well, some proof that ruben went after gilbride

Perhaps true. He was good. But there is no denying the last year or two he was here, he looked average at best. Too much money for the production we were getting out of him. Now, perhaps that was gilbride, perhaps it was any number of things, but he needed a change of scenery.

I love his dig at the former staff-- they brought people in who thought they invented football. Remember how arrogant they were when they came in. Man am I glad that chapter is over. TD proved wrong again. PW and RB still had a lot of football left and it wasn't going to break the bank to sign them.

I think we all already knew this, but here is some proof. In retrospect, given the people involved, I think that we can all agree that Ruben went out in the proverbial blaze of glory. How can you not root for the guy?

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/arti...ill_in_chicago/

In addition to his doing something many Bills fans wished they could do themselves (confront Kevin Killdrive) there were a variety of extenuating circumstances which while not justifying him unprofessionally going over the table at someone, do mitigate the appropriate punishment for this act:

1. 1. Decrying him for lack of leadership ignores the fact the was the sole OL starter who had played his position as a pro much at all in 2002 Teague was new at C, Jennings was new at LT, MW was a rookie at RT, and a revolving door of players ending up with Sullivan (I think) at RG were led by Ruben as Vinky was essentially an inexperienced OL coach at the job. Brown was simply an outstanding leader here.

2. His action may have not be directly motivated by standing up for his teammates, but as productive yardage gaining Henry also has public disputes with Killdrive his actions at coincided or came as an act of being a good teammate.

3. His wife was in the midst of a difficult pregnancy and he probably reacted rashly in the face of a lot of pressure.

4. Ultimately off field stuff does not count generally in who stays or who goes, but Ruben was a public fixture as a Bills with his extensive charitable work for causes such as organ tranplantation, his motorcycle rally fundraisers. his role on the Channel 2 sports show, his radio gig on WGR, etc. It really is no surprise that even after he went to play for Chicago his family retained residence here in Buffalo for at least a while.

I can see how the Bills needed to take Brown to the woodshed after he physically challenged one of his employers. However, though guilty of a transgression it seems that the community certainly and the team potentially (the actually ended up cashiering Killdrive and GW for their gross incompetence after that season) the team might have been better off if they worked out a solution where Brown publicly did a mea culpa for his actions and paid penance for them by acting for the community and Bills customers.

Yet, such real world complexities are beyond an NFL team and likely TD so Ruben paid the price by leaving the Bills. Ironically, he profited from these events as he proved to be a good enough player to achieve an SB with the Bears.

I am glad for Brown though sorry for the Bills are ur still continuing OL difficulties.

One thing I always found interesting about the situation is that when the 2003 season came to an end both Gregg and Killdrive were gone -- as was the OL coach at the time. Thus, Brown's departure was NOT driven by animosity from the coaching staff.

Correct in part, The word From Buddy the "Wonder Dog" M.M. did not want a strong vocal player in the locker room. R.B. would have re-done his contract and T.D. was willing, but M.M. said no.

Again, back to my point...rot in hell TD, I wish we still had Rueben and Phat Pat. No way they ever wear another uniform if Levy was the GM at the time.

As evidenced by one year of management and the well-reported notion that we're letting locker-room leader London Fletcher go? :rolleyes:

I mean, I'm optimistic about Marv, but don't think that he won't make what he views as the best football decision, if it comes to letting a player go when the player believes his value is higher than the organization's assessment of him.

If you mean that Marv would have recognized that Pat and Ruben had some left in the tank, maybe you're right. But part of the problem with those two looking like they were pretty much through had to do directly with the coaching staffs and game plans they were a part of. It's pretty tough to gauge, without those problems, where we and those players would have been at all. It amounts to an alternate football universe.

Correct in part, The word From Buddy the "Wonder Dog" M.M. did not want a strong vocal player in the locker room. R.B. would have re-done his contract and T.D. was willing, but M.M. said no.

Great, so if Buddy is correct, then meathead sent our starting LG and our Strength and Considitioning Guru to the Bears.

What a fugged up era in Bills history.