually that he did not shift things up enough and opposing Os figured out the weaknesses of the D an exploited them.

The bottomline for NC though is that rather than having him play loosely being a bad thing for NC, I actually think this fits his skills and talents quite well and actually out Cover 2 is not the best scheme for NC because he is so good at reading the QBs eyes and reading plays that when you give him time with relatively loose coverage to read the play he can jump routes for INTs and also range all over the field and make pickoff and break up passes intended for players he is not covering.

Overall being a hair over 6-1 and am over-confident player I think NC can do press coverage fairly well even though i think he is a better player with loose coverages, but particularly given the Bills generally requiring CBs to bail out 10-15 yards downfield our scheme is not gonna put him in position to be a playmaker much at all.

This usage makes him and probably no CB in a Cover 2 scheme worth giving top dollar too.

I'm not saying NC is a bad player, I am simply saying that our D will be more productive with an allocation of cap room to get our best players at other positions rather than CB.

A good cover corner does not want to be lined up 10 yards off of the ball. That scenario is for handicaps. In 2004, the Bills were much more aggressive in coverage because they had the personnel to dominate the LOS. In 2005, with lesser personnel, Gray was not able to make the best use of his personnel. He froze up. He simply is not up to the task, and had LeBeau never been brought aboard, I'm sure Gray would have been canned after 2003. Check out the precipitous dropoff the Redskins defense took with Gray coming on board and calling coverages last season.

2006 started a lot like 2005, because Fewell was using two cover corners, Clements and McGee, in the same passive, zone coverages Gray had used. Clements wasn't actually BAD, but he just wasn't making plays. In the cover 2, if your D-line isn't getting pressure, Deion Sanders wouldn't be able to make plays. But if your D-line is great, it doesn't matter if your corners can't cover because all the thows will be in front of them. The problem the Bills faced was that their D-line was bad. With the exception of the bizarre Dolphins game, the Bills weren't getting pressure from the front 4 right thru their blowout losses at Chicago and home against NE. The choice to put Clements in man coverage against the opponents best receiver made opposing QB's work thru their reads, which bought the D-Line more time and made the entire defense more effective. More pressure from the D-Line meant less blitzing was needed, which made the otherwise cover 2 defense, more sound.

That's how it worked. Without Clements, will the Bills defense revert to the ineffective unit that got hammered by Chicago and NE. Very well could happen. Taking away the opponents best receiver is a pretty effective tactic, because the dropoff between option A and B can be precipitous. I mean, is Lee Evans better than Peerless Price?

BUT HEY, if the Bills want to be married to a pure scheme, then fine. Get a young Warren Sapp type DT. Get a LDE capable of double digit sacks. And get some good pass rushing depth to rotate with those guys. And then get a Brian Urlacher to play MLB. You know, the 250 lb. guy who can "attack" the LOS and also drop into coverage. It's pretty simple, right? I say stick with what worked and build off it instead. Vive la difference. Who knows, maybe in time you acquire those guys, and then you really have a special defense.

The ONLY reason I can think of NOT to build the defense around Clements is the scenario where Clements were hurt. But then look at Clements history. The guy is out there every week.

Cover 2? I thought we ran Cover 2 last year? The same defense that Clements was the leading contributor of 2-3 of our wins.

Perhaps you will have to piece the variables together for me, DIBS. I for one don't seem to be able to see them, apparently. If I remember correctly, McGee was being torched for most of the season, and Youboty barely played which led to speculation that he was under-achieving. Whitner seemed to be the only one showing some promise. If I remember right, Clements was the leading contributor in about three of our wins. Greenbay (he tipped the game-winning, goal-line stop, interception into another players hands), NY Jets (the game would have been much closer without his TD returning INT), and another game which seems to leave my mind at the moment. He also played extremely well in Houston, and very good in (for the most part) every other game of the season. So please piece the variables together for me.

I am not yet an attorney. I am a business and law student. Some day I will be an attorney. Secondly, a verbal contract is very simple. Offer, consideration, acceptance. All three variables have been publicly stated. It does not need to be referred to as a contract. It is a contract simply due to the three variables. For example: when you purchase a piece of furniture, and work out a payment plan, most people do not see that as a contract. Yet it is. Something does not have to be referred to as a contract, to in fact, be a contract.

... and no, I am not stating that he WOULD take legal action. Only that he would have the option.

I took the same courses years ago, and I believed the same way you did. The real world is a very different place and the place you are speaking from now is separated by a CHASM from reality. You'll find out soon enough.

He wasn't really 'better' persay. Most of us were just paying more attention to him. He still shut down his receivers in the first 8 games as he did in the last 8 games. He simply started batting down a few balls in the latter half of the season, which gave him TV credibility. Television has ruined some peoples perception of a good player.

Not only that but those games that are televised we see Nate play down by down whereas guys like Champ Bailey on a highlight show like Sports Center. While I won't argue that Nate's a better CB then Bailey I definately have to agree with you he is one of the best in the NFL and underappreciated by many of the faithful posters here. If we lose him I fully expect our defense to take a step back (hopefully not two) as feel we could regain that step is replaced by our NT find an attacking MLB that Marv seems to think we need and sign a good CB such as Nick Harper, David Macklin or Travis Fisher if Nate is lost.

or

I can not remember ONE time all season that Nate was "burned."

All corners get beaten. Every single one of them. In every game they play.

Yet even though you can't remember ONE single time all season of the multiple instances that Nate lost his battle, you still think it's appropriate to rip on somebody else's powers of recollection?!

Nice work. :rolleyes:

the 250 lb. guy who can "attack" the LOS and also drop into coverage.

Baaahhhhh, those guys are a dime a dozen. I just saw a display table at Loblaw's where they're practically giving them away.....

Yeah, I totally agree, if the guy's going to get paid, then he's going to need to play outstanding football all the time.

IF Losman and Evans continue to develop, I'll be very interested if we offer them what the market calls for. WR for one is a position that has been particularly lean in free agency both this year and last. CB is that way this year. There are some positions you cannot afford to be cheap in. Having a premier LT and QB make things a lot easier. On defense, MLB and 2-3 guys at the DT and DE make things all the better. Still, it's comforting to know a guy can be left alone in coverage. We've got young safeties who despite playing well this year are still young. They'll progress, but having experienced CB's make up for a lot of their mistakes.

I truly don't see us signing NC. If so, who replaces him? Free Agency might provide the answer, but I see guys leaving and I'm afraid their replacements won't be their equal. I see why F-B doesn't fit the system and why Kelsay might be expendable with Hargrove and Denney capable of stepping in. I sure hope Youboty is ready to play or we devote another resource (FA signing and/or draft pick) to shoring up CB position. Nate leaving is not a good thing, no matter which way you spin it. You cannot lose three defensive starters and maintain the same level of play.

I'm glad Coy Wire is happy with the atmosphere. Hopefully, that'll be a bargaining point in getting guys to come to Buffalo. I don't think there are many people who feel about DJ the way players think about Tom Coughlin. You can't treat pros like that and have good chemistry.

A good cover corner does not want to be lined up 10 yards off of the ball. That scenario is for handicaps. In 2004, the Bills were much more aggressive in coverage because they had the personnel to dominate the LOS. In 2005, with lesser personnel, Gray was not able to make the best use of his personnel. He froze up. He simply is not up to the task, and had LeBeau never been brought aboard, I'm sure Gray would have been canned after 2003. Check out the precipitous dropoff the Redskins defense took with Gray coming on board and calling coverages last season.

2006 started a lot like 2005, because Fewell was using two cover corners, Clements and McGee, in the same passive, zone coverages Gray had used. Clements wasn't actually BAD, but he just wasn't making plays. In the cover 2, if your D-line isn't getting pressure, Deion Sanders wouldn't be able to make plays. But if your D-line is great, it doesn't matter if your corners can't cover because all the thows will be in front of them. The problem the Bills faced was that their D-line was bad. With the exception of the bizarre Dolphins game, the Bills weren't getting pressure from the front 4 right thru their blowout losses at Chicago and home against NE. The choice to put Clements in man coverage against the opponents best receiver made opposing QB's work thru their reads, which bought the D-Line more time and made the entire defense more effective. More pressure from the D-Line meant less blitzing was needed, which made the otherwise cover 2 defense, more sound.

That's how it worked. Without Clements, will the Bills defense revert to the ineffective unit that got hammered by Chicago and NE. Very well could happen. Taking away the opponents best receiver is a pretty effective tactic, because the dropoff between option A and B can be precipitous. I mean, is Lee Evans better than Peerless Price?

BUT HEY, if the Bills want to be married to a pure scheme, then fine. Get a young Warren Sapp type DT. Get a LDE capable of double digit sacks. And get some good pass rushing depth to rotate with those guys. And then get a Brian Urlacher to play MLB. You know, the 250 lb. guy who can "attack" the LOS and also drop into coverage. It's pretty simple, right? I say stick with what worked and build off it instead. Vive la difference. Who knows, maybe in time you acquire those guys, and then you really have a special defense.

The ONLY reason I can think of NOT to build the defense around Clements is the scenario where Clements were hurt. But then look at Clements history. The guy is out there every week.

Good post.

Very good points.

"I can not remember ONE time all season that Nate was "burned." In fact I can not remember more than one time all season that Nate was even scored upon. Was Nate even scored on more than once all season?"

Maybe once at home but even so the receiver might not have been Clement's responsibility

"I challenged people to do this last year. Go to the games and try to focus on NC a good amount of the time. You will see he is just all over his receiver and limits them all game."

To be fair CableLady does attend home games but so does Badol. KellytheF&BD, & MarkIV and myself, plus a few more here. Missed one home game in ten years and have in the past even worked for the Bills- FWIW

I realize for the majority of posters that their only option is to watch the Bills on TV as they are out-of-town but there are a couple of prolific posters that are local that also do not attend many Bills games if at all. I tape the games I can and re-watch them later and am always surprised by what not only the camera misses but the announcers fail to mention. Many, many of the sacks by the Bills defenders which many of the young (to me (-: ) are just overly happy about are indeed "coverage sacks" Don't think for a minute that NC play against the other teams top receiver wasn't a big factor for this.

Last season the defenses were switched up between man, zone and cover two with more cover two the last 6-8 games. I expect the Bills will use the cover two more this upcoming year due to the fact that pass coverage responsibilities will be more ingrained and reactionary. Another thing on the cover two is that there is a real focus on the front four with the DT's at the forefront in stopping the run. IM sure most will remember Travis Henry's long runs up the gut against us last season. We were soft up the middle at both DT and MLB and expect that both these positions will be addressed through either FA or the draft. If ML doesn't nail these two positions, expect a long season even if the Bills elect to pay Clements the big bucks and an even longer one if he departs via FA as expected and the DE's cannot put consistent pressure on the QB.

Too bad ML made a rookie GM mistake and caved into Clements agents demands about not franchising NC this year in order that he sign last season. IM led to believe that it was more than a verbal promise but this is secondary info and will leave it at that. But ask yourself this: If you made a bad decision that cost your employer and had public implications; would you say I gave my word or would you say- I really screwed up and put it in writing (-: when facing the media

Everything is Spin today, even from really good men like Marv Levy

I took the same courses years ago, and I believed the same way you did. The real world is a very different place and the place you are speaking from now is separated by a CHASM from reality. You'll find out soon enough.

So those real cases I attend live, and the casebooks that I study are actually in a different universe? Not in the real world, you speak of? :rolleyes: You say you took the same classes ... did you get your bachelors in Business and then attend law school?

All corners get beaten. Every single one of them. In every game they play.

Yet even though you can't remember ONE single time all season of the multiple instances that Nate lost his battle, you still think it's appropriate to rip on somebody else's powers of recollection?!

Nice work. :devil:

There is a different between being "beaten" and being "burned." Yes, even the best of the best of the best are beaten every game. As in their receiver may get past them by a yard or so, or might juke them in another direction. Yet being "burned" (to me anyhow) is being absolutely torched by the receiver. As in the receiver out ran you by 10 yards.

"I can not remember ONE time all season that Nate was "burned." In fact I can not remember more than one time all season that Nate was even scored upon. Was Nate even scored on more than once all season?"

Maybe once at home but even so the receiver might not have been Clement's responsibility

"I challenged people to do this last year. Go to the games and try to focus on NC a good amount of the time. You will see he is just all over his receiver and limits them all game."

To be fair CableLady does attend home games but so does Badol. KellytheF&BD, & MarkIV and myself, plus a few more here. Missed one home game in ten years and have in the past even worked for the Bills- FWIW

I realize for the majority of posters that their only option is to watch the Bills on TV as they are out-of-town but there are a couple of prolific posters that are local that also do not attend many Bills games if at all. I tape the games I can and re-watch them later and am always surprised by what not only the camera misses but the announcers fail to mention. Many, many of the sacks by the Bills defenders which many of the young (to me (-: ) are just overly happy about are indeed "coverage sacks" Don't think for a minute that NC play against the other teams top receiver wasn't a big factor for this.

Last season the defenses were switched up between man, zone and cover two with more cover two the last 6-8 games. I expect the Bills will use the cover two more this upcoming year due to the fact that pass coverage responsibilities will be more ingrained and reactionary. Another thing on the cover two is that there is a real focus on the front four with the DT's at the forefront in stopping the run. IM sure most will remember Travis Henry's long runs up the gut against us last season. We were soft up the middle at both DT and MLB and expect that both these positions will be addressed through either FA or the draft. If ML doesn't nail these two positions, expect a long season even if the Bills elect to pay Clements the big bucks and an even longer one if he departs via FA as expected and the DE's cannot put consistent pressure on the QB.

Too bad ML made a rookie GM mistake and caved into Clements agents demands about not franchising NC this year in order that he sign last season. IM led to believe that it was more than a verbal promise but this is secondary info and will leave it at that. But ask yourself this: If you made a bad decision that cost your employer and had public implications; would you say I gave my word or would you say- I really screwed up and put it in writing (-: when facing the media

Everything is Spin today, even from really good men like Marv Levy

I'm not sure what the Spin is for me on this since I really have little agenda regardong NC but hoping the Bills do well with him or without him/

My sense is though that NC is a very good player who I have enjoyed watching and I think that particularly with Samuel franchised and off the market that NC is the most desirable CB out there.

That being said I am not freaked at all that it appears he is gonna leave this team as I think their are myriad ways that he can be replaced in our scheme and still yield comparable results. I guess one piece of bias I do have and if one want to call this conclusion spin then so be it. I like NFL football exactly because it is the ultimate team sport and I feel that no individual player cannot be replaced.

I find the hyperventilating going on about NC mostly amusing as while I think he is a good player who at times can be very good and deserve the moniker playmaker he has taken on, I do not think Nate was robbed (and I see few objective sources making the case he was) mot making the Pro Bowl this year.

He had some very good games this year (the game where Chambers has zero catches and his work against Marvin Harrison was top notch) but as an opponent he would not scare me (now facing Deion at the peak of his game was a scary thing) and at least part of his shut down status was that their was such a disparity in play between him and McGee early in the season that it was simply a better deal for opposing OCs to challenge McGee rather than challenge NC.

The Bills will get the relief of a couple of factors in replacing NC

1. McGee is much improved in his CB play- No one would mistake him for a consistent shutdown CB, but definitely he reversed the bad play which got him benched and he was playing well enough in the final 8 games that finally Clements got to see a bit more action as teams were not looking as quickly to exploit McGee. I think his improvement is something reasonable to see as his problems were not that he was simply overmatched athletically, but he seemed to have problems shifting from the old Bill bend but do not break style to the Cover 2 press style. He seemed to calm down a bit when he was forced to sit and not make as many poor reads.

In particular, he seemed to have difficulty realizing that the rookie safeties were going to make mistakes and he did not make some fairly obvious reads that the safety was going to be late coming over and he did not stick with the WR going deep when he should have particularly as he was releasing the WR when there was really no one coming into the short zone for him to break his coverage and switch to.

One advantage for theCB in the Cove 2 is that the assignment is not that difficult as the Cover 2 CB is not required to play alot with his back to the CB or run with fleet footed WRs as unless the CB make a read that he should go with a WR running the fly, the responsibilities are to cover the short zone.

2. The relative lack of complexity of the Cover 2 for the CB will also make it easier for a youngster like Youbouty to replace NC, It is also quite doubtful that this youngster will be a shut down CB but though this is a great thing to have it simply is not essential that a CB be a shutdown guy in the Cover 2, NC made great plays like his one against Houston which was pivotal in holding on for that win, however, it was not a phenomenal play that few corners can make and I hope and expect McGee in his second year of Cover 2 play and even possibly Youbouty whose collegiate strengths lend themselves to press coverage can actually make the good but not extraordinary plays NC pulled off.

3. Our cap room will help as the Bills should be able to shop for the second tier CB necessary to play at the CB level we need to make the Cover 2 work and even better reinforce the DT rotation to get some more penetration and pressure on the QB in passing downs. In our second year running the cover 2 and with more consistent generation of pressure from the rush, i think we will not need or be so dependent on having a shutdown skilled CB.

Folks are reasonable to worry that McGee may bit as good next season the last half of this past season. After all NC was pretty unproductive in 2005 before rebounding to have a good season this year. If NC could sometimes be bad then it is reasonable to also fear that mcGee can also be off again, However, mostly I think this shows the importance of the Bills acquiring another CB in FA to give us a plan B since though I expect Youbouty to be able to step in as a nickel it will be a great leap for him to be good enough to be our number 2.

The key to this decision is that NC is not worth spending half or more of our existing FA money on, This team will likely be a better producer using this cash on a second tier CB and reinforcing this team in the trenches.

or

Who peed in your Cheerios? I'd like $1.00 for every time our Section said "Damn it! Nate" last year. I'd split it with ya.

Who peed in your Cheerios? I'd like $1.00 for every time our Section said "Damn it! Nate" last year. I'd split it with ya.

Then that clearly shows the intelligence of your section. Either that or they couldn't tell the difference between the number 22 and 24. If you taped the games, go back and watch them again. If you did not, then buy the tapes, and watch them again. Nate's worst game of the season, was giving up something around 7 reception(s) (can anyone confirm this?) to the oppositions receiver. He had a bad game early in the season where he missed a couple of tackles. That is all! I believe he gave up (maybe) ONE score all season. ONE score. I believe Champ Bailey gave up more than one TD all season.

Please post your section number here, so I know not to buy tickets anywhere near there.

Screw this loyalty to not tagging clements again. Tag his ace and if he doesnt like, tough!

No way. It isn't loyalty, it is a man keeping his word. It is honor. I would lose respect for the bills if they go back on their word and honor and tag clements. Lying is wrong, especially like this.