right on b de cesare

beausox

Re: http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20070...?tbd1012885.asp

Waiting lists abound in NFL except for Buffalo which likes to pretend it has a rabid following- most of whom decry lack of sell outs so they can get theirs free!

Sad but true. Buffalo fans have proven they'll rabidly support only a team that is winning at the moment. Even a frickin' hockey team. Dark days ahead, I fear... <_<

Sad but true. Buffalo fans have proven they'll rabidly support only a team that is winning at the moment. Even a frickin' hockey team. Dark days ahead, I fear... :)

I think every city in America that has a pro team experiences the same thing. When the team is winning people jump on the bandwagon because it's exciting when your local team wins !

I think every city in America that has a pro team experiences the same thing. When the team is winning people jump on the bandwagon because it's exciting when your local team wins !

You need look no further than New England and their Patsies. Sox have staying power, obviously, but the Pats will eventually end up on the heap with the Bruins and Celts.

You need look no further than New England and their Patsies. Sox have staying power, obviously, but the Pats will eventually end up on the heap with the Bruins and Celts.

Only difference being, the Celtics and Bruins are not really in any danger of leaving Boston. Considering how pathetic the Celtics and Bruins have been for about 15 years, they can still get by. Not sure if it is the same situation in Buffalo.

Everything is cyclical. In the 80s you couldn;t get a seat for a Celtics game, now they can't give them away. I used to go to Boston every year in the mid 90s for Sox games and get seats no problem, no forget it. Winning makes a team popular and produces sellouts. Other areas, with lots of corporations and businesses do well because of those sales.

Right now we're bleeding people and businesses and the team sucks, it all adds up to no sellouts.

Sorry but I'm not supporting a team that loses and loses and loses. It's simple economics. Entertain me for forget it.

Everything is cyclical. In the 80s you couldn;t get a seat for a Celtics game, now they can't give them away. I used to go to Boston every year in the mid 90s for Sox games and get seats no problem, no forget it. Winning makes a team popular and produces sellouts. Other areas, with lots of corporations and businesses do well because of those sales.

Right now we're bleeding people and businesses and the team sucks, it all adds up to no sellouts.

Sorry but I'm not supporting a team that loses and loses and loses. It's simple economics. Entertain me for forget it.

[/quote

Boston is first a baseball town the other three major sports are tied for fourth. Even during Super Bowl years Schilling, Damon, Manny, A Rod, Pedro and others, others!!!dominated days hours before the game!

Are you willing to take that the ultimate end...the Bills leaving town?

Great question, MBD. I just hope not everyone shares this "win or forget it" attitude.

I find it amazing that fans feel so secure that the Bills will never leave, that they're willing to try and "make a point" by boycotting games. Ralph is trying to secure the Bills' future in Buffalo with all his head-butting with the NFL big-wigs, and here fans aren't even showing-up to games.

Next time maybe Ralph just pulls-up stakes instead of giving fans a chance to buy seats, a la 1998.

May I remind you the greatest comeback playoff game in NFL history was blacked out? We had Jim Kelly, Thurman, Andre, Bruuuuce...we had been to two straight Super Bowls...but we couldn't sell out a freakin' playoff game! So what excuse can you offer to explain that?

PTR

May I remind you the greatest comeback playoff game in NFL history was blacked out? We had Jim Kelly, Thurman, Andre, Bruuuuce...we had been to two straight Super Bowls...but we couldn't sell out a freakin' playoff game! So what excuse can you offer to explain that?

PTR

Being retarded?

I never understood how the Bills couldn't sell out home playoff games. To me that smacks of a lack of interest.

Being retarded?

I never understood how the Bills couldn't sell out home playoff games. To me that smacks of a lack of interest.

I know this is going to offend a lot of people on the board, but the Bills should really market hard to the Toronto metro area. Create ticket packages that give transportation to and from games. Heck, I'm a gigantous Bills fan from Ottawa and I still make the trip out to Buffalo at least twice a year. In my office alone there are 15 Bills backers. The team should market itself to Canada. Canadians love NFL football. That would get you 10 to 15,000 more people to games couldn't it?

I know this is going to offend a lot of people on the board, but the Bills should really market hard to the Toronto metro area. Create ticket packages that give transportation to and from games. Heck, I'm a gigantous Bills fan from Ottawa and I still make the trip out to Buffalo at least twice a year. In my office alone there are 15 Bills backers. The team should market itself to Canada. Canadians love NFL football. That would get you 10 to 15,000 more people to games couldn't it?

I totally agree. I live in Syracuse and I believe that the Rochester and Syracuse markets are tapped out. They should move training camp to St. Catherines or Hamilton and market in southern Ontario much more than they do. If they did a better job at it then every game would sell out. They aren't doing enough marketing to these immense populations.

that's how they sell out now :wallbash:

Buffalonians can't be bothered to make the trek to the stadium way out in Orchard Park.

They're too busy patting themselves on the back as the self-professed best fans in the World to waste time actually attending a game.

:lol:

A friend of mine still living in Buffalo told me no one gives an S about the Bills because the Sabres are doing well. I often ask him which would be worse for Buffalo, the Bills or the Sabres leaving. He usually shuts up after that.

Maybe the Bills have become a luxury WNY can't afford any more. If WNY can't support the team in good times and bad, then maybe it's time for a dose of realism and say good bye. Maybe Ralph is trying to fit a round peg in a square hole by trying to keep the team in WNY (good intentions and all).

I don't have the (any) answers, but just seems to me that WNY is (becoming) too small and (becoming) too poor to hold on to what is essentially a luxury item. Heck, I could probably go out and buy a pretty expensive car right now, but I know I couldn't afford it over the long term. Same difference.