Marty Schottenheimer fired!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if they hire a one-year stop gap and then go after Cowher.

Cowboys must be kicking themselves. They probably would have rather had Marty S. than Wade Phillips.

The Cowboys don't need to kick themselves. After watching pro football since 1960, I believe that Wade Phillips got more out of his Bills talent than Marty has ever gotten out of his. Marty pulled the same stunt in Kansas City, with a hall of fame quarterback and the number one seed, out after the first game played. And in Cleveland, with superior defense, and Bernie Kosar at quarterback, he loses in the fourth quarter to Denver. Marty could stike gold, and trade it for a lead mine.

In light of the issues that will hit USC soon...I predit $pano$ throws the kitchen sink at Carroll and he takes the bait.

That is insane......Carroll wants complete authority over personnel....which means A.J. Smith has no job in San Diego....If A.J has to go, then why fire Marty.....

Why is no one giving a shot at Norv Turner...

I think Ted would be their DC.

He's not a very good DC either.

But the post I was responding to clearly thinks Ted is a candidate to replace Marty as HC.

2 more names to add to the list of possible Marty replacements:

Ted Cottrell

Mike Sherman

As I see this today morning, I am wondering if A.J Smith screwed Marty by waiting and firing him this late after all the HC jobs were taken. May be it was so bad that Smith wanted to ensure that Marty was not considered for other HC jobs by delaying this. There are still a few good HC candidates available for San Diego, however no other opening for Marty.....

As I see this today morning, I am wondering if A.J Smith screwed Marty by waiting and firing him this late after all the HC jobs were taken. May be it was so bad that Smith wanted to ensure that Marty was not considered for other HC jobs by delaying this. There are still a few good HC candidates available for San Diego, however no other opening for Marty.....

So he'll take his $3-4 million to the golf course every day and recharge his battery. I think he got treated like crap, but I won't shed too many tears.

Nobody touches Larry Brown in that department! In the course of 12 calander months, he was paid something like 70 million dollars not to coach the Pacers and the Knicks. Good work if you can't get it! :lol:

I'm willing to offer those teams a better deal: in exchange for just $40 million, I'll go 24 months without coaching the Pacers, Knicks, or the Pistons. If that's not a good enough deal, I'll also refrain from coaching the Lakers or the Heat at no additional charge. :thumbsup:

That is insane......Carroll wants complete authority over personnel....which means A.J. Smith has no job in San Diego....If A.J has to go, then why fire Marty.....

What do Dennis Green, Norv Turner, and "Mooch" all have in common?

They are all two time losers as HC because they all sucked.

Throw Pansy Pete Carroll on this pile as well.

With all the names being thrown out here, I still think best candidate is Mike Martz, with Mike Sherman being second.

Martz has already taken a team to the SB, so theoretically he knows what it takes to get there.

On this short notice, TC would make a great DC, considering he already knows Wades system.

As for the OC ..????

What do Dennis Green, Norv Turner, and "Mooch" all have in common?

They are all two time losers as HC because they all sucked.

Throw Pansy Pete Carroll on this pile as well.

With all the names being thrown out here, I still think best candidate is Mike Martz, with Mike Sherman being second.

Martz has already taken a team to the SB, so theoretically he knows what it takes to get there.

On this short notice, TC would make a great DC, considering he already knows Wades system.

As for the OC ..????

RUSS GRIMM. He was an eyelash away from being the Steelers HC. I think he is just jonesin' to be the top man.

I think Ted would be their DC.

Dead solid perfect on Fredo Carroll, ganesh. And I'm not so sure you're wrong about the Norv/Cottrell tandem, either. Turner probably wouldn't be my first choice, but Smith did get a chance to see him in action during the 2001 season...

Why wait until now?

Schot told NFL Network tonight that "agrees" with characterizations of his relationship with Smith was dysfunctional. Adam Shefter earlier claimed that the final straw for Smith was Schottenheimer's desire to bring in his brother in some defensive coaching position. That apparently blew the roof of the Chargers house.

It was about power. Smith vs. Schottenheimer.

The Cowboys don't need to kick themselves. After watching pro football since 1960, I believe that Wade Phillips got more out of his Bills talent than Marty has ever gotten out of his. Marty pulled the same stunt in Kansas City, with a hall of fame quarterback and the number one seed, out after the first game played. And in Cleveland, with superior defense, and Bernie Kosar at quarterback, he loses in the fourth quarter to Denver. Marty could stike gold, and trade it for a lead mine.

Except that they never had a 1st round bye much less a #1 seed when Montana was there and they beat a Houston team that had won 12 games in a row on the road to get to Buffalo and his #1 seed teams were led by Elvis Grbak?

Pretty amazing that anybody thinks the Chargers will be better because of this.